Tools you didn't expect to use so much

dwasifar

Do you have something in your collection that's unexpectedly become a go-to?

For me it's a little Stanley 1/4" socket set.  There's not much to it; it's just a quick-release ratchet handle, a spinner handle, a single extension, and a small collection of sockets, all contained in a little blow-molded case the size of a paperback book.  There's nothing in there that's not a duplicate of something I already had a better one of when I bought it.  I was out of town and needed to do a quick car repair when I bought it at a Wal-Mart about 15 years ago.  I put it on a shelf when I got home, never expecting it to get much more use.  But it turns out that little set is a perfect grab-and-go for small repairs around the house, and it gets used more than my USA Craftsman 1/4" sockets, even though they are arguably better.

Anyone else?

stan1.thumb.jpg.f37756bcfed8df75eb98b6a946c42ba4.jpgstan2.thumb.jpg.88810f93b2a4b85a45d42f6018fedd10.jpg

There are some gems in this thread but that thread limits to price.: http://forum.toolsinaction.com/index.php?/topic/9518-cheap-tool-buys-that-work-out-well/&page=1

One that has changed how I work is the Wera 059297 Kraftform Kompakt 62 Pouch Set

sYG8vqA.jpg

This set unfortunetly doesn't include SAE security hex so I bought the Wiha set:

76096-2__34335__14042.1461686912.jpg?c=2

I took out the Phillips and Pozi and some other bits I rarely use, but those in an auxiliary bag I have in my car. This set now works for hex (Metric and SAE), security hex (Metric and SAE), Torx, Security Torx. It essentially gives me a screwdriver version of all those bits, in a little pouch that takes up about half the space in my tool bag than my DMM.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

There are some gems in this thread but that thread limits to price.: http://forum.toolsinaction.com/index.php?/topic/9518-cheap-tool-buys-that-work-out-well/&page=1

One that has changed how I work is the Wera 059297 Kraftform Kompakt 62 Pouch Set

sYG8vqA.jpg

This set unfortunetly doesn't include SAE security hex so I bought the Wiha set:

76096-2__34335__14042.1461686912.jpg?c=2

I took out the Phillips and Pozi and some other bits I rarely use, but those in an auxiliary bag I have in my car. This set now works for hex (Metric and SAE), security hex (Metric and SAE), Torx, Security Torx. It essentially gives me a screwdriver version of all those bits, in a little pouch that takes up about half the space in my tool bag than my DMM.

Those look great.  Were they really in the "I'm surprised I use these that much" category, though?  I can't imagine buying something so nice and thinking I wasn't going to need them much.

8 minutes ago, dwasifar said:

Those look great.  Were they really in the "I'm surprised I use these that much" category, though?  I can't imagine buying something so nice and thinking I wasn't going to need them much.

I actually got them for free through SYW points but I expected them to be used but not as much as I have used them. I had been using 1" bits and a T-handle or another type of bit holder...this set is just soo nice that I no longer grab those tools. 

Ive got two.

The Knipex pliers wrench, I didn't really know what to expect when I first purchased one but now they have easily become my goto adjustable.  I also grab them for bending/shaping wire, brackets, etc. 

Also the Makita 3/8" impact socket sets.  I grabbed one to keep with my impact, but I quickly found myself grabbing it to work on every thing.  Nice selection of sizes in a tidy and compact case.

• Like 1