Milwaukee's Future?

Jronman

3 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I was speaking about how ridiculous the Flexvolt battery is on an impact or drill.
It's comical.
I like having a reasonable size and weight for most of my tools, then I slap 2 batteries on my Rotary Hammer and go to town. I have 2x Dual chargers and downtime is non-existent.
Flexvolt is great for a stationary tool, but a joke for most one handed tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost always use 2.0 batteries unless I really need the power of the 5.0s. Mostly use the 4.0 on the radio or fan, .5.0s on the impact wrenches.

• Like 2

I almost always use 2.0 batteries unless I really need the power of the 5.0s. Mostly use the 4.0 on the radio or fan, .5.0s on the impact wrenches.

I am with you 100%!

I have 4x 2.0 for my impact, lights and sub compact drill. I have one beater 4.0 for my radio and 3x 5.0 for the heavier stuff.

This just makes sense to me!

Scary, we seem to think alike on more than just meters!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HiltiWpg said:

I am with you 100%!

I have 4x 2.0 for my impact, lights and sub compact drill. I have one beater 4.0 for my radio and 3x 5.0 for the heavier stuff.

This just makes sense to me!

Scary, we seem to think alike on more than just meters!

It's 'cause we be smart! We learn'd good!

@Jronman 3.0 don't exist at this point but I suspect they will when they move to 21700 cells. 6.0 has been out for a year or so, they're stupid expensive; for 10% more money I can get a 2-pack of 5.0 instead, and if memory serves the 2500mAh 18650s have a higher discharge rate than 3000mAh, that may have been remedied at this point though. 

[mention=54955]Jronman[/mention] 3.0 don't exist at this point but I suspect they will when they move to 21700 cells. 6.0 has been out for a year or so, they're stupid expensive; for 10% more money I can get a 2-pack of 5.0 instead, and if memory serves the 2500mAh 18650s have a higher discharge rate than 3000mAh, that may have been remedied at this point though. 

21700 are much bigger than 18650. I don't think Makita has plans to increase the size of their batteries anytime soon.If they did, the new batteries just wouldn't fit the current X2 tools. 

2.5mm each side, plus plastic housing thickness, that's close to centimetre of added thickness between the batteries. Just not enough room.

1 hour ago, FrosBros82 said:

I agree with some of the comments above. While I think the chainsaw and table saw will be cool, I question if the technology will be behind compared to the other companies.

I don't see it as a bad thing. Every tool company has had first releases for all their tools.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

I don't see it as a bad thing. Every tool company has had first releases for all their tools.

It's a damn fine time to be into power tools. Sometimes we fight but we're really lucky no matter which brand we're in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BMack37 said:

It's a damn fine time to be into power tools. Sometimes we fight but we're really lucky no matter which brand we're in.

I'm old enough to remember having to cut chases into masonry by hand! Every screw turned in by hand. Now my arms ache daily, every morning when I awake, the subtle pain is ever present. 

We are so lucky! The youngsters even luckier! 

What will be the next milestone in power tool tech? 

• Like 1

Next big thing predictions

battery tech improvements. li-ion to solid state I heard it will be even more so what li-ion was to ni-cd

when bluetooth tools become a time saver and more convenient to use?

Less user wear

Very interesting reading about what other guys do for a living ,when a 2ah  battery serves your daily needs...that is a nice world to live in....unfortunately for the construction world ,we need more POWA and more runtime ....tools are kept in job site boxes bolted down, on site.......it's generators or cordless 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Framer joe I don't charge my batteries often. A 2.0 for my drill and one for my impact last me a couple weeks on average. 3 flex 6.0's last my recip, light, and multitool a couple weeks as well. I'm sure I would need MORE POWA tm if I did as much framing as you but I don't. Would be nice to use MORE POWA tm but our crew is having a slow year.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, Jronman said:

Well played. For most companies, I am sure they have plenty of first time items that they either strike gold on, or it's complete garbage. Hence the second generation version seems to always come out.

No shit @Jronman ..I'd love to use a 2ah for a couple weeks....I have mad batteries just for my company never mind the companies I run........yuppies buy high end homes just out of the city and the wealthy tear down homes to put up mansions...that's where they work is, at least for us......hope work picks up for you,..you sound like a good guy..

For the last three weeks my 4 man crew has discharged nearly every battery on the tool truck each day. That is 10-6ah flex volt 5-5ah and 8-4ah. House demo/reno  has my garage charge room busy every night. I have only two 2ah that were from kits which I have never used look like little babies.

For the last three weeks my 4 man crew has discharged nearly every battery on the tool truck each day. That is 10-6ah flex volt 5-5ah and 8-4ah. House demo/reno  has my garage charge room busy every night. I have only two 2ah that were from kits which I have never used look like little babies.

You guys don't charge on the job? Sounds like you need the big dewalt charge station

• 6 months later...
On 6/12/2017 at 5:07 PM, Jronman said:

so when is the 3.0 and 6.0 m18 batteries coming out? or are they already out? 

I realize I'm necroposting, so the 6.0Ah 48-11-1860 may not have been out at that time.  I'm guessing you're referring to wanting a 3.0Ah slim pack, to compliment the currently available 6.0 XC pack.  I say this because the original XC batteries are 3.0Ah, at twice the capacity (XC!) as the original slim 1.5Ah packs.

I'd love to see the companies put out more packs based on 20700 or 21700 cells, and not just 2x and 3x packs like the Dewalt 6Ah 20V Max and 9Ah Flexvolt.  We could have cooler running 3.0Ah slim packs that might hold their voltage up better under load.  We'll never see 12V tools based on them unfortunately, not with the form factor so many went with for 18650 based tools (inside the handle).

34 minutes ago, mlindholm said:

I realize I'm necroposting, so the 6.0Ah 48-11-1860 may not have been out at that time.  I'm guessing you're referring to wanting a 3.0Ah slim pack, to compliment the currently available 6.0 XC pack.  I say this because the original XC batteries are 3.0Ah, at twice the capacity (XC!) as the original slim 1.5Ah packs.

I'd love to see the companies put out more packs based on 20700 or 21700 cells, and not just 2x and 3x packs like the Dewalt 6Ah 20V Max and 9Ah Flexvolt.  We could have cooler running 3.0Ah slim packs that might hold their voltage up better under load.  We'll never see 12V tools based on them unfortunately, not with the form factor so many went with for 18650 based tools (inside the handle).

I don’t understand the technology a whole lot, but i gather that the bigger cells are the same length, just fatter (bigger around) and thats why they would no longer fit in the handle? if so, would it be possible to make a larger battery but just make them longer instead of fatter? Then the battery would just extend further out, but still fit. Probably one of those “easier said than done” things.

Easier said than done, basically.  Yes, a company could make a longer format 18xxx cell (85, 90mm).  This would have very limited marketability though, as pretty much all industries that have standardized on a cylindrical Li-Ion battery have gone with the 18mm x 65mm cell.  Some applications work fine with slightly larger dimensions, so the 20/21mm x 70mm are a reasonable upgrade, such as electric vehicle packs, or power tool slide packs.  Beyond that, it would take a lot of engineering to work.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:57 PM, Bremon said:

There's no way in hell M18x2 isn't their future; they get backwards compatibility, "M36" power, and more efficiency with more intelligently designed batteries. They've already found the limits of 18v. Look how easily the Fuel mitre stalls on bevel cuts. For those of us using multiple brands how many times have you seen an overheated battery that doesn't say M18 on it? There's a reason NPS17 had basically 0 high-draw tools revealed. Even the mud mixer, while awesome, is just a tradeoff of RPM for more torque, a more robust gearbox (5 planetary rather than 3?) and a more ergonomic bodystyle. 

Well I’ll ride in on the necroposting and say, X2 clones are the future of cordless. Milwaukee knows it. Only so long they can avoid it when littlest brother Ryobi already has duel-battery products and is bringing in their own 9Ah batteries to boot. I think Milwaukee would just prefer to stall a bit, not make it too obvious they’re conceding Makita had the right idea first, and maybe more importantly for them also to save face for their 28V platform and anyone that already bought into it. They’ll support 28V noncommittally until it can quietly go the wayside, then jump on the dual-battery bandwagon.