new DCCS620B 20V max chainsaw

midogrumpy

the only dewalt charger that is 'shit in my view is the 1.25 ah one and that isn't really shit it is just only really designed for the 12v 21wh batteries so for what it is designed for it is fine it just isn't the best if you drop a 4ah plus battery on it, and I guarantee you the kit won't come with that charger. I have the 1.25 the 4ah and the 8ah charger and both the 4 and the 8 are just fine. I often use the 4 just because it is quite. I would goes it will come with the 4 

• Like 1

Those don't bother me, it's the compact chargers that are worthless. May as well get a 6in square solar panel and stick the wires into the terminals, it would charge faster, lol. 

I still would like to see the 8ah become the default going forward at least at some point. I would buy a kit for that and that only, otherwise it's bare tools and ebay for me (8ah chargers are $39 there, kind of a no brainer.) 

• Like 1

I have enough batteries that charging is never really an issue, so to be honest I don't really worry about charge times within reason. I generally drop some batteries on the chargers when I get home and don't worry about it. I actually use the 4ah more as it doesn't buzz away in the garage like the 8ah one esoecially if im doing things nearby. I also try to charge my batteries ehen the get to around 40% give or take (a lot) to orotect the cells But I can see if you are trying to cycle through one or two batteries and you were draining them super quick it would matter. 

• Like 1

Whining ? I realize that some folks in the U.K.dont actually need chargers because you have 1 battery for your 1 tool,that sits on the shelf..   But.   For men that have dozens of cordless tools used everyday and dozens and dozens of batteries to charge   ,ya , the fast chargers are needed to keep up and switch out batteries or I suppose you could do ..Hugh's solar farm idea and have a field of .....

Not to mention usually a kit is a great deal for the tool, batteries and charger, and maybe a good case........it's called options,they are great to have :)

9 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Whining ? I realize that some folks in the U.K.dont actually need chargers because you have 1 battery for your 1 tool,that sits on the shelf..   But.   For men that have dozens of cordless tools used everyday and dozens and dozens of batteries to charge   ,ya , the fast chargers are needed to keep up and switch out batteries or I suppose you could do ..Hugh's solar farm idea and have a field of .....

Not to mention usually a kit is a great deal for the tool, batteries and charger, and maybe a good case........it's called options,they are great to have :)

The big question is, do the fast chargers reduce battery life? At some point you would hit maximum efficiency for charging and battery life, charge faster than that and you will introduce too much heat and reduce the number of charges a battery will take over the life of a battery. Are you willing to replace all your batteries after one year to get faster charging or would you rather they last 3 years and just have to charge longer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy MSG said:

The big question is, do the fast chargers reduce battery life? At some point you would hit maximum efficiency for charging and battery life, charge faster than that and you will introduce too much heat and reduce the number of charges a battery will take over the life of a battery. Are you willing to replace all your batteries after one year to get faster charging or would you rather they last 3 years and just have to charge longer?

If you asked every other manufacturer that has a rapid charger years ahead of Dewalt, they'd probably tell you your arguement is invalid. 

Ya, don't buy that....there is no litterateur I'm aware of  from Dewalt stating that using their own rapid charger reduces battery life...I mean they added a fan for heat displacement no ? I'm not an engineer,( although I do spec steel beams at work) ..

....and actually I still have dozens of 4 and 5 ah batteries since they came out still running strong.....besides if it's what I need for my company or the others , ya I replace thousands in batteries every year...bottom line I use tools to make money and make my bosses money,,,..really don't care about longevity, it would be nice if everything lasted but understandably not realistic......

...I would buy a tool for just 1 use if it made me big bucks......if I said buy this tool for 1k  that you need to do the job and you make 4K profit ...wouldn't you..? I do..

Just ordered one off ACME - Says it will ship in 7-10 days. Got the bare tool for $110 after using the promo code: #DOYOURBESTWORK. Had to throw in a couple cheap extras (single drill bits @ $1) to get the full discount because you need 4 items in your cart for the full 15% off your order. I was surprised those would qualify for the offer but they do. Great deal! 

On 01/09/2017 at 2:43 PM, Framer joe said:

Ya, don't buy that....there is no litterateur I'm aware of  from Dewalt stating that using their own rapid charger reduces battery life...I mean they added a fan for heat displacement no ? I'm not an engineer,( although I do spec steel beams at work) ..

....and actually I still have dozens of 4 and 5 ah batteries since they came out still running strong.....besides if it's what I need for my company or the others , ya I replace thousands in batteries every year...bottom line I use tools to make money and make my bosses money,,,..really don't care about longevity, it would be nice if everything lasted but understandably not realistic......

...I would buy a tool for just 1 use if it made me big bucks......if I said buy this tool for 1k  that you need to do the job and you make 4K profit ...wouldn't you..? I do..

as a general point neither fast charging of fast discharging are good for life span a lithium battery 

There is a lifespan of a battery anyway...you get so many uses, so many chargers.....I have just not heard or read that a fast charger hurts the battery. If so please show me the article.....I understand theories and conjecture but......

why would every company have them ? So you have to buy new batteries all the time ? That would just piss people off and stop using that brand....don't know

On 8/31/2017 at 10:43 PM, Framer joe said:

I haven't read any literature about it, but then again my training and experience about batteries started before cordless tools really became viable, initially from Exide in the 6 and 12 volt farm and industrial batteries and later GNB for 24 and 36 volt electric power equipment batteries (1000+ pound batteries for various fork trucks).

13 hours ago, zinzander said:

as a general point neither fast charging of fast discharging are good for life span a lithium battery 

I don't think it matters what type of battery it is, excessive heat or excessive discharge will shorten the life span of a battery.

11 hours ago, Framer joe said:

There is a lifespan of a battery anyway...you get so many uses, so many chargers.....I have just not heard or read that a fast charger hurts the battery. If so please show me the article.....I understand theories and conjecture but......

why would every company have them ? So you have to buy new batteries all the time ? That would just piss people off and stop using that brand....don't know

You are right there is a lifespan for batteries a number of charges and discharges before it run time is so reduced, it needs to be replaced. When you get to where you are drilling one or two holes with a battery or getting 30 seconds of run time with the vacuum trying to clean up before it dies, that battery is going out of the rotation and getting replaced quickly. Now if you are the small contractor who shows up on a job site with a battery in the drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw and one spare and a fast charger to do a job and swaps a battery once or twice on each tool as he uses them and then replaces those 4 batteries once a year, that might be your version of acceptable, especially if you are one of the guys who are buying the latest and greatest drill as each one comes out. Heck they get new batteries every time they buy the new tool. Another guy might have 10 batteries they take to the site with a couple on the tools, follows the manufacturers recommendation on when to change batteries, charge them up each night and get 4 years life out of them. Which is the right way to run them?

The simple reason as to why a company would offer them if they shortened the life is because other companies do. The added bonus for the company is it gets to sell more batteries to you, the customer.

Psh, I leave all my batteries in my tool trailer that daily sees interior temps around 130 degrees. I still have 2 3ah batteries from the 20v launch that are still working just fine.

It's not like it used to be. Number of discharges has a lot more to do with longevity than anything else.  

Ya but @Grumpy MSG if the rapid charger was causing batteries to prematurely fail guys wouldn't just buy more batteries they'd get out of that platform pissed off.......anyhow...being a small contractor,  I have dozens of batteries. I only use 5ah, both 6ah, 9ah, Each tool has a battery installed and a couple spares....batteries are rotated from tool to tool ...and I haven't thrown any batteries away yet, all are still good.....I'm hoping for, at least 5ah in 60v ...less batteries more runtime, maybe years away from 1 battery for all day in heavy use tools

6 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Ya but @Grumpy MSG if the rapid charger was causing batteries to prematurely fail guys wouldn't just buy more batteries they'd get out of that platform pissed off.......anyhow...being a small contractor,  I have dozens of batteries. I only use 5ah, both 6ah, 9ah, Each tool has a battery installed and a couple spares....batteries are rotated from tool to tool ...and I haven't thrown any batteries away yet, all are still good.....I'm hoping for, at least 5ah in 60v ...less batteries more runtime, maybe years away from 1 battery for all day in heavy use tools

If they relied so heavily on that charger, they probably did it from the start, and that means the service life for those batteries and tools meet their expectations. In other words, they don't know any better, so that is normal to them. A great example of that mentality in action is the number of $99 DeWALT drills sold every holiday to homeowners at the big box stores. They started with 18 volt line and now have 20 Volt MAX available, they come equipped with the cheapest to manufacture batteries DeWALT can make. It is usually something ridiculous like a pair of 1.0 to 1.3 Ah packs and goes down hill from there, abuse them and they die even quicker. They will turn around in a year or two and buy another $99 drill. They won't go in and buy the $99 two pack of 2.4 Ah 18V XRP batteries for $99, because the can get a new drill and batteries for the same price. Now there is the equivalent to that in the 20V MAX available every holiday. You might look at how I treat my tools as ridiculous because I actually have an in service date label on my batteries and place another marker on them when their run time becomes suspect to me. It has allowed me to have a few 18V XRP batteries that have been around since Bush Jr. was President. There are plenty of folks who bounce through a new platform every 2-3 years, I know of  one contractor who has been through Porter-Cable 19.2, older Bosch 18, Milwaukee 18 and was on newer Bosch 18 when I last talked to him.

Another way to look at it is what may be unacceptable to you is normal to them. I know plenty of folks who can't live without their smart phones, several of which have to charge them multiple times a day and don't complain about replacing it every year or two. Meanwhile, I find that level of performance to be horrible and prefer my semi smart phone that lasts up to a week on a charge and is several years old. If you'll notice I really don't spend much time bashing platforms