dcb206 or flexvolt batt?

RTJR

I've been fine with the 4.0 and 5.0 20 volt packs. I'm not constantly cutting or drilling or screwing every minute of the day, but longer run time is a nice thing. Even when I might be, I have enough packs at the ready that it doesn't matter. There's a good deal on the 6.0 packs right now, and I already own 20 volt chargers. When I need a circular saw I nearly always grab the DC391, even when my elecrtics are in the room. I just love the left blade. I let the saw cut rather than pushing it through. Yet, here's where I'd like a bit more run time or grunt. My questions are: Will the 6.0 be a noticeable upgrade over the 5.0 in the circular saw? Is the Flexvolt 2/6/ah battery a big step up over the 6.0 20v max in the circular saw. Does anyone have first hand experience making the comparison?

TIA!

I've been fine with the 4.0 and 5.0 20 volt packs. I'm not constantly cutting or drilling or screwing every minute of the day, but longer run time is a nice thing. Even when I might be, I have enough packs at the ready that it doesn't matter. There's a good deal on the 6.0 packs right now, and I already own 20 volt chargers. When I need a circular saw I nearly always grab the DC391, even when my elecrtics are in the room. I just love the left blade. I let the saw cut rather than pushing it through. Yet, here's where I'd like a bit more run time or grunt. My questions are: Will the 6.0 be a noticeable upgrade over the 5.0 in the circular saw? Is the Flexvolt 2/6/ah battery a big step up over the 6.0 20v max in the circular saw. Does anyone have first hand experience making the comparison?

TIA!

The 6.0ah XR pack uses 20700 battery cells which are bigger than the 18650 battery cells used in the 5.0ah 20v pack and the 6.0ah FlexVolt battery pack.

This equates to better runtime under heavier loads, such as that in your saw. It will give you a bit more power and runtime.

The 6.0ah XR is a great battery. The wider base is nice for the cordless nailers as it gives a wider base to set on.

They are $159 for a 2 pack at Lowe's.

the 6.0 xr pack may have larger cells but it is only a 10 cell battery. The flexvolt has 15 cells. I notice a difference when using the flex vs a 5.0. I have never used the xr 6.0. I'm sure it has a bump in power over the 5.0 but I am not sure if it is as much as the 6.0 flex. To be safe I would get the 6.0 flex just so if you decide you want to get some flexvolt tools you have that option. 

I haven't been dissatisfied by the 6.0/2.0 flexvolt. It has plenty of power for what I've used it for. 

33 minutes ago, Bremon said:

6.0 XR is preferable to 6.0 FlexVolt imo. I sold all my 6.0 FlexVolt. 

May I ask why you prefer the xr 6 over the flex 6?

They're shorter, less expensive, and half a pound lighter weight. All things I care about on a 20v Max tool. Meanwhile the 3.0/9.0 isn't too much more expensive than the 2.0/6.0 and gets about twice the runtime for a bit more weight on big beefy tools where weight differences aren't as noticeable. The XR6.0 is more efficient than the FlexVolt 6.0 as well despite fewer cells. 

• Like 1

Hmmm....the XR 6.0 is longer then the flex 6.0....they are both the same width....the flex 6.0 is taller....the flex 6.0 is heavier then the XR ..some but not  much difference in runtime or power on a 20v circ saw,with a XR6.0 over a 5.0.....but the flex 9.0 on a 20v circ saw is great, both in runtime and power. but if your just doing a few cuts ,just use a 5ah....the 5ah is the perfect battery for most applications,in my opinion...the flex 6.0 works better on framing nailers (692,693) larger cells ? Don't know why but definitely a difference........cost is relative to your effort any battery can be bought at the right time for a great deal..you can get 2/5ah on eBay for 60$.......IMG_0461.thumb.JPG.9301635c5c1c8ae322c1fc5603ce811f.JPGIMG_0456.thumb.JPG.2d6ad01209a3fdc548c62db27624e724.JPGIMG_0460.thumb.JPG.6183e23f6464efad3bb2d587bdfd8d43.JPG

Don't know ...but completely different results with a flex 6 vs a XR 6 on a framer......plus more "grunt" would mean an upgrade to the 20v max 7 1/4" circ...I know not a lefty so maybe wait for the "show" coming up ..you can get more runtime for that 6 1/2" circ but don't think any more "grunt" ...

15 cells vs 10 cells of the same size cells 6.0 flex vs 5.0. The 2000 mah have higher peak discharge I think as well. The cells in the xr6.0 are far more efficient than the ones in the flex 6.0 and 20v 5.0 and have high discharge. 

10 2500 mAh 18650 cells vs

15 2000 mAh 18650 cells vs

10 3000 mAh 20700 cells

My XR6.0 haven't shipped yet so I'll test them out on my 692 when they get here. 

For this question, I have 5AH's and XR 6.0AH's. 

The XR 6s last quite a bit longer in my Grinder and Circular Saw. The 5s show a little warmth, the XR 6s stay cool. 

I just got my first Flex 6.0 because it came with the power station. Haven't used it much yet. 

• 3 years later...

This conversation is what I've looked for - considering 9AH vs 6AH, the 6's in Flex or XR. Sheesh a lot to consider. Another pair of factors that I doubt most could answer directly are tool life and battery longervity when used for longer periods at one time. In many such cases heat is the culprit.

I just looked and can get the 9/Flex for US$180 and think I'll bite. I know there'll be more tools in the future, right now I'd just like to finish the front and back yards in one go - with Dewslt's battery leafblower, forgot the # ATM.

here is something to consider the original flexvolt 2/6 ah has 15 18650 cells. The xr 6 ah has 10 21700 cells. The 18650 cell is less powerful but you have 5 more to draw from at one time. I'm not sure if the updated flexvolt 2/6 ah has 21700 cells now but if it does then there is no longer the argument towards the battery being less powerful than the xr 6 ah. Also if you want the versatility of having the option of using flexvolt tools, going with the flexvolt battery might be the better option. If you want a lighter weight battery, maybe the xr is the better option.