Milwaukee M12 Heater jacket battery runtime M12 XC vs M18

Michael McKenna

While the jacket isn't technically a tool I'd appreciate any insight people might have. I bought the jacket and found the standard M12 lithium battery (model #48-11-2401) doesn't have enough power for an acceptable runtime even on the lowest setting. I found that the battery lasted only about 1.5 hrs on low. Since I don't want to load my pockets with extra batteries I tried my M18 standard size battery (model #48-11-1815). On high I get almost 3hrs but with more battery bulk. To me this is an acceptable runtime but if I could get even more time that would be better. So here's my question: would the M12 XC have more runtime than a standard M18?

M12 XC = 3 amp hours - 32 watt

M18 standard = 1.5 amp hours - 27 watt

Not having an electrical engineering background does the M12 XC have more juice/runtime than the M18? I know there are factors like which heat setting (L, M or H). I typically wear it at medium. Does the 12v vs. 18v have any bearing?

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Mike

Wow that's a great question. I agree with Conductor and would go with the M12 4.0Ah battery. I will have to check with mine and see how long it runs on the M12 XC 3.0 Ah battery.

Overall I think the coat is very nice. If you buy one, you have to buy one that fits a little snug. If the jacket is big on you, I guess it doesn't heat as well. The only thing I don't like about the jackets are you just can't throw it in the washer when it gets dirty.

• 3 months later...

This could be a huge seller for Milwaukee The problem is Home Depot has no jackets to try on in store so you can get the sizing right plus people need to see it in person to get an idea on how it works. Milwaukee really should have a nice kiosk so you can order the m12 jackets and even get the embroidering done on the high vis models, and besides dealing with the jackets it could be used for ordering tools that a local store would never inventory. I bought 3 different sizes to try, and you should have seen the reactions from the csr people they had no idea anything like this was out. I also get a ton of people asking me why my jacket glows in the middle of winter they love the idea with the packs having the ability to power cordless tools.

This could be a huge seller for Milwaukee The problem is Home Depot has no jackets to try on in store so you can get the sizing right plus people need to see it in person to get an idea on how it works. Milwaukee really should have a nice kiosk so you can order the m12 jackets and even get the embroidering done on the high vis models, and besides dealing with the jackets it could be used for ordering tools that a local store would never inventory. I bought 3 different sizes to try, and you should have seen the reactions from the csr people they had no idea anything like this was out. I also get a ton of people asking me why my jacket glows in the middle of winter they love the idea with the packs having the ability to power cordless tools.

Agreed. Demo jackets would be a great idea.

• 3 years later...
On 4/30/2013 at 2:03 PM, DR99 said:

I agree Milwaukee missed the ball on marketing these items, I was explaining this to my sister one day she was shocked why I was wearing only a hoodie when it was so cold out.. then she said she wanted one and trust me she knows nothing about tools or would she ever need to......but wants a heated item like this.