Tap and Die set

FrosBros82

I have a small Irwin tap set, but I am looking to upgrade to something a little bit bigger. I'm not too worried about price, as I know most set are expensive. I like tekton stuff... and I have also seen that Bosch makes a large set too. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

I like my Gearwrench set, probably the best set at that price point. The ratcheting tap handle is awesome, though some don't like it because at the start you have to switch directions a lot to clear chips...but I like it because there's good leverage and once you get through you can quickly back it out.

The Hanson Irwin stuff is good too, a little bit more expensive. Obviously something like Starrett HSS would be preferred to either the standard Gearwrench and Hanson carbon steel stuff but it's a lot more expensive.

• Like 1

Taps get crazy expensive really quick. Unless your looking to spend some serious cash I would get gearwrench. For weekend type stuff it should work. I have a gearwrench 115 piece set. It has served me pretty good. I have had to replace a few pieces but no big deal. There not the best taps but for the money you can't beat them. I have individual Cleveland taps that cost just as much as the gearwrench set. 

Whatever tap you go with use threadcutting oil. 

I have heard good things about the Irwin sets but never used owned one myself. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

Taps get crazy expensive really quick. Unless your looking to spend some serious cash I would get gearwrench. For weekend type stuff it should work. I have a gearwrench 115 piece set. It has served me pretty good. I have had to replace a few pieces but no big deal. There not the best taps but for the money you can't beat them. I have individual Cleveland taps that cost just as much as the gearwrench set. 

Whatever tap you go with use threadcutting oil. 

I have heard good things about the Irwin sets but never used owned one myself. 

Thanks for the input. It's not like I am going to be using it everyday.... I would just like to have something that I wont have to buy again. Thanks for your input.

FB82