Sorry DeWalt, It's you, not me.

builditguy

You know, you wait and wait.  New tools are coming.  Don't worry, the brad nailer will be here in May.  Then, don't worry, the brad nailer will be here in June.  It will be at the show.

This is just an example.  For years I've tried to stay with one battery platform.  Others would say, "No, don't do it.  Buy other brands and have several."  I didn't want it to work.  I have limited space in my truck.  If I switch brands, that's more batteries and chargers.  So I patiently wait it out.

I think this is it.  I'm tired of waiting for DeWalt to play catch up.  So slow to release new tools.  Yea, they show the fan, but when will it be available?  It was 92 degrees yesterday.  I'll bet they wait til winter to get it out there.  Makita has had a fan for years.  Why didn't they say, "Hey, that's a good idea, lets copy them."

I think the time has come for me to start seeing other tool companies.  I like the Rigid lights.  I like the Rigid fan. I think I'll start there.  

Now I just need to re-organize, buy a dual charger, buy some batteries, and make room for a few new tools.  Don't get me wrong.  I like the flexvolt tablesaw.  Maybe even the flexvolt miter saw, although I like the idea of a 20v better, because I have the batteries.  I just think it's time for us to see other brands.  Lets just call it a break.

• Like 2

I too was a DeWalt hold out, til I said screw it and started buying Ryobi stuff to fill in the gaps.... Fan check, work light check, brad nailer check..... And so on...

Don't get me wrong I love my yellow tools and will continue to buy them but hey if Ryobi has what I need why not.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I think for most of us buying one battery platform is most conducive for our hard earned money.... however, there have been plenty of times in my life where I just need to have something. My basic platform has been Milwaukee, but I also have gotten into some Ryobi, Makita and DeWalt. I guess the simple question to me is do I want just one platform? Or do I want the best that each company has to offer for a particular tool? Sawzall (18v) maybe go with a fuel Milwaukee, Drill/Driver - maybe a DeWalt, Cordless Jigsaw maybe Makita, etc. Lastly, this isn't something that is going to end in my opinion, brands are always going to be slow releasing tools and coming out with new and improved stuff, plus some brands are ergonomically designed for particular trades, so it's highly unlikely that you will have top of the line tools with everything you buy from one particular brand.

• Like 2

what you need and what you want comes into play here, if a company I have invested into has the tools I need or the tools I want. I'm not gonna lie I have some tools I wanted more than I needed......I'll be the first to admit i have been a Milwaukee fan for several years way before the cordless era but even they don't make some of the bigger tools I have needed over the years. I have come to realize it is the tool that matters not the brand....

• Like 1

I'm a Dewalt guy as you know,,,.i have physically tried most of the tools from every brand through work or friends...except Festool....I'd say Milwaukee,Dewalt,Makita are all good,,splitting hairs on runtime,cuts,power,,etc.....I choose Dewalt because they have an incredible grip....framing nailers,etc.....and the batteries where always good on the older 18v line (XRP) ........but Dewalt didnt make everything I need....cordless,trim router,sander,fan,planer,,,I went to Ryobi because until recently no one had a cordless trim router or sander.etc..

..I'd love to be one platform....but I do like Milwaukee sawzalls,and I love the new rigid cordless trim router,sander,heater,compressor so I bought them....

.....I CANT WAIT for Dewalt to make what I need and want,..I have deadlines and contracts to meet......what I do is buy enough batteries for each tool for the job at hand and charge all the batteries at home after work, expensive yes, maybe , (it's a write off) I find deals...but I don't have to carry multiple chargers everyday.......

• Like 2

I hear you pain. I was a DeWalt guy for years. Hell I live 15 minuets from their HQ. I would stop by the repair center there and get great deals but as time went on with nothing new and other company's dropping new tools  what seam like every week I had to move on. I still have some DeWalt but must of my stuff is 80 Milwaukee and Festool. The only DeWalt stuff that I now is the 12V impact and drill and the new drywall gun with the Collated Magazine Attachment.

This isn't anything different from what Milwaukee has done recently. It took them forever to come out with cordless nail guns, planer, drywall gun, cutout tool, etc. It happens, it's just unconvienant when it does, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Comp56:  What you need and what you want, comes into play.   

I hear that.  It's exactly where I'm at.

Of course DeWalt isn't going to put out tools, just for me.  Just because I want a great cordless flood light, doesn't mean it would be a seller.

Since I've come to a conclusion, it's better all around.  I've even figured out space for stuff.  Now I just need to buy.  

1 hour ago, framer said:

i think the recession was probably a big reason why tool manufacturers slowed down with development.  i still dont think sales are near where they used to be.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but there are other possible variables as well. One, I don't think that there are as many people in construction, so selling tools to people who don't work in the trades is obviously difficult. However, I feel that cordless tools from the big four (Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch), are still rising in terms of production and their new and improved ideas.

I would definitely agree that overall, things have gotten better and are only getting better.  For myself, we aren't that far away from having a cordless jobsite.  Doesn't work for everyone, but it probably will for me.  10 years ago that wasn't even a possibility.

I keep a corded skil saw in my truck, but I don't know why.  Haven't used it in 1 1/2 years.  Never occurred to me that a cordless would handle the load, but apparently it does and has been.

It's just now that I've come to the realization that I need to expand my horizons and carry multiple brands.  One day it will get there. 

I don't think it's a lack of construction. The economy is ok and housing has been up, you know when building is good because the Brazilian framers with no license, workmans comp, or  insurance all come out and try to undercut legit framers bids..........I don't think these companies (Dewalt,Milwaukee ,Makita) are getting there biggest sales from DIY guys buying at  Home Depot and lowes...I believe it's from guys in the trades...

We have been building houses and working in the trades  for decades without cordless tools, so if a company is going to invest heavily in a brand there needs to be a complete line...that's the problem...pieces from this brand and that brand is aggravating to owners...one or two tools from another brand is fine but not on a large scale......disrespect of preorders....all the large companies I know hate not having a complete line of tools...the bottom line is productivity and profit for a trade.

........while I appreciate Flexvolt. I still would rather have a complete line of 20v max tools,lights,ope,etc...then do specialty tools or another line of tools or batteries....these big tool makers make Billions, it's time to give a shit about your customers or pay the consequences of a dissatisfied buyer...

...They loose money every year, for years to come.beacause a good corded tool can last 10/15 years. ..cordless tools are not necessarily faster,just convenient......problem is no company has a complete line.....and yes many companies I know went back to cords and generators,,..the older system of generators, compressors,, cords,hoses...is a predictable system, tried and true..and easy to plan for work...of course drills and impacts stay on board.......

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

...They loose money every year, for years to come.beacause a good corded tool can last 10/15 years. ..cordless tools are not necessarily faster,just convenient......problem is no company has a complete line.....and yes many companies I know went back to cords and generators,,..the older system of generators, compressors,, cords,hoses...is a predictable system, tried and true..and easy to plan for work...of course drills and impacts stay on board.......

there's no way i'm going back to cords.  i dont even bring a generator or cords to a job much anymore. cordless is just so convenient.

I run crews and generally there is no power so we always carry two generators and compressors , dozens of cords and hoses...nothing can compare to a pneumatic framing gun and there are no cordless coil guns to nail plywood,strapping,trim ...so air is a must anyway......my deck company is completely cordless...but framing, No.......I do hope someday years from now probably , a cordless framing crew is possible..

9 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

I run crews and generally there is no power so we always carry two generators and compressors , dozens of cords and hoses...nothing can compare to a pneumatic framing gun and there are no cordless coil guns to nail plywood,strapping,trim ...so air is a must anyway......my deck company is completely cordless...but framing, No.......I do hope someday years from now probably , a cordless framing crew is possible..

the biggest downside to going all cordless is the paslode fuel cell cost.  but i feel the paslode nailers are safer to use and guys don't nail themselves anymore. so for safety its worth it.

• Like 1

Ya I've removed a few nails from guys arms, legs and feet over the years ..never shot myself but been shot 4 times( in the  arm,in my head,in the thigh and through my hand nailed to a ridge) ..I hate new guys and guys that learned bad framing habits that I hired...argh!! 

......I love the paslode nailers,pneumatic and cordless...but as you say FUEL cost is high....I use the cordless  Dewalt dcn692,693 for doing decks..I never had a problem with them.....but recently switched back to the pneumatic hanger gun (strap shot) with the cordless rigid compressor ..it works great and the hanger gun is much smaller and lighter........

• Like 1

Good stuff guys. Hear what you're saying about the framing crews undercutting.  We deal with the Amish coming in a putting up houses for builders in the area. Just wednesday, I was doing some finish plumbing work on a brand new house in a brand new small development, and next door, was an amish crew putting up walls on a fresh site. 

I hate to talk bad about them but we've done plumbing at multiple sites where the amish were "fired" from the site because of incompetency.. It was painful to see them struggle to read the blueprints... No backing behind hand grab bars in the bathroom... Drywall had to come off and bracing put in place. They had shingles FACE NAILED at the eaves because I don't know, they couldn't figure out how to stop wind from flipping them up??  

I can get along with anyone willing to admit a lack of knowledge in an area, but when you just guess at the work as you go without accepting responsibility, my respect goes out the door with them... 

Anyways, I too have mixed color work environment HAHAH it sucks having multiple chargers and batteries... I would love to use MIlwaukee's propress gun, but we bought a bunch of Ridgid guns for a deal and i have several Ryobi items for good price and just recently, the Makita drywall saw. Should be interesting!! I could have used that saw Wednesday!!

• Like 2