Anybody here still like old-school acetate screwdrivers?

dwasifar

I prefer the comfort and hardened tip of my Klein screw drivers. I also own a set of Wera screw drivers which are very comfortable and durable.
A while back I was having a discussion with my father who is retired and my brother in law who is a mechanic. My father was sayin "why don't you just buy craftman tools they're more affordable". My brother in law replied "yes they are but they are not designed for tradesman who uses those tools daily. High end tools are more comfortable and heavier duty". 2 years later and I completed understand what my brother in law was talking about.
Basically those acetate screw drivers are fine for a weekend project. I would not reach for one of the screw drivers if I had to use it for a long period of time at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shit I put together a TV stand that took about an hour, and my hands hurt from just that amount of time with a craftsman acetate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fond of the Proto Duratek/ Mac Macgrip drivers personally, but those Krauts make decent drivers 😆

The acetate smell is no myth though. Xcelite driver were notorious for their stank and Snap-On drivers of certain vintages have been known to crumble in the drawer. 

On 8/24/2017 at 2:15 AM, Conductor562 said:

I'm fond of the Proto Duratek/ Mac Macgrip drivers personally, but those Krauts make decent drivers 😆

The acetate smell is no myth though. Xcelite driver were notorious for their stank and Snap-On drivers of certain vintages have been known to crumble in the drawer. 

I have one 1/4" spinner that was my dad's that is falling apart even though it has been sitting in a drawer for 15 years, he never used it.

• 1 month later...

i have a couple, that turn white.

an old proto #2 phillips, and a USA channellock.

cleaned with mineral spirits, took the white rite off.

wipe dry, air hose nozzle, and then rattle can satin urethane.

they have held up for a few months now.

• 1 year later...

It goes beyond stink. They develop a white chalky oxidation that many mistake for mold. I have a bunch of old Xcelite drivers in a tool box and periodically I have to wash them off. The white powder and the stink are gone for a while. I have wondered whether a clear coat would prevent recurrence but never got an answer. The name of the plastic is cellulose acetate butyrate or CAB for short.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

It goes beyond stink. They develop a white chalky oxidation that many mistake for mold. I have a bunch of old Xcelite drivers in a tool box and periodically I have to wash them off. The white powder and the stink are gone for a while. I have wondered whether a clear coat would prevent recurrence but never got an answer. The name of the plastic is cellulose acetate butyrate or CAB for short.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It looks like the mold that cigars get if over humidified. It doesn't seem to be 100% guarantee, some just smell...some get chalky(and smell)...some get brittle(and smell)...some get a combination of all three. We have some old Xcelite at the shop, they're not chalky or brittle, have the slightest bit of smell. They are stored on an open bench instead of a drawer. Craftsman WF screwdriver smelled bad out of the package.