Table Saw Guides

djslater

I just came home with a good find, or so I thought. I bought the pictured Craftsman table saw...for $20!!!! It definitely needs a new blade...no biggie.

But, it didn't come with a miter guide, or rip fence...and I'm too unfamiliar with table saws to even think of that until I got home! This was my "low cost entrance into table saw purchase"... Are there any universal options for rip fences, or miter guides that anyone knows of?

I tried searspartsdirect.com, and no luck for this model. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Craftsman Table Saw.jpg

The miter gauge is not that necessary. I use a table saw almost everyday and I have used a miter gauge maybe 6 times in the last year.

A fence on the other hand is needed. You may be able to find an aftermarket fence to fit, but it won't be cheap. 

Best bet is to find a complete saw or a parts saw on CL.

You could make a fence, make it like a L shape so you can clamp it. you would have to measure front and back of the blade every cut but with those saws that's normal anyway. Other wise you will have to do like everyone says and keep a eye on Craigslist or maybe ebay.. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 7:01 PM, djslater said:

I just came home with a good find, or so I thought. I bought the pictured Craftsman table saw...for $20!!!! It definitely needs a new blade...no biggie.

But, it didn't come with a miter guide, or rip fence...and I'm too unfamiliar with table saws to even think of that until I got home! This was my "low cost entrance into table saw purchase"... Are there any universal options for rip fences, or miter guides that anyone knows of?

I tried searspartsdirect.com, and no luck for this model. Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Craftsman Table Saw.jpg

Look at eBay ,ereplacment parts I'll keep a eye out for one for ya. My dad has the same model

On 7/24/2017 at 2:48 PM, CATERPILLAR said:

Look at eBay ,ereplacment parts I'll keep a eye out for one for ya. My dad has the same model

Ironically, I found a motor listing on eBay for this model, and the seller said they had more parts if anyone was interested. Short story, I purchased a custome fence, miter gauge, and table saw sled made from MDF and Cherry wood...

Now I just need a new blade and riving knife, and I think I'm set...by the time I'm done I probably could have bought a new Ryobi!!! :lol:

• Like 2

On 8/1/2017 at 7:10 AM, djslater said:

Ironically, I found a motor listing on eBay for this model, and the seller said they had more parts if anyone was interested. Short story, I purchased a custome fence, miter gauge, and table saw sled made from MDF and Cherry wood...

Now I just need a new blade and riving knife, and I think I'm set...by the time I'm done I probably could have bought a new Ryobi!!! :lol:

That's good to hear ???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Riving knife? What's that? 😂 When my dad bought a saw of any kind he instantly removed all safety appliances. I grew up thinking that dodging flying debris was all part of the gig. It's a miracle I still have 10 fingers.

But seriously, depending on the age, it may not have ever had one and if it did, it was probably built into the guard (which you're gonna hate). Just go to a batting cage, step into the fastest lane, stand 2 feet from the pitching machine, and fine tune your evasiveness. Sure, you'll take a 2X to the face every once in awhile, but that'll build character 😂

• Like 2

BUT SERIOUSLY , depending on the age, it may not have ever had one and if it did, it was probably built into the guard (which you're gonna hate). Just go to a batting cage, step into the fastest lane, stand 2 feet from the pitching machine, and fine tune your evasiveness. Sure, you'll take a 2X to the face every once in awhile, but that'll build character [emoji23]

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/23/2017 at 10:23 PM, Conductor562 said:

Riving knife? What's that? 😂 When my dad bought a saw of any kind he instantly removed all safety appliances. I grew up thinking that dodging flying debris was all part of the gig. It's a miracle I still have 10 fingers.

But seriously, depending on the age, it may not have ever had one and if it did, it was probably built into the guard (which you're gonna hate). Just go to a batting cage, step into the fastest lane, stand 2 feet from the pitching machine, and fine tune your evasiveness. Sure, you'll take a 2X to the face every once in awhile, but that'll build character 😂

I use this set up on my Jet cabinet saw.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/micro-jig-thin-kerf-steelpro-mj-splitter-kit-orange?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI99PKzO7y1QIVB2t-Ch30Wg9JEAQYAyABEgJpF_D_BwE

That's a pretty slick set up. I'm gonna get a cabinet saw next year, so my portable Dewalt will be relegated to job site only duty. I think I remember it having a riving knife that laid around in the shop for a few years, but it may not have.