Fiber Cement on the Miter Saw?

JakeDewalt

So when I bought the flexvolt mitersaw 120v I remember clearly reading Do Not Cut Fiber Cement.

Diablo sells a 12 Hardi-Blade for Fiber cement specifically James Hardie products.

Has anyone used a Hardie-Blade on their Dewalt 10in or 12in miter ? 

Will it damage the Saw?

So when I bought the flexvolt mitersaw 120v I remember clearly reading Do Not Cut Fiber Cement.

Diablo sells a 12 Hardi-Blade for Fiber cement specifically James Hardie products.

Has anyone used a Hardie-Blade on their Dewalt 10in or 12in miter ? 

Will it damage the Saw?

Can't say it will or not but I do see two issues.

1. Fiber Cement dust is extremely fine and abrasive. It could shorten the life of the saw. I would highly recommend a quality dust collection setup.

2. The kerf on a fiber cement blade is wider than the thin kerf blades on the Flex Volt blades.

We have cut a ton of fiber cement with our old Dewalt 12" miter saw. We don't use fiber cement any more because it is a crap product but the saw is still in service as our framing miter saw.

Get the right blade, use a dust extractor, and keep the saw blown off regularly.

Or better yet buy a cheap HF saw for the job and don't worry about damaging your good saw. You wouldn't catch me using our Kapex or fine finish miter saw to cut FC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, overanalyze said:

We have cut a ton of fiber cement with our old Dewalt 12" miter saw. We don't use fiber cement any more because it is a crap product but the saw is still in service as our framing miter saw.

Get the right blade, use a dust extractor, and keep the saw blown off regularly.

Or better yet buy a cheap HF saw for the job and don't worry about damaging your good saw. You wouldn't catch me using our Kapex or fine finish miter saw to cut FC.

Makes Since I was thinking a ryobi 10in miter for Hardie Jobs

What lap Siding product are you using that's better than Hardie Plank I'm interested to know ?

I should preface that in colder climates I don't feel fiber cement is a good fit. It expands and contracts way more than they say it does. I am also a little biased against it because of all the issues Certainteed had with theirs.

I don't have a magic product to use as an alternative. Royal Building Products has nice high end siding I would like to try. May get to next year.

Lots of guys like L.P. Smartside. I haven't warmed up to it yet...

I've cut miles of it using the 20v 7/14" miter, it's practically the only suitable material in my climate and use it very frequently. I just keep the blades that are getting dull for wood and use them to cut the fiber, works great and costs me nothing more whilst actually using up the blade. 

I've actually never bought a hardie blade, expensive af. 

2 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

You could get a set of fiber cement shears and save your lungs from the dust.

Oh I definitely do for the thin stuff, and they work fantastic...but I do a lot of the thick trim and all of that gets cut with the saw. 

Red Cedar is great but only last around 10-15years in South Florida when exposed to the elements. It is fuel to a fire, termites although it isn't Their wood of choice will eat. Not to great with constant rain either.

LP smart side is in my opinion worst and a cheap product I would never install.

Vinyl - Just No

Hardie is the best available on the market 

Fire Proof #1 Siding of Firefighters

No Termites

Ive experience zero shrink/swell here in the south can't speak for the HZ5 north product

30 year Warranty 

• 1 year later...

There are very specific tools out there that can cut fiber cement. I would recommend if you are doing the tool yourself to go with festool. If you are looking to have ease of installation either get with somebody who has done installation like this before or hire a professional. I myself got my siding done by conservation construction of Texas. They did a great job adding the siding for a reasonable price and my house looks brand new. I would recommend conservationctx.com but you may want to save money by doing the installation yourself. There Is a lot of money you are spending on the blades. 

On 7/16/2017 at 9:05 PM, JakeDewalt said:

Red Cedar is great but only last around 10-15years in South Florida when exposed to the elements. It is fuel to a fire, termites although it isn't Their wood of choice will eat. Not to great with constant rain either.

LP smart side is in my opinion worst and a cheap product I would never install.

Vinyl - Just No

Hardie is the best available on the market 

Fire Proof #1 Siding of Firefighters

No Termites

Ive experience zero shrink/swell here in the south can't speak for the HZ5 north product

30 year Warranty 

Pretty much agree. Only thing I’ve been surprised by with Hardie is that it will flake apart and rot if it’s not kept sealed and painted.