DeWALT Beltsander?

FrosBros82

Was thinking about actual wood working tools... and Dewalt comes to mind as a decent player for that application. Nail guns, planer, palm sander, table saw, miter saw, etc. Do they not make a belt sander? Or am I just misinformed? Of the big four, my knowledge says that only Makita makes one?

Note - Big four = DeWALT, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita

I didn't even really consider something for a cordless model, I was just wondering about a corded tool. It seems like most of their woodworking stuff is really good, so it's weird to me that they have not developed something yet.

7 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

I didn't even really consider something for a cordless model, I was just wondering about a corded tool. It seems like most of their woodworking stuff is really good, so it's weird to me that they have not developed something yet.

What about a ros/geared sander like Festool or Makita? According to Toolpig they will smoke a belt sander. I have never used a gear sander before but I have used a rear handle Bosch orbital at school and it was really nice to use.

@Big Adam That small sander is almost identical in design to one that was produced by Black & Decker back in the late seventies and early eighties. It was an excellent small unit with great balance. I always wondered why they discontinued the design. Now if they would just turn it into a cordless unit...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Question for Ricky, why was it a failure?  Do you think they could correct the mistakes of the old corded model?

I'm curious about this too because I'd really like a cordless belt sander and with Flexvolt I figure there would be enough power for it.

Mine works fine but if I recall, tracking was a major problem in an extremely large number of units. People could not get the belt to track properly.