Need help in deciding finish

rdst_1

Hi guys,

I need your advice in deciding what finish to go with which would not need a lot of maintenance.

All the pieces are outdoor windows and doors and a 30ft frame for a front glaze of the stairs of my house.

For most of the doors and windows I can reapply or maintain the finish, but some pieces are hard to reach and would require scaffolding to be setup which I can't keep doing every six months or even annually.

So I basically need a finish which can last a few years atleast.

Most of the pieces won't be facing rains but the front glazing frame will. Most will be facing a lot of sunlight though.

From the look of it, Marine quality Spar Warnish seems to be the perfect product for my needs. I might even apply and buff out some wax on top of it, if needed.

So, let me know what you guys think and how has your experience been with Spar Varnish, if any.

Also, let me know of any alternatives as Spar Varnish can be expensive and getting my hands on it in India is going to be a bit challenging as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I know this probably doesn't help much, but there's a reason most window frames are aluminum these days...

Basically, there is no outdoor wood finish that won't require some maintenance when exposed to sun and rain.  A good marine grade varnish will fare better than others but even that will likely only go maybe 2 years before it will need to be re-finished.  If you really don't want to refinish or maintain the trim, you probably should be looking at an exterior paint.