New Sander

Jronman

I'm curious if they will make a mod to fit existing airstream batteries for the tool or if you will have to buy the batteries that come with this. I will say from personal experience, they make a wonderful sander. There were some bearing issues with the new limited sander they released earlier but mine has been trouble free. I also run the RO90DX.

Why would anyone want to sand without DC attached?  I once sanded a dress up center I made for my kids outside and didn't worry about DC and ended up looking like a ghost, there was so much saw dust all over my face, arms, hair, everywhere...

2 hours ago, marsh942 said:

So these batteries are unique to the sanders? Can't be used on other 18v tools and other 18v batteries can't be used on these sanders? 

Looks like a new battery format.  Maybe other tools will start to be released with this format too as it's rolled out across their product line.

5 hours ago, khariV said:

Looks like a new battery format.  Maybe other tools will start to be released with this format too as it's rolled out across their product line.

I can't help but think if these sanders were red/yellow/teal or anything apart from the green and black there would be an outcry!!

having to buy new batteries and tools that won't accept old batteries is why people got upset over FlexVolt!! Oh but it's Festool so its ok....

11 hours ago, khariV said:

6 hours ago, marsh942 said:

I can't help but think if these sanders were red/yellow/teal or anything apart from the green and black there would be an outcry!!

having to buy new batteries and tools that won't accept old batteries is why people got upset over FlexVolt!! Oh but it's Festool so its ok....

works with the same chargers is what I heard. So kinda in the same boat as flexvolt.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:25 PM, ChrisK said:

I'm curious if they will make a mod to fit existing airstream batteries for the tool or if you will have to buy the batteries that come with this. I will say from personal experience, they make a wonderful sander. There were some bearing issues with the new limited sander they released earlier but mine has been trouble free. I also run the RO90DX.

Do you still have the convertible 5"/6" Bosch? The reason I ask is I was sanding my deck and the 5" Milwaukee ROS I was using was just a smidge too big to not over lap a few of the boards, and was really itching to buy an RO90, but wonder with the smaller pad if that makes it less ideal for use as an everyday sander.

I follow Festool on FB but missed this. I assume it will be an orbital sander VS random orbital, or did those mad German scientists come up with a convertible system?

2 hours ago, BK13 said:

Do you still have the convertible 5"/6" Bosch? The reason I ask is I was sanding my deck and the 5" Milwaukee ROS I was using was just a smidge too big to not over lap a few of the boards, and was really itching to buy an RO90, but wonder with the smaller pad if that makes it less ideal for use as an everyday sander.

I follow Festool on FB but missed this. I assume it will be an orbital sander VS random orbital, or did those mad German scientists come up with a convertible system?

I do Kurt. One of my favorites. Works really well with DC and the swirl pattern is fantastic. Very little feedback to the user when aggressive sanding. I've never used the dust canister that comes with it but it looks pretty solid.

2 hours ago, BK13 said:

One more thing. The RO90DX is a phenomenal tool. I don't use it for finish sanding just the first part of the finishing and the Rotex mode will literally flatten out mountains.

3 hours ago, BK13 said:

I used my Bosch 5" sander to sand my entire 20'x25' deck...through grits! worked well but the deck was only a year old at that point. 

Yeah, I've been here three years and had never refinished it. I didn't go any finer than 80 grit, as I was getting it ready to sell (and it's a damn deck, it gets stuff dragged across it), but I wanted something a touch more aggressive to deal with slightly warped edges. 14' x 44' deck and I was feeling it in my poor old knees.

14 minutes ago, BK13 said:

Yeah, I've been here three years and had never refinished it. I didn't go any finer than 80 grit, as I was getting it ready to sell (and it's a damn deck, it gets stuff dragged across it), but I wanted something a touch more aggressive to deal with slightly warped edges. 14' x 44' deck and I was feeling it in my poor old knees.

could try some 34 grit haha 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...