Tool Advice

TheBlueSmartie

Hello everyone, I need all your opinions please. I am going to purchase a new combi drill in a few weeks and want some advice / feedback. The 2 drills that I am looking at are the bosch 18v GSB-EC brushless drill and the milwaukee M18ONEPD 18V Fuel brushless One Key drill. 

I would like to buy more power tools in the future and versatility would be nice but no big deal. I don't mind buying a different brand. Please give me your thoughts on these 2 drills. I don't know a lot about milwaukee stuff so looking forward to hearing from you all. 

Think the Milwaukee would be the way to go. they have a huge line of tools and bare tools when you have batteries laying around. that would save a little money down the road.. That's what I would do if I was looking at those two brands

I'd say Milwaukee because of their lineup but I'm not sure about distribution in Ireland. I know Milwaukee has the killer 12V Milwaukee M12 4-in-1 Drill Driver Kit in Europe (Part number: BDDXKIT-202C)...that alone, when starting growing my tool collection, I'm going with Milwaukee. Festool, Fein and Metabo are the only ones with that style kit(but much more expensive), I believe. It is 12v, brushed but it's a drill/driver a screwdriver and a right angle drill/driver (forth is an offset screwdriver) in one.

In the US, I think I'd go with Milwaukee or Makita if I were to start over. I'm pretty damn happy with Milwaukee. I really only lust after Festool, Metabo and Hilti tools over Milwaukee. I don't really know what Bosch has that is EU only or what isn't available for either brand in EU.

I would say Milwaukee. Simply because of ther huge 18volt and 12volt lineup. If you were looking to extend your range further Milwaukee would be the way to go. The one key system is good and if you work around alot of people it is a good tracking device they are stil trying to work on it and progress on it but its a start. Hope you have gained some helpfull information cheers,

willy

Are you only limited to those two brands?

What sort of work do you mainly do?

I personally think the cost of the One-Key unit may not be warranted for a starter. But it's certainly the better drill of the two in performance. For longevity ... possibly the Bosch?

2 hours ago, dwain said:

Are you only limited to those two brands?

What sort of work do you mainly do?

I personally think the cost of the One-Key unit may not be warranted for a starter. But it's certainly the better drill of the two in performance. For longevity ... possibly the Bosch?

I work mainly on home improvements and lots of odd jobs. The reason I thought of bosch is because my father has had a Bosch professional drill for years and he has put it through its paces. Also the main reason I picked the milwaukee drill is because of the tool line up. The one key system doesn't bother me. If I could get the normal 18v fuel I would if I decided to go with milwaukee. 

Welcome aboard and have you not considered dewalt. Although i dont own the latest models myself they are getting great reviews here and elsewhere. Secondly look to the UK and save yourself a fortune. Only time i have bought on home soil is my mitresaw amd tablesaw just because of shipping charges 

6 minutes ago, Turner85 said:

Welcome aboard and have you not considered dewalt. Although i dont own the latest models myself they are getting great reviews here and elsewhere. Secondly look to the UK and save yourself a fortune. Only time i have bought on home soil is my mitresaw amd tablesaw just because of shipping charges 

Hi Turner. Yes I have also looked at dewalt. The bosch is coming in at 210 euro and the milwaukee and dewalt are around the 260 price tag. I'm consider all feedback. I just picked two brands one of which I have an idea of and the other is a large collection of tools. 

I agree with you. I will be buying tools from the uk or eBay or even Amazon as they are so much cheaper online then local or national shops. 

I've had Bosch tools and still have a couple of 12v tools in my shop. They make decent tools for professional and home work your can't go wrong with them. My main line shop tools are Festool but I have a lot of Dewalt and Makita tools in the shop. I would say you can't go wrong with any of these tool lineups. I have tried many times to keep just one tool lineup in the cordless arena but have finally given up. For CORDLESS tools...

Festool T18, CXS, TXS and the HKC55 as well as the Syslite.

Dewalt 20v hammer, 3 speed impact, 60vgrinder 60v circular and a hedge trimmer and blower.

Makita 18v subcompact impact, brushless barrel grip jigsaw, sander, grinder and a chain saw.

Bosch 12v flashlight and two jackets.

That Dewalt hammer and impact are game changers for framing and heavy duty use. My small Makita collection is amazing. My Festool are absolutely choice but really $$$$.  

Regardless...Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita etc etc etc you can't go wrong.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBlueSmartie said:

Right now I am thinking the bosch drill because it is 60 euro cheaper. For diy and odd jobs this to me sounds the better option. Which drill would last over the years? Let me know about your drills guys. What is your go to combi drill? 

My combi is the dewalt dcd795, have it close to 3 years. Never let me down yet although im thinking of upgrading to its big brother for drilling out locks in solid doors. My reason for going with dewalt was brooks building providers are registered repair centre. So i can drop them off and pick up without having to worry about postage etc.

• Like 1

Hi Turner. Yes I have also looked at dewalt. The bosch is coming in at 210 euro and the milwaukee and dewalt are around the 260 price tag. I'm consider all feedback. I just picked two brands one of which I have an idea of and the other is a large collection of tools. 

I agree with you. I will be buying tools from the uk or eBay or even Amazon as they are so much cheaper online then local or national shops. 

Nows a great time aswell with the exchange rates

Right now I am thinking the bosch drill because it is 60 euro cheaper. For diy and odd jobs this to me sounds the better option. Which drill would last over the years? Let me know about your drills guys. What is your go to combi drill? 

Bosch really is a great brand, they're slow to market but when they release something it's done well. The problem is that the big expense is batteries, you really don't want to go into multiple brands...so your savings might be eaten up if you need something Bosch doesn't make. Milwaukee's lineup is insane, great lighting options which is soo appealing when you're under a cabinet or working into the evening.

• Like 2

@TheBlueSmartie, this is sort of a loaded question, as we can give you advice (lots varying) on drills all day long. I guess to me I would consider what other tools are going to make your life easier down the road. If you just need a drill, I think the Bosch is a fine choice. Their tools work great, they last, performance, etc. However, I think you get pigeon holed potentially if you decide to go with Bosch as your #1 lineup. As I said, their tools are fine, but I think you will be limited in your cordless options if you decide to go that route. 

@BMack37 - Note - we posted at the same time and the advice, while different, is getting to the same point.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FrosBros82 said:

@TheBlueSmartie, this is sort of a loaded question, as we can give you advice (lots varying) on drills all day long. I guess to me I would consider what other tools are going to make your life easier down the road. If you just need a drill, I think the Bosch is a fine choice. Their tools work great, they last, performance, etc. However, I think you get pigeon holed potentially if you decide to go with Bosch as your #1 lineup. As I said, their tools are fine, but I think you will be limited in your cordless options if you decide to go that route. 

@BMack37 - Note - we posted at the same time and the advice, while different, is getting to the same point.

The bosch is a reasonable price. In terms of what other tools I would use in the future I would say things like sanders and multi tools. Maybe even an impact driver. Does anyone have experience with the bosch 1 for all tools? The green tools with the same battery for all. 

@TheBlueSmartie, Sanders, for the most part are still corded, so you buying the drill won't have any implications on that. Multi tools on the other hand are a valuable cordless tool that most of the big players produce... (not sure on Bosch?). Then obviously an impact driver you can get with any brand that you decide to go with.

I HATE the Dewalt transmission. Switching gears is a pain because sometimes(nearly all of the time) it won't go from 3 to 2 so you have to bump the trigger. Then it will go from 3 to 1 and then you switch it to 2... Milwaukee never has had that problem changing gears. Dewalt has had that problem for a while and has never fixed it.

Cordless sanders aren't really necessary in my opinion...Bosch sanders are top notch, definitely better than Milwaukee but again, both will do a great job. Bosch also has much better jig saws, Milwaukee's jig saws are quite dated. 

• Haha 1

I personally like Dewalt's hammer drill more than Milwuakee's. I don't see the transmission sticking as a big problem. Mine has stuck once since I've owned it... Milwaukee drills feel like that have more wobble in them to me, but it could just be the ones I've tried. I've never used Bosch's but if it's anything like the rest of their tools, it's probably good.

All three brands have a cordless multitool. I like the Dewalt, but from what I understand it is inferior to Bosch's starlock multitools. MIlwaukee's is apparently very out of date. 

Honestly, you aren't going to go wrong no matter which of these options you pick. I don't know if in-store demos are a thing in Ireland, but that might be the best way to make your choice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheBlueSmartie said:

@bmac32 See I never knew dewalt had these problems. Everyone swears by them and they are very common here in Ireland. Why is nobody in favour of cordless sanders? 

Belt sanders are power hungry, you're normally close to power when using them and you'll probably want to use dust extraction so you'd have a hose anyway. ROS and finish sanders aren't power hungry and really don't need the external dust extraction but I've honestly never used them and wished it was cordless, it would add weight and become bigger and less balanced.