Tool Advice

TheBlueSmartie

9 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Belt sanders are power hungry, you're normally close to power when using them and you'll probably want to use dust extraction so you'd have a hose anyway. ROS and finish sanders aren't power hungry and really don't need the external dust extraction but I've honestly never used them and wished it was cordless, it would add weight and become bigger and less balanced.

Yeah I think cordless sanders need a smaller battery like 1.5 or 2.0 to keep them balanced. I'd say a cordless sander would be easier to use on the lighter jobs. 

• Like 1

Here is the two options I am currently thinking ---> https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milwaukee-m18blpd-401c

and http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bosch-18v-GSB18V-EC-Brushless-Combi-Hammer-Drill-GSB18VEC-Metal-Chuck-1-x4-0ah/311873399851?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649.. Let me know what ya think. The Milwaukee is a small bit more but if it's worth it then I don't mind. 

@TheBlueSmartie More than double the torque and 200 or so on the RPM. The regular brushless isn't a bad drill, but it's not designed to get beat up, if that makes sense. It's a step below their fuel line, in terms of being a professional level tool. Not to say that it can't be used in that capacity, but the likelihood of it breaking or not being up to the application or standards are probably greater. @BMack37 might be able to give you a little better insight than I can. I own the fuel, I am speaking on specs and what my rep said. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FrosBros82 said:

@TheBlueSmartie More than double the torque and 200 or so on the RPM. The regular brushless isn't a bad drill, but it's not designed to get beat up, if that makes sense. It's a step below their fuel line, in terms of being a professional level tool. Not to say that it can't be used in that capacity, but the likelihood of it breaking or not being up to the application or standards are probably greater. @BMack37 might be able to give you a little better insight than I can. I own the fuel, I am speaking on specs and what my rep said. 

For diy and other less heavy duty work would the milwaukee be up to it? I mean that fuel is heavy duty work. For a good drill for home use would the non fuel version be a better choice? 

I'd recommend getting brushless and get a hammer drill if you have any cinder block. You're probably going to have it for a while, might as well get the newest tech(brushless, lithium). For MOST stuff the m12 brushed drill will get the job done...and it's nice to use something lighter weight. BUT at some point, you're going to want more power and that's where the Fuel comes in. Honestly, the One Key Fuel is awfully large for basic home owner stuff. It's not a drill you'd really want to be under a cabinet with, it's also pretty loud in comparison...especially compared to the old (and probably more familiar) brushed NiCad drills. I wouldn't count out the m12 lineup, I've used several old corded drills that aren't as powerful as the the m12 Fuel and the price should drop after the Gen 2 comes out.

I can do some comparison pics, I have the full-sized Fuel hammer and non-hammer drills, the compact m18 drill, the m12 Fuel hammer drill and the m12 brushed drill.

For the record, Dewalt's chuck is definitely better than Milwaukee's chuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a DIY'er, I'd recommend going for a compact kit. Brushed or brushless. 

With a couple of slim batteries, the price is MUCH cheaper and will be fine 99.9% of the time.

This kit for instance, is quite a nice drill - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-M18BPDKIT-Compact-Combi-Batteries/dp/B071NV5BXV/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1501047941&sr=1-5&keywords=drill+18v

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dwain said:

For a DIY'er, I'd recommend going for a compact kit. Brushed or brushless. 

With a couple of slim batteries, the price is MUCH cheaper and will be fine 99.9% of the time.

This kit for instance, is quite a nice drill - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-M18BPDKIT-Compact-Combi-Batteries/dp/B071NV5BXV/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1501047941&sr=1-5&keywords=drill+18v

I got by with the US version of that kit for a couple years. I still use the drill sometimes because of the size but the chuck is starting to mess up and it's getting worse. Really, the One Key drill is f-ing huge and heavy. You'd definitely want to get larger batteries when expanding past this, outside of the small lights and this drill/impact driver those batteries aren't very useful.

Obviously their are different levels of diyers but I have a 6 tool m18 fuel set at home (why I don't know) and 99.9% of the time I still use a m12 brushed drill.  It just seems like for things around the house like assembling furniture, hanging pictures and curtain rods the smaller lighter tool fits the bill best.

• Like 1

He can later  buy a kit with larger batteries IF he wants a grinder / circ saw etc. But the truth is that most normal people (I don't include any forum members in that category) just stick with a drill, and maybe an impact driver.

• Like 3

On 25/07/2017 at 0:20 AM, TheBlueSmartie said:

What is the dewalt equivalent of the bosch or the milwaukee brushless combi drill? 

Perhaps the compact DCD796. I just bought this drill a few weeks back and it's great for DIY. Tons of power/speed and probably the most comfortable grip of all drills. Smaller and lighter than the Milwaukee. 

See

• Like 3

It's actually quite funny really. England turns an inhabited continent into a criminal colony (mostly destroying the historic inhabitants in the process).

Couple hundred years later, that 'colony' outranks it in livable...ness. 

https://www.infoplease.com/world/political-statistics/most-livable-countries-2013

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/the-happiest-and-most-miserable-countries/news-story/1ff850b4fd1b7bc4429bd560ca8ece1e

• Like 3

12 hours ago, dwain said:

It's actually quite funny really. England turns an inhabited continent into a criminal colony (mostly destroying the historic inhabitants in the process).

Couple hundred years later, that 'colony' outranks it in livable...ness. 

https://www.infoplease.com/world/political-statistics/most-livable-countries-2013

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/the-happiest-and-most-miserable-countries/news-story/1ff850b4fd1b7bc4429bd560ca8ece1e

England is great at taking inhabited land and mostly destroying the inhabitants, and then making that land more livable than England. Exhibit B: Canada

• Like 1

Well that took longer than usual guys, how did you stay on topic for so long? Lol

I have Milwaukee simply for their large selection of tools they have for my trade. 

I have used Bosch and like them too, nothing wrong with either brand.