Sign in to follow this  
AnonymousJoe

Help my house smells!

So my house was built in 64, small ranch with a walk out basement.  Over the past 8 years I've completely remodeled it inside and out.  Refinished floors, doors, trim, closets, baths, kitchen, I've painted like 5 times, dehumidifier runs year round.... and I cannot get that old musty smell out of my house! We are going nuts here , wife wants to move, we love the house and property but can't take the smell.  Only idea I have left is removing the old lay in attic insulation which is covered with old blow in insulation over top. Anyone have any experience with this? Do you think the attic insulation is the culprit maybe the smell is leaking in thru the recessed can lighting?

You could try running an ozone machine in the attic...it should be pretty apparent where the smell is coming from, it should get pretty unbearable near the source. Obviously, if you're going to use the ozone machine be careful and follow all the precautions. You basically turn it on before you leave and they run on a timer. It shuts off and it takes some time to disperse and after several hours it's safe to reenter.

Ozone machine FTW...... We have one as part of our mitigation work, rent one, you'll be happy with the results.

If you have a musty basement, there isn’t much you can do for the smell if there is a moisture issue. You have to find and fix the problem. Masking it doesn’t solve it.

I had issues as well, turned out that the basement wasn’t insulated properly and the insulation was retaining some moisture. We had to seal the concrete and re-insulate. We also found a drain that was tied into the weeping tile was also smelling. It was pretty damp/wet and had holes in the top. Sealed that up too.

Musty smell gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk