Drilling and driving bits

TheBlueSmartie

I like the gold Makita bits they are the absolute best. That Bosch looks like it could be nice but haven't tried them.. I do have a lot of the kobalt bits I bought when they were on sale they work pretty good for the price but def not on the same level as Makita.. the makita magnet even works good lol

• Like 1

I go through a lot of bits and tried pretty much everything the box stores have to offer, I haven't settled on any particular brand(Zephyr if I could afford them, find em local or wait for an order lol), but I'm really liking the new(er)Bosch Impact bits...

image.thumb.png.52f6ab3fc8c96ba2314d8dee8ebcd063.png

Lotta guys like the Makita Gold..... meh their fine if you like bits that are just OK.

Drill bits on the other hand I could care less, I hardly use my drill(s), so I just get whatever is cheap at the closest store when I do need some, I probably have Ryobi or Vermont American or a mix of randomness, for concret I just use whatever is included in the Tapcon package.   

• Like 1

Bits: I've used a lot of different bits. From HD or Lowe's the best bits are from HD. The Makita gold is most expensive but it's tough and fits screws well, it's also the ONLY bit those stores sell that isn't made in China(Made in Japan). Dewalt Max fit is next, pretty cheap bits and they're strong enough to last a while and fit screws decently. The old Bosch ribbed bits are pretty good but they wear out fast and not impact rated. Irwin is ok, Kobalt is pretty good but not impact rated. The Dewalt Flex Torq sucks. Milwaukee isn't even worth noting.

The best bits, IMO, are Felo. Following them I'd probably pick Wiha then a tie between Wera and PB Swiss...I'd put PB Swiss comparable to Wiha but the price and availability knocks them down a bit.

Drill bits: I like my CLEs, they're great bits. Of the major brand bits go, I tend to get Dewalt, they're decent. I haven't tried the Milwaukee Shockwave but people seem to like them. I also think the Irwin/Hanson industrial bits are very good. Honestly, it's worth it to pay more for good bits, I've really stopped buying big box store drill bits...though I did just replace some Kobalt hex bits for my work toolbox, I rarely use them and I almost always use those for plastic or wood (and normally for only 1 or 2 holes) so they don't need to be all that great.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BMack37 said:

The Dewalt Flex Torq sucks.

I have been pleased with my Flex Torq set. Best bits I have ever used but I haven't used any of the good brands you have mentioned. Also probably the most expensive set I have used if you go by a per bit basis. Never broken any and they hardly wear at all and screws fit as great. Except I have never used any of the good brands you mentioned except maybe the Irwin or Kobalt. I have used many others like the older basic non impact DeWALTs, Masterforce, and various other brands that I would guess are in the cheap category. Masterforce are garbage, the Flex Torq are good in my opinion, and the rest I have used are meh. The new Bosch and Makita impact bits look nice. Might be worth trying. I wouldn't mind trying Felo or other German brands but the price is an arm and a leg. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jronman said:

I have been pleased with my Flex Torq set. Best bits I have ever used but I haven't used any of the good brands you have mentioned. Also probably the most expensive set I have used if you go by a per bit basis. Never broken any and they hardly wear at all and screws fit as great. Except I have never used any of the good brands you mentioned except maybe the Irwin or Kobalt. I have used many others like the older basic non impact DeWALTs, Masterforce, and various other brands that I would guess are in the cheap category. Masterforce are garbage, the Flex Torq are good in my opinion, and the rest I have used are meh. The new Bosch and Makita impact bits look nice. Might be worth trying. I wouldn't mind trying Felo or other German brands but the price is an arm and a leg. 

If you break a Felo impact bit, KC Tool will replace it...seriously. Try Dewalt Max fit, it's pretty cheap and definitely better than Flex Torq. Makita and the other better bits are pricey.

Before I went on my search for best bits Bosch was my favorite(I have not tried the new Bosch bits). I recommended it to everyone, now Bosch is not even close to the top of my list.

I don't want to push anyone out of using what they like, my opinions are just my opinions...though I may have worded it like those were facts (IE with hard evidence and scientific testing) they're just opinions based on my usage. Also keep in mind that our individual usage may vary. I use mostly longer bits, many only use 1" bits and a bit holder. A 1" bit can potentially be very different than the same make in a 3.5" bit. I use my bits A LOT on a drill with a clutch that sometimes is too heavy so I let the bit cam out to not strip, that causes a lot of wear on the bits. I use impact drivers a fair bit as well but I really put them through the paces in driving.

• Like 2

I finally got a chance to look at bits on KC and they are all out of my price range lol... I'm sure they are better then the big box stores bits though.. maybe when I get extra cash I will try some of those they all look nice and have good looking cases.. those are just wishlist items after the gotta have for shop items lol

27 minutes ago, Jscott said:

I finally got a chance to look at bits on KC and they are all out of my price range lol... I'm sure they are better then the big box stores bits though.. maybe when I get extra cash I will try some of those they all look nice and have good looking cases.. those are just wishlist items after the gotta have for shop items lol

Undoubtedly they are pricey. It's hard to compete with the Dewalt Maxfit pricing. You'll see the improved machining and they're heavier.