Gift as a thank you for work crew

DiverDn

Hello,

We're having a major addition to the house done and the main part of the crew is three young guys, mid twenties.

We are thinking of buying them something as a kind of a tip / thank you for a job well done. Good workers, polite and doing a good job.

The each seem to be well outfitted with tools, they're using Stiletto hammers, decent tape measures, etc.

I would like to get each of them a tool. Any suggestions on something in the $50 - $100 range each?

Thanks,

John

You can probably see what screwdrivers or pliers they're using, most guys will be using good hammers but don't have the Cadillac of screwdrivers and pliers because those are typically an online purchase. They're probably using Channellock pliers and Craftsman/Husky/Klein screwdrivers. You could get them a set of Wera or Felo Chiseldrivers. Or a pair of Knipex linesman or diagonal cutters.

Anything would be great. I've worked a lot of different jobs, working guys rarely get tips...tips always go to service like doormen, servers, bartenders, etc... I got more tips selling furniture(while working on commission) than I ever have by fixing something.

@DiverDn thats a great idea. I would either say a gift card, a tough system box, or a battery for their cordless power tools. Giftcards allow them to pick what they want but more storage is always nice to have for more tool storage and tough system is a great option because its modular. I don't know how many cordless power tools they got or how many batteries they got for them but as more and more things go cordless, more batteries will be needed. Seems like there are regular battery sales/deals for many of the popular tool brands. Might be able to find some for $100. Another option for 3 guys in their 20's is a nice home cooked meal. Hard to go wrong with food.

There are some good ideas. 

I understand the gift card idea, but was thinking something they could use and remember as a gift. I agree, hard workers are hard to come by and deserve a tip as much as a waiters.

I did plan on doing a burger cookout on their last day, if I can get them to sit still long enough.

I will get some pictures of the job up soon, hopefully.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks

I don't like the gift card idea either. It's very practical but it's not personal, it's like found money. I couldn't tell you what I bought with the gift card I won in a giveaway...but I can remember multiple tools I've received and occasionally I smile at the thought that someone cared enough to share it with me, those tools will never leave my possession.

Gift cards are great and they'll make someone's day/week and they'll remember that one time a guy gave him a gift card...but a tool they use everyday will leave a lasting memory that someone appreciated them. That guy might have to deal with tons of horrible clients but the most memorable will be the one that gave him a tool he uses every day. I've complimented neat items an older man was carrying or had in their garage and heard them tell me a story about how they were working somewhere and a guy gave them it for such and such reason...Normally it's a pocket knife or a tool of some sort like a ratchet.

I carry a leatherman sidekick for my EDK. It's basic and most importantly for me, has a pocket clip. It runs about $50.00, so that would be in your range and something that most people would use/appreciate. Also, a LDM could be an option? A Bosch 100' is $70.00 at Home Depot... with the reviews being 4.5/5 stars.  Just my two cents, let us know what you end up deciding. 

Yeah, the more I think about it... the more likely I would probably go with some sort of Leatherman or multi tool. Without exaggeration, I use mine every single day. It would be a good buy that anyone would appreciate receiving. 

On 7/29/2017 at 8:53 AM, Eric - TIA said:

Would love to see the addition as we are about to go through on also.  I agree with the Home Depot then they can get what they want.  However Leatherman does rock.

Eric,

Rather than try to upload a bunch of pictures, I am going to link the Facebook page of the builder.  They are doing a great job and have documented the build pretty well.

We had a flat roof over top an indoor pool that my father in law had built to rehab after his first major heart attack. The roof over this area has been replaced three times. So this time it was decided to put an addition over.

The house had the original wood shakes from when it was built in 1977. So we had it re-shingled as part of the addition.

https://www.facebook.com/Covers-Construction-LLC-1612361222338495/

They are doing other projects at the same time, if you go to the picture of the truck load of ceiling trusses you can follow the progress.

The exterior paint was completed today and the interior is to be done this week. We are on the home stretch.

John

• Like 3

Thanks, yes it is a cool build.

The house belongs to the in-laws. They built it back in 1977 and the flat roof had been replaced three times, so this time they inclosed it to make a new room. A 1,600 sq ft room.

The flat roof was originally designed to square dance on, but I don't think they ever did for fear of making it leak, which it did anyway.

New floor trusses, 2x6 walls, closed cell foam insulation and pine car siding.  We have a big family and it will be well used during parties.

• 2 weeks later...