Petite Dwarf

Hello, I'm trying to pick up some bit drivers for security/tamper resistant bolts.  There are super cheap sets and fancier sets.  Naturally scale and branding adds complexity to the pricing.

Some of the nicer products call out materials just simply as "Chromium Vanadium Steel" or "S2".  I believe S2 is highly specific yet all of these are subject to if and how they are tempered.  Is there a clear leaning of what materials bit drivers should be made of?  I understand S2 has great impact resistance. Yet S2 is a costly material than other alloys that could function similarly.

I'm just trying to assign utilitarian value to type of metal used without knowing exactly that they tempered this steel a certain way to gain this type of property.

Thank you for the input!

Product's that are being considered:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2841-Screwdriver-Electronic-135-Piece/dp/B008HYVG6I/

https://www.amazon.com/SCREWDRIVER-SECURITY-SPECIALTY-Ratchet-TRI-WING/dp/B005YCX8HG/

https://www.amazon.com/TEMO-Impact-Security-Screwdriver-chucks/dp/B00GYOM04K/

S2 is harder but that makes it more likely to shatter. Honestly, with 1/4 bits that aren't being using in an impact driver, I don't think it matters all that much.

The Tekton set is nice but the case is rather large to be in a bag and the drivers kinda suck.

The Anytime looks like a HF screwdriver. So it might be the same bits in their 100 bit set...they're (Harbor Freight) actually plenty good BUT the hex bits are not the right size, the security hex is the right size.

The Temo looks like a really nice set, those look like they're well made.

I'd take the Temo over Tekton but the Tekton has precision micro bits too and is cheaper. The nylon pry tool in the Tekton set is useless, you'd want to replace that...I don't know how they messed that up, last time I bought a pack of 10 of those for a couple bucks shipped from China.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 10:22 PM, BMack37 said:

S2 is harder but that makes it more likely to shatter. Honestly, with 1/4 bits that aren't being using in an impact driver, I don't think it matters all that much.

The Tekton set is nice but the case is rather large to be in a bag and the drivers kinda suck.

The Anytime looks like a HF screwdriver. So it might be the same bits in their 100 bit set...they're (Harbor Freight) actually plenty good BUT the hex bits are not the right size, the security hex is the right size.

The Temo looks like a really nice set, those look like they're well made.

I'd take the Temo over Tekton but the Tekton has precision micro bits too and is cheaper. The nylon pry tool in the Tekton set is useless, you'd want to replace that...I don't know how they messed that up, last time I bought a pack of 10 of those for a couple bucks shipped from China.

You want to see an explosion? Put a tekton bit in an impact driver ha ha boom every time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I am also looking for some decent screwdrivers.   My really old stuff is still going after 40/50 years, but showing signs of wear.  Chrome vanadium.

I buy something here and there, but they don't last five minutes nowadays, especially with shorter screws. Maybe they are getting harder !

After a lot of research, I came up with a short list of steel hardness for tools;

High carbon

Chrome vanadium

Chrome Molybdenum

S2 steel

Chrome vanadium molybdenum (CVM)

Protanium

Here in the UK, we can't seem to get anything harder than C.vanadium, or maybe the odd S2 (which isn't when it arrives).

I'm after a 500mm (400/100mm) driver for use on kitchen cabinets etc.

Good luck to you all - hope you are keeping safe.

T.O.M

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 4:22 AM, BMack37 said:

S2 is harder but that makes it more likely to shatter.

Incorrect. Hardness and toughness, while inversely related, are inversely related within a given composition of steel. Comparing two substantially different steels by a single mechanical property is fallacious.

The S series steels are shock steels. They were developed specifically to have higher toughness at any given hardness than other steels, often to the detriment to their peak hardness. S series steels won't reach 60Rc without water quenches, and industry avoids water quenches if it can, for understandable reasons. But S series steels will reach Charpy V notch impact energies well in excess of 60 joules, which 6150 at that hardness won't, even with very devout prayer.

S2 steel is becoming the choice of almost all manufacturers of hand tools in place of 6150 (CrV) steel because it outperforms it in all metrics and isn't any more expensive to the toolmaker by a meaningful margin. 

The reason it's a new thing is that historically the UK especially, hasn't used the AISI S series steels because, well, we're idiots. They're well established in the US and Australia, and have equivalents in the Pacific rim, Russia and continental Europe, who all also use the L series steels too.

On the subject of heat treatment of these steels, they will be performed to given industry standards per alloy system. There will be very little difference between the performance of the same steel itself in bits by any manufacturer. What will matter more is how much attention is given to head forming - such as more complete filling of the screw inset, or an additional diamond dust coating applied to the rebates of the head

• Like 1

Good explanation, Falanx.

If you want to have a good set of screwdriver bits / security screwdriver bits you should make it yourself. Buy some DeWALT bit sets with Toughcase / Toughcase+ accessory cases and take one case and fill it up with plastic bit holders / racks from the other sets and buy the bits from Wiha, Wera, Apex, Felo, Athlet, PB Swiss or Wekador as none of them would have a full range for you.