DCF887B or DCD791D2 for irwin speedbor

natbea09

I have both of the above named drills.  With my 1/4 impacting drill the irwin speedbor drill bits fit right in and lock in.  My 1/2 drill I have to close the chuck and the shank but looks alright.  My question is my 1/4 drill really powerful enough to run these wood boring bits that go all the way up to 1 - 1/4in hole sizes without being to hard on it? Or should i just use my 1/2 drill? As you can see im very new with power tools.  Thanks for your help!

IRWIN SPEEDBOR Max Speed Auger Wood Drill Bit Set, 6-Piece, 3041006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQ905E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6j9FzbP918V8S

• Like 1

Both will complete the task. I use my drill(791) to um... drill holes(strange, I know right) and my impact driver(887) to drive screws. Both tools can be used for similar purposes, like having a car and truck, sure you can pull a small trailer with a car but the truck does it better, you can take the truck on a road trip but the car is more comfortable.  

PS. Just a heads up don't call the 887 a drill, its an impact driver or impact for short, calling it a drill will make it feel it is unloved and think that you don't care...  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, natbea09 said:

I have both of the above named drills.  With my 1/4 impacting drill the irwin speedbor drill bits fit right in and lock in.  My 1/2 drill I have to close the chuck and the shank but looks alright.  My question is my 1/4 drill really powerful enough to run these wood boring bits that go all the way up to 1 - 1/4in hole sizes without being to hard on it? Or should i just use my 1/2 drill? As you can see im very new with power tools.  Thanks for your help!

IRWIN SPEEDBOR Max Speed Auger Wood Drill Bit Set, 6-Piece, 3041006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LQ905E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6j9FzbP918V8S

@natbea09 Welcome to the forums bro!  No worries asking questions, that is what the forum is all about and we all start somewhere. When I was first getting into woodworking and building and repairing my first home I found this site after watching Erics demo of the Makita LXT211 kit. I learned a lot, asked a lot, and now when I retire in a little over a year fro, the New Hampshire State Police, I will more likely than not get into building and custom cabinetry. Quite the start just watching a few videos and asking some basic questions.

I have the DCD997 and the 887. Generally speaking I use the impact for driving lags and what not, that 887 is huge powerhouse and would easily pound that speedbore but it also is impacting the boring tool and could damage the Irwin as well as cause some serious chip out to your project piece.  The 779 will have plenty of torque to eat through the wood and give you a cleaner blowout on the back side. Plus give you more control.

What is your opinion of the tools? I am a huge fan of Dewalt and have several of the tools as well as some of the flexvolts.

Anyways, continue to ask away, don't worry about your experience. We have pros on this site as well as hacks such as myself. This is a great place to learn from pros and guys and gals who have figured out what's right and wrong when it comes to power and hand tools.

Chris.

• Like 1

I have mixed views on this one... as I tend to go old school and use my actual drill for drilling operations and my impact for driving operations, if that makes sense. Not sure if there is a study done, but I just think it is hard on your bits and what not when you are using an impact. Most of the impacts have a drill mode, but I still normally use my drill. However, there is something to be said about not having to loosen and tighten the chuck when you want to drill... which is when the impact comes into play. I realize this didn't directly answer your question, but this is what I do personally. Also, welcome to the forums. @natbea09

FB82

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone! And thanks for welcoming me to this forum.. I'm sure i will ask more questions.  So I think I get the basic idea that both will get the job done.  I like my impact because the bits lock right into the place and the wood boring bits are obviously straight too.  Now my next question.  I have three settings. 1, 2, and 3.  Setting 1 is a screw setting so I'm using some common sense here and gunna go ahead and say that 1 is obviously not the right setting for boring holes haha.  So what should I go with 2 or 3? Or just feel it out?

Give it the onion, go with three and don't mess around!

In all seriousness, it depends what you're drilling in and if its a finished product or not. Something to think about... if I am drilling and make a mistake will anyone be able to see it? Drilling holes in backing... go with a three. Drilling pilot holes for exposed wood... maybe a two.

8 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

I have mixed views on this one... as I tend to go old school and use my actual drill for drilling operations and my impact for driving operations, if that makes sense. Not sure if there is a study done, but I just think it is hard on your bits and what not when you are using an impact. Most of the impacts have a drill mode, but I still normally use my drill. However, there is something to be said about not having to loosen and tighten the chuck when you want to drill... which is when the impact comes into play. I realize this didn't directly answer your question, but this is what I do personally. Also, welcome to the forums. @natbea09

FB82

impacts have a drill mode?

The impact will make a hole...we have used it to drill out 1 1/4 holes in pt wood for sills on the foundation, for extended use it does beat up your impact....the 791 will do the job ,but again for extended use or daily use it will beat up your drill....the 996 or similar is a much better option for daily use of larger holes,,those drills can handle abuse......

Nah the 791 will do just fine, it's way more drill than anyone gives it credit for and more powerful than the average guy will ever need! The 996 is just stupid insane strong. 

@natbea09 the 887's modes take a little bit to get used to, 1 is for gentle work like cabinet screws , when the driver turns the screw almost all the way in it will stop pause about a second and then impact, this can catch you off guard and mess with your brain the first few times but it works fantastically, 2 is kinda like training wheel mode and probably best for normal screws like drywall/construction/backerboard/short lags, once you are used to the trigger control then go for 3... its POWA! mode and will give almost any length lag pure hell and overdrive them too! 

I use my impact for drilling holes a lot it doesn't have that wrist snapping twist when the drill binds up just blows through the wood no problem.. i do use my drill for smaller holes but always turn to the impact for big holes. It is faster I think and I just have the brushed Porter Cable drills not the fancy brushless ones u speak of lol... Welcome to the forum 

3 hours ago, Jronman said:

@natbea09 have you looked at the new Bosch daredevil auger bits. I'm not sure how they compare price wise to the Irwin Speed Bore but in tests the Bosch cuts better.

I just checked those out and those look great! Plus they have a half inch shank so that would work perfectly for my drill.  I guess I could always get multiple setups.  The impact is nice because it's smaller and more compact and can fit in more places. The drill with a daredevil auger must do some work in a hurry.