DeWALT Power Station

FrosBros82

Love the concept of these, but can't see real world use unless you've got a large stack of batteries. If you don't have a lot of batteries, you're gonna need power nearby to recharge it, if you've got power nearby then you don't need it. If you're working out in the field, literally, then you'll need stacks of batteries or a petrol generator, but if you've got a petrol generator, then why bother with this? Only useful as a standby power supply of you've got batteries pre-charged, I never leave cells fully charged as I've been taught it's harmful to lithium cells to store them fully charged. 

Like I said, loving the concept, but can't see me ever needing one. 

Would like to hear other views on my comments. 

15 hours ago, Tug said:

Love the concept of these, but can't see real world use unless you've got a large stack of batteries. If you don't have a lot of batteries, you're gonna need power nearby to recharge it, if you've got power nearby then you don't need it. If you're working out in the field, literally, then you'll need stacks of batteries or a petrol generator, but if you've got a petrol generator, then why bother with this? Only useful as a standby power supply of you've got batteries pre-charged, I never leave cells fully charged as I've been taught it's harmful to lithium cells to store them fully charged. 

No fumes and it's quiet too. you don't got the constant noise of a gas or diesel engine running in the background. Also less maintenance because no engine.

I have used it for a few things. First off, I am almost totally cordless. So I have very little 120v tools. Here is what I've used it for so far:

1. Powers a small welded to repair railings. 

2. Will run my boiler at my house when power is out. 

3. Ran my jackhammer to break up 2 sections of sidewalk

4. Ran the small electric mixer to replace above sections of sidewalk

5. Ran my HVLP sprayer to spray some steel doors

6. Powered a commercial sign (big lit sign by the street) while I was working on it. (The timer/switch was inside a closet, in an office, about 700 yds away. (beat the hell out of walking back and forth a dozen times)

7. Runs a kuerig in my van.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lunicy said:

I have used it for a few things. First off, I am almost totally cordless. So I have very little 120v tools. Here is what I've used it for so far:

1. Powers a small welded to repair railings. 

2. Will run my boiler at my house when power is out. 

3. Ran my jackhammer to break up 2 sections of sidewalk

4. Ran the small electric mixer to replace above sections of sidewalk

5. Ran my HVLP sprayer to spray some steel doors

6. Powered a commercial sign (big lit sign by the street) while I was working on it. (The timer/switch was inside a closet, in an office, about 700 yds away. (beat the hell out of walking back and forth a dozen times)

7. Runs a kuerig in my van.

What about runtimes and recharging? Is it a nuisance or just plan ahead and you're good to go? 

Definitely has the noise advantage. 

On 08/08/2017 at 7:04 PM, Tug said:

it's a tools that is great if you need to charge a lot of batteries or if you are in an industry where there isn't always easy access to power.  It isn't a tool that is design for every man, I don't think I will ever buy one because I don't really have a need to charge large quantities of batteries (beyond my 2 chargers current capabilities) and I seldom need remote power beyond my cordless tools capacity. But for rexample members who own farms could find it super handy when they need to get a small amount of welding or another job done in a paddock and they don't want to lug around a heavy petrol generator, find the empty petrol can and the have the thing not start, it would be so convenient to just plug in and go without having to start it etc.

Or if you work in a sound sensitive area and need power etc. 

So yesterday it ran the 12" miter saw (I prefer the 10") while they were cutting base. So far so good, plus there were not cords running all over too. I guess the main thing that I like is that it isn't loud... so compared to the generator that would be something that is a big plus for me. Also, as someone mentioned above.. it is a charger too, so not the worst investment ever. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tug said:

What about runtimes and recharging? Is it a nuisance or just plan ahead and you're good to go? 

Definitely has the noise advantage. 

I always keep it fully charged, and have another complete set of batteries. 

I have never run it long enough to run it dry, let alone have to use the 2nd set of batteries. 

The reason I bought it was because it takes longer to find electric, and roll out the cord than to do the damn job. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So with holiday deals I see a few places have this priced at $199.  I don't have a specific use for it but it seems pretty cheap as a backup power source being that I already have numerous batteries.  We have a couple little esab inverter welders and while we usually run them on 220v power they will run on 110v and it just seems like in a pinch this might be an okay set up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

So with holiday deals I see a few places have this priced at $199

You say this and then don't mention where it's being sold at this price! After checking everywhere I finally found it on ToolUp at that price and ordered one. :lol:

Jtkendall I actually saw it at two different farm and fleet stores in MN.  Mills fleet farm and Bomgarrs but both say the pricing is good until December 24 so I assumed it was a dewalt promo.  Possibly clearing out for the rumored bigger one. Just seemed like a good price especially since I won't really be in the market for the bigger more expensive one.

Currently, they're $279 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H41SDGU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AUEUXQQV6YS3R

One tool seller had them listed as a clearance item. Makes me wonder if there's a new SKU coming.
New version coming. Has a top carry handle. All the Intel I have right now.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Jronman said:

One thing to note this is limited to 15 amp. Any more amp might not be able to be used.

I have used a dw716 with a pancake compressor running at the same time.  As long as the batteries are charged it ran fine without tripping.  It is rated at 3600 peak watts which is 30 amps at 120v. I don't know how long it can run at peak but it seams to let it go as long as the batteries keep up.