DMM discussion thread

BMack37

This thread is the long awaited DMM discussion thread. This is where you ask any questions, talk about your preferences. Maybe mini reviews that you don't think is worthy of a thread(don't be shy about posting your own thread!). Let's try to avoid clamp meter talk here.

• Like 1

I've been working with the Southwire 16040T it's a compact meter that utilizes their phone app, it's pretty cool actually, comes with a worklight on it too. The write up is on my website if anyone is interested in it, really it's a lot of meter for 60 bucks. True RMS as well

http://thejimbosliceworkshop.com/2017/08/02/southwire-compact-true-rms-multimeter-16040t-with-bluetooth/

6a2c62b7a91c61b9122152cd950e630b.jpg

9cfcb35a6b130bd7216d25dc9adddff5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I had a Fluke 87 for years, as they were (are?) the standard for General Motors technicians.  It and a Fluke clampmeter were stolen, though, so I'm now stuck with a couple of cheap Craftsman meters and a handy but basic Klein.  Come to think of it, I do have a Fluke 110 (I think) that a coworker gave me.

2 hours ago, fm2176 said:

I had a Fluke 87 for years, as they were (are?) the standard for General Motors technicians.  It and a Fluke clampmeter were stolen, though, so I'm now stuck with a couple of cheap Craftsman meters and a handy but basic Klein.  Come to think of it, I do have a Fluke 110 (I think) that a coworker gave me.

The Fluke 87 and 87III and 87V are the industry standard for pretty much everyone. They also make the Fluke 88 which is an automotive DMM.

The Kleins aren't bad, I like their clamp meter...I think it's made by Uni-T.

• 3 months later...

We have an Indian manufacturer by the name of Meco. They make quite nice and accurate DMMs in various price ranges. The only bad thing I feel is that their DMMs look a lot like Flukes's but cost like a third of their price. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery. I don't know how much use I will get out of them but I am going to order a bunch of stuff off them this week including a DMM, a clamp meter and an advanced Kill-A-Watt meter they make.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, rdst_1 said:

We have an Indian manufacturer by the name of Meco. They make quite nice and accurate DMMs in various price ranges. The only bad thing I feel is that their DMMs look a lot like Flukes's but cost like a third of their price. I guess imitation is the best form of flattery. I don't know how much use I will get out of them but I am going to order a bunch of stuff off them this week including a DMM, a clamp meter and an advanced Kill-A-Watt meter they make.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

The thing is, those kind of meters tend to be pretty accurate(they've come a long way in the last 10 years) but they typically lack good input protection...that means if you do something dangerous like attempt to test voltage while the leads are in current jacks the meter can literally blow up in your hand. Or if you test high voltage or high current, again big bang. For most things, if you're careful, you should be fine. Also, don't expect it to last a long time, the leads will fail quickly so buy backups.

We buy Fluke because it will be accurate for a long time, it's just reliable and it's safe. At the shop we have several Flukes that are 20+ years old and all are spot on accurate and never been recalibrated, and they're used literally 5 or 6 days a week.

• Like 1