Clamp meter discussion thread

BMack37

This thread is the long awaited clamp meter discussion thread. This is where you ask any questions, talk about your preferences. Maybe mini reviews that you don't think is worthy of a thread(don't be shy about posting your own thread!). Let's try to avoid DMM talk here.

Clamp meters are definitely worth having, but I'd go for one that does DC amps through the clamp, not just AC. You never know when you'll want DC amps and meters without that function are useless. I love the Klein CL800, use it every day multiple times a day. Always performs perfectly, and for me DC amps are something I deal with daily for our PIE batteries. On AC it's a killer too, best meter I use.

Beats the snot out of our Fluke kit, sad to say for Fluke...

3 hours ago, Kato said:

Clamp meters are definitely worth having, but I'd go for one that does DC amps through the clamp, not just AC. You never know when you'll want DC amps and meters without that function are useless. I love the Klein CL800, use it every day multiple times a day. Always performs perfectly, and for me DC amps are something I deal with daily for our PIE batteries. On AC it's a killer too, best meter I use.

Beats the snot out of our Fluke kit, sad to say for Fluke...

I don't disagree in regards to clamp meters. I can't really see a reason to get a Fluke over the Klein, the Klein does everything about the same as Fluke but has more features for less money. Input protection is great on the Klein as well. Biggest knock is the K-type adapter and probe is cheaply made. The leads could be better but for the money you save, you can spend the $20-$30 to get some decent leads.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, RidersFan said:

I just recently lost my GreenleeCM-600 (still hoping I find it, great meter)and was thinking about getting a Milwaukee with white on black display. Anyone ever use a Milwaukee meter?

I have a Milwaukee DMM and it works well. I imagine the clamp meter is decent...it's probably made by Uni-T or CEM.

13 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I am pretty sure the Klein and Milwaukee meters are Mastech.

http://www.p-mastech.com/products.php?cate=123

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the low end Klein clamp meters have the leads from the face instead of from the bottom, but all of the Milwaukee and Klein higher end clamp meters have leads attached to the bottom...none of Mastech's meters are like that.

Also none of Mastech's DMMs are designed like Milwaukee's. Milwaukee has the one-handed knob, moving that is not easy, that would need an entire board rework.

Some of the low end Klein clamp meters have the leads from the face instead of from the bottom, but all of the Milwaukee and Klein higher end clamp meters have leads attached to the bottom...none of Mastech's meters are like that.

Also none of Mastech's DMMs are designed like Milwaukee's. Milwaukee has the one-handed knob, moving that is not easy, that would need an entire board rework.

Mastech is an ODM, they don’t just rebrand/recolor like CEM etc. You can specify whatever you like and they make it. The LCD is almost identical to the Klein.

I was actually talking about Mastech making the DMM more so than the clamp. But even the clamp has some similarities.

I remember reading that Milwaukee might even be making their own. Not sure.

39 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

Mastech is an ODM, they don’t just rebrand/recolor like CEM etc. You can specify whatever you like and they make it. The LCD is identical to the Klein and some Milwaukee’s though.
I was actually talking about Mastech making the DMM more so than the clamp. But even the clamp has some specific similarities.

I don't think they'd make a wildly different meter for Milwaukee. Klein is possible though I know for a fact some of Kleins meters are made by Uni-T.

The Klein clamp meters do look aesthetically like the Mastechs, but the CL110, CL210 and CL310 are definitely made by Uni-T and I'd doubt they'd have two different vendors. Screens are likely off-the-shelf Chinese screens as are the cookie cutter chips. There are not too many custom made meters, it's not worth it to companies to not rebrand when they can take guts and slap them in a custom case or do a custom color. Southwire, Greenlee are rebrands too.

Here's a link to the Canada Klein recall that lists the OEM for the Klein clamp meters: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2016/58398r-eng.php

I'm not positive who makes Milwaukee's meters, I need to see the inside of the suspected manufacturer's meters to compare. It's a decent meter, I can do some research on it if we're really curious. I don't have the clamp meter but it's likely they're the same make and I'm just not convinced they're Mastech, Uni-T or CEM. The last two are commonly rebranded, like a LOT, so it's a decent guess. I'd have to do some research on Mastech too.

Here's a pic to show how much that knob changes the layout of the board, there's no way (In my opinion) that they ordered something special to be built for some semantical like knob placement when they could have found an OEM building it like that already. It would have been wasted money.

yhjQHv2.jpg