Dewalt Flexvolt SDS MAX Rotary Drill DCH481 - oztooltalk review

dwain

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

That thing is ugly. It looks like a 90’s corded!

Sure is a beast though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubber overmold would have helped with aesthetics and its just nice to have on a tool. The 90's are in though right now so maybe Dewalt is going retro with tool styling!! Everything old seems to become cool again.

• Like 1

I think the all-yellow tools that Dewalt makes (like their electric planers) are a bit ugly. They need the black stylings. I think this one looks fine.

Where would you want the overmould DR? I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to put any more rubber on it, it is an SDS-Max unit...

Definitely want variable for certain tasks, I'm finally being swayed. I reckon a bare unit will suffice, it'll be one of those machines that saves the day when sds plus just ain't enough. 

I've watched the vid several times now and it seems to just eat those sleepers! 

14 hours ago, Tug said:

Also, the Milwaukee M18 version doesn't do rotary only, this is a big fail as you can't use it for diamond core cutters, unless I'm missing something? 

Shame as the Milwaukee is far cheaper. 

You can still use them for coring you just have to use their core bits that are made for hammering. I guess depending on the price of the bits and the difference between the DeWalt you may end up paying slightly less than the DeWalt but I haven’t priced it out.

Edit: I take it back the bits are expensive from $140-$400 each.

F25E0BB7-7B7E-4AC5-B315-226025B5168F.thumb.png.9c910a099b674734777a733b642ef8a8.png

Actually it might be a good option if you’re already in the M18 platform, have no Flexvolt tools, and only need 2-3 different size bits. The shorter lengths are in the $130-200 range. The Flexvolt kit is $800 vs the $500 bare tool Milwaukee. So you could get a couple of bits and still be cheaper.

41 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

Actually it might be a good option if you’re already in the M18 platform, have no Flexvolt tools, and only need 2-3 different size bits. The shorter lengths are in the $130-200 range. The Flexvolt kit is $800 vs the $500 bare tool Milwaukee. So you could get a couple of bits and still be cheaper.

Ah, but there's the rub! I have flexvolt, but no M18. So if I buy the Milwaukee it'll sit idle for too long which the cells won't like. I have Dewalt, so might aswell buy the bare tool and use it when it's needed. It'll kick ass in hammer mode, but still provide non-hammer for diamond drilling. 

The Red offering is far cheaper, but no non-hammer and no M18 to make use of the other kit. 

It'll be Yellow for this purchase, all the boxes are ticked bar the price, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. 

Cheers for the reply. 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Ah, but there's the rub! I have flexvolt, but no M18. So if I buy the Milwaukee it'll sit idle for too long which the cells won't like. I have Dewalt, so might aswell buy the bare tool and use it when it's needed. It'll kick ass in hammer mode, but still provide non-hammer for diamond drilling. 

The Red offering is far cheaper, but no non-hammer and no M18 to make use of the other kit. 

It'll be Yellow for this purchase, all the boxes are ticked bar the price, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. 

Cheers for the reply. 

I priced it based on my situation where I don’t have any Flexvolt items yet but a bunch of Milwaukee.

13 minutes ago, justinkendall said:

I priced it based on my situation where I don’t have any Flexvolt items yet but a bunch of Milwaukee.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I have 12 and 28 Volt Milwaukee, but no 18 Volt. Might as well go Yellow for this one. If Milwaukee made an M28 sds max, I'd be all over it! 

Just finished watching a review by "Tool Craze" on the M18 sds max, it managed 42.5 holes, 3.5 inches deep in concrete on one 9.0 Amp 18 Volt battery. Now, it'd be interesting to see how many holes the flexvolt can do on its 3.0 battery! Hint hint! 

Still going Yellow on this purchase because it has "rotary only", Red doesn't. Three modes over two. 

9 hours ago, Tug said:

Just finished watching a review by "Tool Craze" on the M18 sds max, it managed 42.5 holes, 3.5 inches deep in concrete on one 9.0 Amp 18 Volt battery. Now, it'd be interesting to see how many holes the flexvolt can do on its 3.0 battery! Hint hint! 

Still going Yellow on this purchase because it has "rotary only", Red doesn't. Three modes over two. 

The dewalt will get more on a 9ah/3.1ah battery. High voltage more efficient and 20700 cells vs the Milwaukee 9.9 using 18650 cells 

3 hours ago, Makita_2233 said:

The dewalt will get more on a 9ah/3.1ah battery. High voltage more efficient and 20700 cells vs the Milwaukee 9.9 using 18650 cells 

In theory, but it would be interesting to see a side by side, head to head drill-off. 

I'd like to know the actual ratings of the motors, if the flexvolt really is 1050 Watts, then that's only pulling 20 Amps at 54 Volts. 

On 12/11/2017 at 7:59 PM, Tug said:

In theory, but it would be interesting to see a side by side, head to head drill-off. 

Hmm that sounds like a lot of work! I won't be able to get it uploaded until the weekend ;)