Ridgid Hybrid Fan

fm2176

As a brand new Ridgid cordless owner (around 20 hours as if this writing) and devoted DeWalt fan, I've got to say, I'm impressed!  For those who missed my post in the "What Tools Did You Buy Today" thread in the Power Tools subforum, I've spent the past three nights in my truck due to a training event.  Ah, the life of a Drill Sergeant...  With plenty of batteries, I've waited patiently for the DeWalt fan for months with plans to buy one ASAP.  Yesterday I left the training site resigned to settling with Ryobi.  Fort Benning nights are hot and humid, and I didn't want to run the truck all night nor did I wish to sweat through my clothing and pillow again.  Well, Ridgid had a promotion and some leftover BOGO battery packs, so here I am with two of the Ridgid fans powered by 4.0Ah batteries.  I can sum these up with one word:

AWESOME!

I used one for about 30 minutes yesterday to show off Drill Sergeant FM's latest cordless gadget.  After all, I'm the guy with the brightest lights (thanks to DeWalt, though Milwaukee and now Ridgid lighting may be in my future), an ability to repair almost anything, and who uses the most fun/least practical approach for certain things (a cordless grinder or reciprocating saw on a lock may take longer than bolt cutters, but put son a better show). I then proceeded to relax in my truck starting around 10pm, turning both fans on at about 1/4 to 1/3 speed.  The low setting seems all but useless.  Waking up a few times I checked the battery life, and they were still at 4 bars around 1am.  Now, seven hours later both are still rocking at 3 bars.  Not bad.

I haven't dealt with the LSA registration yet, have no idea how these will fare long-term, and have never owned any other Ridgid cordless device.  Based on first impression, though, wow!  Anyway, time to inventory weapons and equipment.

We're in the golden age of power tools right now, in my opinion. Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee, B&D, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, other more niche brands...heck, even Kobalt and the new HF power tools are all pretty damn good. Sure the chucks might not be as good as they used to be, and the build quality isn't as great but they're all a LOT more powerful, a LOT more capable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

We're in the golden age of power tools right now, in my opinion. Ryobi, Ridgid, Milwaukee, B&D, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, other more niche brands...heck, even Kobalt and the new HF power tools are all pretty damn good. Sure the chucks might not be as good as they used to be, and the build quality isn't as great but they're all a LOT more powerful, a LOT more capable.

I agree, though one can only wonder how tool companies will improve their tools in the future.  I started off using B&D/Dewalt UniVolt drills over twenty years ago, made do with a 14.4v B&D drill for ten years, and finally made the switch to Porter Cable 18v lithium tools in 2012, near the end of their marketing.  The PC tools are still going strong, but comparing those to my current DeWalt and Milwaukee tools make them feel archaic.  They have low capacity batteries, are larger and less ergonomic, and lack the power of tools found on shelves today.

Right now, tool buying is the closest thing to a hobby I have.  I don't get the chance to use the vast majority of my tools often, so when I purchase something like this fan--despite having to buy into yet another battery system--and find it exceeds expectations, I'm ecstatic.

My tool wants are dwindling rapidly.  I have almost everything I could rationally justify buying to maybe use one day.  My tool needs, on the other hand, are vastly different than most if not all others here.  Cordless power (still strongly considering the DeWalt power station), phone charging (USB hub), lighting, and comfort items like these fans help to make 12-24 hour days in often austere conditions a little more manageable.  The mainstays of cordless platforms like drills, drivers, and saws will not see much use until next year at the earliest.

As you stated, today's tools are all much more powerful and capable than their predecessors.  Even the least expensive 18v lithium drill bought today will run circles around professional quality cordless tools made ten years ago, in runtime if not in power.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Framer joe said:

It's only bested by the new Dewalt fan...it's been number one for years...Ryobi makes good stuff, ...sometimes it makes the only tool available on the market...

This is why Ryobi is on the short list of things to buy.  I now have DeWalt (got a lot of deals, but also went kind of overboard), Milwaukee (all clearance deals or special buys I couldn't pass up), and Ridgid (all special buys but everything is stuff I can't currently buy in Yellow).  Ryobi's glue gun and inflators are tempting, though.

• 1 month later...

i absolutely LOVE my ridgid 18v fan. when Hurricane Irma came through (im in florida, but we didn't get any damage other than some trees and power outages for about a week or so), it came in handy the entire time, really made sleeping with no power/air SO much more comfortable. i only had 1 at the time, and couldn't find another anywhere days before the storm. a month or so after, they started popping back up in stock, and i bought a 2nd one just to have. they really are great fans!!

• 1 year later...

... and the fact that the Ridgid and some of the other fans also run on 120vac adds to their value.  I keep some of my batteries at the manufacturers recommended 50% charge when I store them for a while and use the fan to discharge them down to that level when needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, jaf said:

... and the fact that the Ridgid and some of the other fans also run on 120vac adds to their value.  I keep some of my batteries at the manufacturers recommended 50% charge when I store them for a while and use the fan to discharge them down to that level when needed.

I've been using mine with 120v AC quite often; with all three mounted on the Ridgid tripod in my kitchen to help create more airflow.