New Makita LS1019 10" slide saw

Trident167

On 2017-11-03 at 6:01 PM, kornomaniac said:

I am. 

But only people with negative experiences call it out on Facebook/Instagram/forums. People who get a normal one don't make posts about it.  And people are not too rational about it.

There's already thousands of these saws sold. And while there have been a few with bend bars ( like the wood whisperers in Instagram ) that's a production error. That happens and that's what u have warranty for. But 9 out of 10 people complaining there saW is faulty haven't even tried to square it up. 

Because it's easier to make a fuss on social media that your tool is broken, then to take 30 minutes of your time to square the saw up.

I squared up both saws and both were square but didn’t work, it would cut square on the 90 but like I said when I lay it over and do a bevel cut it’s no good! So I got a LS1216 shipped to me today and guess what same deal!! I’m a finishing carpenter so this is rubbish I’m starting to wonder if the standard 60T makita blade is deflecting 

8F6E8306-AB30-4966-A3BB-8869BB41E35E.jpeg

4436926E-EB90-46CC-A77B-3724217C6418.jpeg

• 4 months later...

The saw we bought in january had zero play in the detentes. I never once used the lock down. One of the submorons on our job used the saw and kept cranking the lockdown so tight that he damaged the entire unit, however. Now the plate doesn't rotate freely.

I have an older 10 inch Makita and a DWS 780 and we used this saw. In 25 years I have never had to lock down a detente.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

resurrecting an old topic, but I'm in the market for a miter saw and was wondering if people are still having issues with the LS1019? It looks like the slide/blade parallel issues can be adjusted away and maybe the detent issue isn't really an issue, but it would be nice if these have been addressed by Makita in newer production runs? What about the X2 cordless version? Seems like there were fewer quality control issues, but how does it compare in performance? Are they essentially the same saw? The cordless could be nice since my shop is currently non-existent and I have to work in the driveway or my 100 year old, unwired, barn. I'm already heavily invested in Makita cordless so that isn't an issue.

On 12/20/2018 at 10:57 PM, Jjwillac said:

Anybody with an update on their experiences or thoughts about either of these saws?

I dont know about these ones with bigger blades, but my LS0815FL is perfectly square, and the detents have no play. I dont see any need for a bigger bladed saw with the long rails on this one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 11:32 PM, Jjwillac said:

Hi all,

resurrecting an old topic, but I'm in the market for a miter saw and was wondering if people are still having issues with the LS1019? It looks like the slide/blade parallel issues can be adjusted away and maybe the detent issue isn't really an issue, but it would be nice if these have been addressed by Makita in newer production runs? What about the X2 cordless version? Seems like there were fewer quality control issues, but how does it compare in performance? Are they essentially the same saw? The cordless could be nice since my shop is currently non-existent and I have to work in the driveway or my 100 year old, unwired, barn. I'm already heavily invested in Makita cordless so that isn't an issue.

I'd stay away from the makita saws and I'm heavily invested in their 18v platform but they've really missed the boat with these saws. The detent plates are made of some soft metal like aluminum so after a few days of changing angles the detent will get bigger and add more slop. Makita haven't done anything to fix this issue. The rail drift issue is frustrating and the saw I used I couldn't loosen the set screws on the rails to try and tweak it so the saw was left the way it was. The table rotates smoothly for a a while until it's so hard to move that you need to hold the saw down with one hand while turning with the other, the fix to that is to loosen a bolt right in the center of the table but too loose and the whole table wobbles. We've been using a Dewalt DWS780 for about 5 years now and it's still accurate with no slop in the detents, they use stainless steel for theirs. The 12" flexvolt would be just as good 

There are like 5 of these makitas on my site. Yes all had the rails misaligned but all where easy to adjust no problems with the set screws being too tight. More likely your detente plate is too far forward than worn out. Guess what, the dewalt plate is stainless but the pin that drops int it is..... you guessed Aluminium. 

I don't think something that requires tweaking, adjustment or calibration from the box should put you off your purchase. Unless you're paying an absolute premium, and I mean premium for an item then you shouldn't really worry or, unless the problem is bad like the dewalt chainsaw throwing the chain for many people due to a weak tensioning mechanism where there is no easy fix.

The other thing that gets to me are when people like Matthias Wandel beat up the flexvolt table saw for small things, expecting perfection from a cheap jobsite table saw. Note, jobsite. 0.5mm off isn't going to affect your framework, the timber will vary in size and shape naturally at times. Unless you're making picture frames, or extremely high end goods, I don't think you should worry too much about perfection to the thou'. Ave does the same, I like Ave, but he bagged the multitool when clearly he doesn't use one and know it can do what other tools can't with ease, it sands very quickly with the right pads and he says it won't do fuck all by the way it moves. Also it appears that he thought spring washers are there to make it harder to undo a bolt which confused me as I assumed that in his line of work you would know the purpose of a spring washer?

There are people who have been using tools he bags and says will break, fall apart etc for many years with no issues. It's best to get advice from real world users with a lot of things and not people who do tool reviews only, especially biased reviewers which there are many out there. Ultimately, you will be the best judge of tool for your application, reviews etc just help narrow down your decisions. 

Thanks all.  I ended up getting a xsl06 kit and the local dealer through in an extra 2pk 5.0 batteries (4 total, a Makita promotion), a 6.0 battery, and a 80t Makita micropolish blade all for about $30 more than the big box store was selling the kit alone.  To top it all off, my saw's rails were parallel with the blade out of the box, thought I did need to square the blade (as I'd expect to).

I mounted it to a Rigid mobile stand and it's a pretty sweet setup. Now I need to think up some projects to justify it to my wife...

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, glass said:

There are like 5 of these makitas on my site. Yes all had the rails misaligned but all where easy to adjust no problems with the set screws being too tight. More likely your detente plate is too far forward than worn out. Guess what, the dewalt plate is stainless but the pin that drops int it is..... you guessed Aluminium. 

20180312_074043.jpg

This saw is at least 6 months old. Gets everyday all day by a crew.  Absolutely no play in detected. You either got a lemon or someone used the saw very roughly.  I will say that in models past I find the Makita to be finish saws and the Dewalt saws are more rough and tumble. 

0C905620-24B2-49ED-8912-52FEB2148956.jpeg

581AB019-36A9-467B-BB2A-A33DF358E297.jpeg

56FED8B7-FEE1-429A-B0D6-CB6E10E1FB37.jpeg

E6B4FF44-B874-4CBB-933D-1DD709444C09.jpeg