Reno's Extreme

comp56

Thanks T75R...

well after a short break I got into gutting the seconds stage of this reno, this time the kitchen and ding nook, here are some real raw shots of the starting, other side is the dining nook as I put new windows in just prior to the snow and cold of winter set in. oh look the little one approves of the new view....

1.jpg

2.jpg

555.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have the kitchen gutted but I have to wait for some sub-flooring material to show up. So as it were my wife wanted hi-gloss cabinets and the line we picked didn't come with a single top drawer pull only a 18.5" wide 3 drawer pull. Wife wanted just a single. So I looked after that for her. I took door off and cut top off, I then turned bottom upside down and moved hinges. these are soft closing along with all the other cabinets so I picked up a set of soft closing rails for the pull.....the protective film will be removed when it is all in place and the handles with be added then as well....

20180131_103529.jpg

20180131_102039.jpg

20180131_175342.jpg

20180131_103702.jpg

• Like 2

little update, after removing old flooring which included hardwood, hard pine planking and a third layer of hard pine tongue and groove I found the joists, now these joists are approx 2.5" below grade so I cleaned tops of joists and added risers to allow sub-floor then cement board and then actual porcelain tile so height will be same as other rooms entering once installed. I didn't finish complete area yet but I was able to rough in plumping while flooring was out of the way

20180211_123045.jpg

20180211_170743.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

got beam in place, over ceiling, one side will be built out to match refrigerator other side will be hidden in wall and flush. now the ugly archway can be removed making space much bigger kinda hard to see the old archway it is just behind plywood......

well aside from a total mess, I have the complete sub-floor installed.... leveled, glued and screwed..... cement backer board will be placed over this before tile gets installed. 

had some header action today, got some new openings from the kitchen now 

got window No.13 of 15 brand new windows that have been installed, I may note not one was original size from the old windows. So it is dry fitted for today gonna pull old window out along with cutting the new opening probably tomorrow, I'm calling it a short picture window, as it is 22" tall by 77" long so it needed a yet another header.....

don't look pretty right now but had to mock it in place before drywall ....

KpPdDyo.jpg

MPs2kMe.jpg

4Z4CMOi.jpg

CJZ59wx.jpg

N6A4RH9.jpg

Xy5d9NC.jpg

• Like 2

little bit more custom work, wife wants microwave below counter, again the cabinet supplier didn't have a base to accommodate a microwave so I took a 18" base and made one fit. 

20180313_174529.jpg

a little more custom...
well there was or would have been dead space in wall and fridge, so I made a sliding spice rack among other things that might fit, there will be clear plexi-glass side added to each shelf as well...

the best part of this whole thing was the rack itself started out as bed rails I had no use for but it was good plywood....lol

20180317_124541.jpg

20180317_124556.jpg

20180316_142456.jpg

• Like 2

in the mean time, another custom item needed for the far side of kitchen/dining area, will need a small corner cabinet to house some electronics and wires ect ect not sure if I am going to add backing or just mount it directly to drywall. A Bamboo top will be added to match the rest of the counter tops in the kitchen when it gets installed. Again film will be removed and a matching pull like the rest of the cabinets will be added..
HxbLHjQ.jpg
JNjo7oE.jpg
Aojknm7.jpg
FWR0jXW.jpg
pAwzFJr.jpg

a touch more custom work for kitchen cabinets, plate rack for above window.....laying it out, sizing it up and putting a frame around it. this will be installed between 2 door cabinets and left open

QvqacpQ.jpg
LhLCAbv.jpg
2OE5rzq.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

more custom work for kitchen cabinets, this plate rack will be mounted above a really long 77" window. At each end will have a 15" x 15" cabinet with a door, and beside that a 15" x 30" cabinet. in order to do this I took a 30" x 30" double door cabinet and cut it up to make 2x 15" x 15" and 1x 15" x 30" by cutting one door in half.
5kXT3Aq.jpg
sKObtLm.jpg
KjF76zJ.jpg
lwynvfM.jpg
TuNCSqY.jpg

ok so all the boring fun taping and mudding is done, time to mock up the custom cabinets I pre built to see how they will all line up. It is imperative that they go on wall clean and square as I will be applying back splash all around and right to ceiling. everything looks like even spaces everywhere. drape them off and slap some paint on the ceiling....
Y2LBBwL.jpg

slowly starting to take shape, some paint and trim on one side of area, the bit more to do list is getting shorter and shorter.....
teOP048.jpg
QIerc5I.jpg
zse7yhE.jpg

• Like 3

line up range hood, install to wall. (I put extra stud supports prior to drywall in approx area.) screw to wall and remove. put screws back in wall, tile all around screws. This way when wall is grouted range hood installation will be easy peasy 
kdFHm1D.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, comp56 said:

line up range hood, install to wall. (I put extra stud supports prior to drywall in approx area.) screw to wall and remove. put screws back in wall, tile all around screws. This way when wall is grouted range hood installation will be easy peasy 
kdFHm1D.jpg

Brilliant !!!!

looks great

• Like 1

thanks guys, one man show here so slow but sure....

well the plan was to get the flooring installed, but wouldn't ya know it after I laid out 8 or 10 tiles down my wife says....hmm don't like it???  so back to the drawing board or actually the store to go pick out different tile......in the mean time I figured I make a jig to install the handles/pulls whatever you call them......not pretty but worked flawlessly. I made it to be left or right top or bottom. (Note to self clamp a backer board so holes don't get blown out....)

SvGgSzb.jpg

KnRXRhd.jpg