Pressure Washer Buyers Guide

Matthew Wiswell

This question goes out to all folks that own pressure washers or have a great deal of knowledge regarding pressure washers.  Thanks guys!

This is likely a dumb question with a quick response, but I figured I would ask before I drop the big bucks on a new tool.  I am currently looking into the possibility of purchasing a pressure washer in the near future and I am a little unsure about the GPM stat.  More specifically, I am worried about the output GPM of the pressure washer vs the supply at the silcock.  Does anyone know if this is something that I need to worry about?  Does any know if there is a certain cut mark that I need to pay attention too?  I only ask because I plan on purchasing more of a commercial pressure washer, rather than a residential pressure washer.   From what I've seen, the more expensive pressure washers have a higher PSI and GPM and I feel that this is something that I am interested it for my situation.  Can someone please lend me some advice on this matter?

Side note:  I plan to use this pressure washer at several different properties, many of which are 2 stories and one of which is on a well pump.

This question goes out to all folks that own pressure washers or have a great deal of knowledge regarding pressure washers.  Thanks guys!

This is likely a dumb question with a quick response, but I figured I would ask before I drop the big bucks on a new tool.  I am currently looking into the possibility of purchasing a pressure washer in the near future and I am a little unsure about the GPM stat.  More specifically, I am worried about the output GPM of the pressure washer vs the supply at the silcock.  Does anyone know if this is something that I need to worry about?  Does any know if there is a certain cut mark that I need to pay attention too?  I only ask because I plan on purchasing more of a commercial pressure washer, rather than a residential pressure washer.   From what I've seen, the more expensive pressure washers have a higher PSI and GPM and I feel that this is something that I am interested it for my situation.  Can someone please lend me some advice on this matter?

Side note:  I plan to use this pressure washer at several different properties, many of which are 2 stories and one of which is on a well pump.

I recently bought :http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Honda-GX390-4-200-PSI-4-GPM-Gas-Pressure-Washer-DXPW4240/203185026

I figured buy once cry once. Your never going to complain about something having too much power.. in the rare event you need less pressure for something delicate most include an adjustable pressure regulator on the pump.

Everywhere I've used it so far, the water was supplied via deep well and there were no issues.
Most modern deep well systems (1960's or newer) supply 7-12 gallons a minute. I think your over analyzing the situation.

What are you even trying to wash? And what is your definition of a commercial washer? Is there a specific one in mind ?
On a farm that a friend of mine owns they have a electric 220v unit with a diesel fired water heater, but it pulls so much water it has a 10 gal supply tank in addition to the 3/4 hose inlet. Not sure on the specs but I know it's at least 6k psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Thanks a lot for the reply. I really appreciate it. Like I said, my biggest concern was the draw from the different water source (residential houses) that I will be at. Being that my plumbing knowledge stops a soldering a few pipes here and there, I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. This was only amplified buy the fact that I have never purchased a pressure washer. I've only borrowed small electronic and lower grade gas washers.

As far as a pressure washers go, I am in the market for at least a 4 GPM. The dewalt that you purchased is actually on my list along with many others. There is just a lot to choose from with all kinds of different options so I am trying my best to get my homework in before the plunge.

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Matthew Wiswell said:

Thanks a lot for the reply. I really appreciate it. Like I said, my biggest concern was the draw from the different water source (residential houses) that I will be at. Being that my plumbing knowledge stops a soldering a few pipes here and there, I really wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. This was only amplified buy the fact that I have never purchased a pressure washer. I've only borrowed small electronic and lower grade gas washers.

As far as a pressure washers go, I am in the market for at least a 4 GPM. The dewalt that you purchased is actually on my list along with many others. There is just a lot to choose from with all kinds of different options so I am trying my best to get my homework in before the plunge.

Thanks again!

Biggest thing is get a unit with a quality known engine brand. Like a Honda, Brigs and Stratton, Kohler, etc.

I can tell you that I've had the Dewalt 3400 (made by Simpson) for the past couple years and it's been fantastic. It's rated at 2.5 gpm and has no issues. I researched this same thing back when I was shopping and IIRC, it wasn't worth worrying about unless you were going to be pulling over 4 gpm. There are variables, but on city water systems you needed not to worry about them until you started nearing more gpm than I would ever require.

I can't verify that to be fact, but that's what I recall reading.