Flexvolt Rear Handle 7-1/4" Circular Saw

jtkendall

On 17/08/2017 at 3:46 PM, dwain said:

yeah I know, I've just never though to myself "this 1500W side-winder doesn't have enough power" ;)

It's probably because I'm quite young, and the last 8-odd years that I've used power tools (apart from the odd drill), have been spoiled by more and more powerful tools.

Especially the1800w Makita mag sidewinders. IMO the best saws out there. I'd say the blade would buckle or you would get some horrendous kickback before you would mange to stall the saw. There is a reason that no one outside the US uses them and there is also a reason no one outside the US and the Banana republic of bananas still use the imperial system. Because they are outdated sort of like 120v, shots fired. FYI tongue is firmly in cheek

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The only sidewinder I don't refuse to use are the cordless blade left saws. I've used worm drives for 11 years and I can't stand to hold a blade right saw. I'll walk across a football field to go get my own before I'll make a cut. 

i agree,ive used blade right for over 20 years, then recently i started to use blade left, and i thought this makes so much more sense being right handed.we are residing a house and just a few days ago i needed to make a cut, and my buddy had his 18 volt blade right saw, i started to make the cut and said "what the hell is this bullshit", he had to finish the cut 

• Like 1

3.5lbs more, but to me this is a bonus, nothing cuts like a worm drive, the feel in hand is fantastic for rips, just something about it and I think weight is a component. Not fun to lug around but drop that sucker down and walk with it without fear of binding or kickback... and hopefully they've replicated that here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

So you think it will cut like a worm drive even though it's not "worm drive" 

Like I said the rep said something like 20% more power/cutting than the sidewinder, has to be something going on if they're using the same motor as rumored. 

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

3.5lbs more, but to me this is a bonus, nothing cuts like a worm drive, the feel in hand is fantastic for rips, just something about it and I think weight is a component. Not fun to lug around but drop that sucker down and walk with it without fear of binding or kickback... and hopefully they've replicated that here. 

i have the corded dewalt worm drive love the weight it actually aids in making straight cuts, like you said its a bonus

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

It's "direct drive" and supposedly has 33% more max output than the FlexVolt sidewinder...it should haul ass. 

That comparison video between the Skil worm, the Makita 18x2 rear handle, and this made me a believer, it was absolutely flying. I do feel like the extra weight of the Skil they might have used (mine is like 16lbs) may have increased the plate drag making it slower by default in comparison so maybe not as direct compared to the Makita but still impressive. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I believe it is the same motor and the RPM is the same, but they're claiming more power than last year's blade right Flexvolt, possibly through gearing via enhanced torque. I can't find the video I saw that on right now but if I do I'll post it. 

I saw more powerful motor at 5800 rpm 2400 max watts out. The blade right flex has 1600 max watts out. quote from toolaholic "Its not just a revamp of the FV sidewinder. This features a more powerful motor to rip through the toughest conditions."

• Like 2

Hell if there was an XR version of the 6 1/2 I'd be a happy guy.  I'm a right hander and hate using saws with the blade on the wrong side, I have a wrong sided saw that gets some use, but my two main saws are the brushed DeWalt and Skil worm.  Some day my old man is going to not be able to lift his Porter Cable 743 and that day it will be mine!

35 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I saw more powerful motor at 5800 rpm 2400 max watts out. The blade right flex has 1600 max watts out. quote from toolaholic "Its not just a revamp of the FV sidewinder. This features a more powerful motor to rip through the toughest conditions."

...I'm so hard right now.