2x20V lawn mower

Pouet

10 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

This look cool. I apologize for asking, as I am sure that someone else already has.... but why wouldn't they make this a 60v? I get that you can use the batteries, but in terms of optimal power wouldn't that be the way to go?

FB82

I think a lot of it had to do with re-usability.  I am not positive on this but I believe the system is identical to the the 40v one with just a different battery holder.  I believe the two batteries are in serial which makes it 40 volts instead of parallel which would keep it at 20v but give it more run time.  If they did go with a 60v it would have to be a different motor/internals.  The may still come up with one but this was the quickest way to market with two platforms pretty much at the same time.  

• Like 2

I just was over at HD's site and noticed they had user reviews up now that few more folks have them in their hands.  The overall feel there is that while the product is of decent quality most have had run time issues also where it does not meet their expectations.   

6 hours ago, Big Adam said:

Does anyone know of a US retailer selling the 2x20V mower as a bare unit?

I see the 40V version available bare but cannot see anywhere offering the ‘homeowner’ version on the same basis.

I haven’t read any info anywhere about that being an option. I’m fairly sure the press release said the 40v is kit or bare but 20v is solely kit. It’s too bad because I have no real use for 5.0s. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bremon said:

I haven’t read any info anywhere about that being an option. I’m fairly sure the press release said the 40v is kit or bare but 20v is solely kit. It’s too bad because I have no real use for 5.0s. 

UK resellers are selling it for £349 bare but at that price I may as well buy the kit in the US, keep/sell the 5’s and toss the 110V charger. 

(I travel to US pretty regularly and travel hand luggage only. My checked bag allowance on the return leg generally has a ‘Dewalt’ flavour)

7 hours ago, BigTuras said:

Might be a little heavy to check that mowe.

:)

Amazon says 74lb shipping weight. Minus 4lb for the batteries and charger puts me bang on my single item limit of 70lb. 

My only real concern is box strength and the mower being damaged in transit. 

• 2 weeks later...

just got my mower other than the runtime I love it! I am not sure how they got 1/4 acre runtime off the 5.0s I got like 3 minutes of runtime on smaller grass bag was full 3 times then I switched to my 9.0s to get it done got alot more done with them 

just got my mower other than the runtime I love it! I am not sure how they got 1/4 acre runtime off the 5.0s I got like 3 minutes of runtime on smaller grass bag was full 3 times then I switched to my 9.0s to get it done got alot more done with them 
So you feel it was worth the cost even though you had supply 2x 9.0ah and chargers to really get decent use from it?

Not to mention the very small bag and propensity to pinch the handle cable.

All while the EGO kit is same price for a better built mower that lasts 3-4x as long on the included 5.0ah battery and recharges in 35 min on the included rapid charger.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I do because I also have one other Dewalt FV tool and also use the FV batteries on the baby miter for excellent run time. If I did not have the FV tool and they were not usable in some of the higher demand devices then I would of probably gone Ego too.

I did notice the cable getting pinched  also.  I have not found a way to get it to always stay out of the way without just keeping an eye on it each time I fold the arm.

20 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

So you feel it was worth the cost even though you had supply 2x 9.0ah and chargers to really get decent use from it?

Not to mention the very small bag and propensity to pinch the handle cable.

All while the EGO kit is same price for a better built mower that lasts 3-4x as long on the included 5.0ah battery and recharges in 35 min on the included rapid charger.

if you have flexvolts and refuse to mix batterys like me it is a decent mower with the bigger batterys I hate mixing tools and batterys if you dont have flexvolts I think it would be such a stupid purchase for someone though have not noticed anything about the cable will have to go back out and look I have 4 9ah 2 6ah 4 5ah 9 4ah 5 2ah and 3 1.3ah batterys so its not an issue for me 

if you have flexvolts and refuse to mix batterys like me it is a decent mower with the bigger batterys I hate mixing tools and batterys if you dont have flexvolts I think it would be such a stupid purchase for someone though have not noticed anything about the cable will have to go back out and look I have 4 9ah 2 6ah 4 5ah 9 4ah 5 2ah and 3 1.3ah batterys so its not an issue for me 
I hear you on the extra batteries but what I'm getting at is for the price you can get a much much better mower with a better battery and charger. It would add one more charger to the wall but that's not a big deal in my mind when you have a much better product.

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

I’m unaware of any stations around me that don’t have at least 10% ethanol, and a cordless/electric mower has less maintenance, less noise, and no fumes. For my purposes basically all gas OPE is obsolete. 

There are websites that track ethanol free stations, price and octane. I go to a marina, which is everywhere in Puget Sound but may not be for you. Is electric the right option for you? Sure. But gas will always win in effectiveness. 

Ive tried plenty of electric trimmers, and there isn’t a single one that delivers a tenth the power of my Stihl 130R, and if you’re a homeowner, always buy the canned gas. Your mix machines run forever with no maintenance if you run premix. 

There are websites that track ethanol free stations, price and octane. I go to a marina, which is everywhere in Puget Sound but may not be for you. Is electric the right option for you? Sure. But gas will always win in effectiveness. 

Ive tried plenty of electric trimmers, and there isn’t a single one that delivers a tenth the power of my Stihl 130R, and if you’re a homeowner, always buy the canned gas. Your mix machines run forever with no maintenance if you run premix. 
Not a single unit that has a 1/10th the power eh? I doubt you have tried the EGO models, especially the power head model.

• Like 1

I am pretty impressed with the OPE that I own that run on batteries. Here is an interesting article from Husky about their products with battery power. As I’ve been following through with replacing my OPE, the only pre mixed tool I’ve got left is my Echo string trimmer. Given the opportunity I will replicate it with battery power. I have heard enough poor reviews of the Dewalt to be disenhearted about its run time but would still get it with the batteries I have but, I bought the Ego two summers ago (older one with a 5.0). I don’t like the plastic deck, it’s pretty heavy. But it’s solid, the run time on a 2.0 and a 5.0 gets my property done, the lights for dusk use are great and it is a quality built machine. I’m probably going to get the Flexvolt chainsaw or the Milwaukee next month. I have a Dewalt blower (Ego too....power house blower, the first gen one) and a hedge trimmer. Both Dewalt run a long time on Flexvolt 2/6 batteries (only ones I have in the Flexvolt range). I run a Makita x2 12” chainsaw....

And will still get the Dewalt or Flexvolt. No problems with the Makita as a matter of fact I took it over to my neighbors and cut a solid Maple tree limb that was about 10”diameter into 1-1/2’ lengths that had toppled in her driveway. I want a larger bar, the Makita is a beast that runs a long time.

In short....battery power. For a guy who lives in the deep woods who had a pretty decent sized lawn inside my wood palisade is a winner. I cannot speak to the string trimmer but the day my old Echo finally bites the dust (which I have beaten this thing with a stick...it runs and runs and runs and...) I’m going battery power. It gets the work done just fine.

• Like 2