DEWALT Radio

12ste083

2 minutes ago, 12ste083 said:

I'm looking to buy the DEWALT DCR025 or DEWALT DWST08810 ToughSystem and was looking for some insight as to which one is the better unit? 

Hello and welcome to the forums, first I do not own either of them but I have some insight, the Toughsystem is the better sounding of the 2, not that the 025 sounds bad, it too sounds great, just the Toughsystem is better, deep bass, full rich sound. The only real drawback of the Toughsystem is the largest battery that it can accept is 5.0ah, all larger batteries simple won't fit, while the 025 can fit them all.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

The DCR025 is the newest radio and supposedly it sounds really good. If it were any other DeWALT radio vs tough system I could see the tough system winning. It has a nice sound. I don't know if the improvements of the DCR025 from the previous model are enough to have a better sound than tough system. 

Tough System

Advantages- known to sound good and it is compatible with other tough system.

Disadvantages- no plugins for running your tools, media controls don't control playback on your phone, flexvolt batteries don't fit, no bottle opener, easy to lose power cord

DCR025

Advantages- fits all 20v and 60v batteries, has 2 plugins to run your tools, includes a bottle opener, can use media controls on radio to control music on your device.

Disadvantages- not compatible with tough system

DCR025. I think the comp video above is flawed because the tough system's slimmer frame will allow the bass to vibrate the glass easier than the thicker frame of the DCR025. That's not to say the tough system doesn't have more bass (it does) but it isn't as lacking as that video demonstrates IMHO.

I prefer the DCR025's size/layout over the TS, which is so large when set horizontally that it becomes a nuisance. The charger on the TS is extremely slow compared to the DCR and as said above, won't accommodate DeWalt's 6.0 batteries. The User Interface on the TS is also annoying and clunky compared to the setup on the DCR, and the DCR's cord is already integrated into the radio and far more rugged than the flimsy cord that comes on the TS. The DCR also comes with a larger storage space for your mobile device and 2 receptacle ports which the TS lacks.

The TS does sound great but its size and lack/execution of other features really work against it.

3 hours ago, aabee said:

DCR025. I think the comp video above is flawed because the tough system's slimmer frame will allow the bass to vibrate the glass easier than the thicker frame of the DCR025. That's not to say the tough system doesn't have more bass (it does) but it isn't as lacking as that video demonstrates IMHO.

I prefer the DCR025's size/layout over the TS, which is so large when set horizontally that it becomes a nuisance. The charger on the TS is extremely slow compared to the DCR and as said above, won't accommodate DeWalt's 6.0 batteries. The User Interface on the TS is also annoying and clunky compared to the setup on the DCR, and the DCR's cord is already integrated into the radio and far more rugged than the flimsy cord that comes on the TS. The DCR also comes with a larger storage space for your mobile device and 2 receptacle ports which the TS lacks.

The TS does sound great but its size and lack/execution of other features really work against it.

Sounds to me you don't need a stereo at all, you need a charger and a 3-way. Just saying. 

Superior sound > features for most that are actually buying a stereo in the first place. 

• Like 1

If we are not being , too, simplistic about it,then the DCR is a better overall ,Job Site ,entertainment apparatus.The fact that it , has ac outlets, 1000x better phone storage, 1000000x power cord...can charge flex volt batteries, usable,programmable  and is clearer ,but not as much thump........we use the DCR for work...I use the TS at home to crank it up.....Staind, Disturbed, System of the down, Linkin Park.....oh yaaaa! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Framer joe said:

If we are not being , too, simplistic about it,then the DCR is a better overall ,Job Site ,entertainment apparatus.The fact that it , has ac outlets, 1000x better phone storage, 1000000x power cord...can charge flex volt batteries, usable,programmable  and is clearer ,but not as much thump........we use the DCR for work...I use the TS at home to crank it up.....Staind, Disturbed, System of the down, Linkin Park.....oh yaaaa! 

I'm that guy at work who turns the radio down haha.

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sounds to me you don't need a stereo at all, you need a charger and a 3-way. Just saying. 

Superior sound > features for most that are actually buying a stereo in the first place. 

I addressed plenty of other factors in my post. To me the difference in bass is negligible considering the DCR does everything else better.

6 minutes ago, aabee said:

I addressed plenty of other factors in my post. To me the difference in bass is negligible considering the DCR does everything else better.

i wouldnt say negligible.  there is no bass in the dcr radio.  i was so dissappointed that i returned it, because i didnt really need another charger or 3 way. lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, framer said:

i wouldnt say negligible.  there is no bass in the dcr radio.  i was so dissappointed that i returned it, because i didnt really need another charger or 3 way. lol

I definitely wouldn't say there's "no bass" in the DCR. The Hitachi Bluetooth radio on the other hand...

One thing I forgot to mention is the reception on the DCR is better than the TS. 

15 hours ago, Jronman said:

why not just use your phone hook up a pair of noise canceling bluetooth headphones and call it good. No fights over what music to listen to and you get to pick the volume too. Another bonus you don't have to hear noisy power tools.

It will get you fired on most job sites. Can't hear people trying to yell at you. Can't hear machinery. 

Hearing protection is one thing, while using a loud tool,.. headphones or earbuds to listen to music is not allowed.....you must be able to hear the supervisor or a warning sound at all times....also no phones are allowed on site but mine..you can use your phone at lunch and after work ,because there is no morning break...

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

Hearing protection is one thing, while using a loud tool,.. headphones or earbuds to listen to music is not allowed.....you must be able to hear the supervisor or a warning sound at all times....also no phones are allowed on site but mine..you can use your phone at lunch and after work ,because there is no morning break...

I am the type to have music at a low volume and my hearing is in general good so I hear everything others say just fine but I can understand why some crews don't allow them. I don't mind working without music either. I figure if all I'm doing is painting or staining by myself, it's not a big deal. If I am working with others or doing building or demo I wouldn't use them. A guy I went to school with said where he works doesn't even use radios.