DCF894HB (B) MID-RANGE CORDLESS IMPACT WRENCH

wwaayne

On 12/23/2017 at 1:39 AM, Stercorarius said:

And you're sure you put it on right? I've heard the same thing about the other boot for the bigger one, yet it still works. Legitimately curious because if it doesn't I'm not going to bother buying the DeWalt.

The boot fits just fine. Mac also makes the boots now for the mcf886&mcf891. This is the same housing as the DeWALT dcf887. Not on the Mac website yet, but costumer service e-mailed me the part number and I ordered two. If interested let me know and I'll get you the part number. IMG_20180222_190904.thumb.jpg.a925ccfb93a9629badcd03244044e0f4.jpgIMG_20180222_190938.thumb.jpg.932db1bf70c8385ab45c5d74d4fe5c92.jpgIMG_20180222_191001.thumb.jpg.7021c6a39752a2eb6e17b7b539cd9911.jpgIMG_20180222_190904.thumb.jpg.a925ccfb93a9629badcd03244044e0f4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I'm not a boot guy and I'm sure it works but how hard could it be for dewalt to make a boot that had the vent holes in the right place.

Right? The high torque has them in the right place, but it's odd that Milwaukee has boots for everything, but DeWalt doesn't.

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked one of these up yesterday and the first thing I noticed when I picked it up was something about the grip seemed big.  Now I've used a number of dewalt 20v over the years and I've always thought they were a pretty comfortable grip.  So today at work I started comparing it to some of my other tools.  Compared to a dcf887 and m18 mid torque from the front of the trigger to the back of the grip is a 1/4" longer on the dcf894.  It's not like the trigger is a 1/4" forward but more like the back of the grip doesn't taper in as much.  The grips on the dcf894 and the dcf899 high torque are the same dimensions,  but for some reason on the high torque I don't notice the grip as much.  I assume its just because the high torque tool is so big anyhow that its always going to be a little uncomfortable.  This is just my first impression of the tool I haven't had a chance to really use it but from a grip comfort stand point I think dewalt missed the mark a little.

• 10 months later...

I bought a DCF894 in November, 2018, and wanted to get a protective boot for it.  Well, DeWalt doesn't offer them.  As you may know, however, MAC sells a version of the DCF899, and they offer one  for it.  So I got on MAC's website and looked around, but they don't sell a version of the 894 (yet), so I looked for the next closest model.  That seemed to be the WPB138; that is offered both as a 3/8-drive and a 1/2-drive (as the WPB150).  The boot for that is the PBBWP138B (for black), which is what is used in the photos.  The poster that tried it claims it's a good fit; I'd disagree with that, now that I've seen it.  When you receive it, it's kinda small, and the material is thick.  You can heat it and stretch it to fit, but it looks like he heated it and stretched it a bit too much trying to make it fit.  DeWalt Customer Service knows nothing if you call them about it, and MAC was about as much help.  I took a chance, hoping that one that fit the BWP150 would fit the DCF894 (because it looks like a 3/8-drive body with a 1/2" drive anvil).  I don't think it does, so I'm going to return it.  It may be that the boot that fits the DCF899 would fit better, but I think it would be loose (too long and bigger around), so I think it's a lost cause.   It might help if everyone who has an 894 impact call or write to DeWalt and complain about the lack of a protective boot, and that they want one.  You could also call or write MAC and ask if they'll offer a version of the 894 anytime soon.  Boots from MAC go for $19.99; they would likely be cheaper through DeWalt, and would be an exact fit.  DeWalt seems to be oblivious to the potential market for protective boots.  

• Like 1

I don't see the point of a protective boot? There isn't much to protect, or should I say, there isn't much that can be easily damaged on these or on the majority of power tools today. Even the cheapest of tools will survive knocks, bumps and falls. The tools are almost worthless after a few years regardless of their condition but each to their own. I like the used look of most tools though 👍

For those that want boots and complaining that Dewalt doesn't make them. If there's a market for it - that's a good business idea right there. So get on it.

I don't however think there's enough folks wanting boots over their tools and / or batteries, surely Dewalt would make those if the demand was this high.

@The.Handyman do you own a DCF887 by any chance, and if yes, could you post a few side by side pics of 887 and 894?

I own a lot of dewalt tools including 887 (on which I replaced a 1/4" quick connect with a 3/8" anvil) and 899. I almost always use 887 as it's got enough torque for almost everything I do and it's fast and light. It won't remove a few bolts here and there and for that I used 899 but due to the weight of this tool, I started using a breaker bar and just spin nuts/bolts off with 887 afterwards.

Looking to add a 894 to my collection and hoping it's got enough torque for all my needs, as well as hoping it's not too heavy or large. From my little research I've done, it looks like 894 is right in the middle between the 887 and 899, weight, size and torque wise. Would be nice to see how they compare. Or better yet, how the all 3 of them compare side by side.

Yea the dcf894 is exactly what it's advertised as being and falls right in the middle of a high torque and compact.  Its still enough bigger than the compact where I would say you'll still use the compact where you can but it is nice to have another option before you pull out a high torque.  

1081396851_2019-01-2721_34_25.thumb.jpg.8ef7e3e6051114436275320d5534d87b.jpg

This was just a picture I had, the compact is a dcf880 but I could get you some better comparison pictures with a dcf887 if you wanted.  

• Like 1