Hitachi multivolt

kornomaniac

Found something new online. Hitachi Presented a multi voltage battery in Japan much like the flexvolt.

Can be either a 18v/5amp battery or a 36v/2.5 amps.

A new impact driver and circular to benefit from the multivolt batteries in 36v modus.

Seems they are completly compatible with everything.

http://www.homemaking.jp/product_info.php?products_id=167033&osCsid=1a7f521fc2fbc6e167da0136d206cb05

• Like 6

Wish milwaukee would do something similar. They say they are waiting for new cells for their 18v batteries but doesn't that mean that whenever these new cells are abailable that someone like dewalt could also put these news cells in their flexvolt batteries and still keep the advantage?

1 hour ago, AnonymousJoe said:

Wish milwaukee would do something similar. They say they are waiting for new cells for their 18v batteries but doesn't that mean that whenever these new cells are abailable that someone like dewalt could also put these news cells in their flexvolt batteries and still keep the advantage?

DeWalt already has newer cells.20700. 

If rumours are true Makita and Milwaukee are waiting on 21700 cells.

9 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

DeWalt already has newer cells.20700. 

If rumours are true Makita and Milwaukee are waiting on 21700 cells.

21700 would make flex even bigger than the 9.0 which would seem like a bad idea considering it is already big enough. I think DeWALT should wait for solid state battery tech. If Makita is going 21700 then x2 may start outperforming Flexvolt. They are already pretty close in performance.

3 hours ago, aabee said:

Love that they FINALLY decided to have a friggin' battery gauge on their batteries. Is this going to come to the US, though? Hitachi still has a LOT of higher-end brushless tools that have yet to become available in NA. 

Most Makita tools have a gauge on the tool. Guess you have 2 ways to check battery life now.

33 minutes ago, Jronman said:

21700 would make flex even bigger than the 9.0 which would seem like a bad idea considering it is already big enough. I think DeWALT should wait for solid state battery tech. If Makita is going 21700 then x2 may start outperforming Flexvolt. They are already pretty close in performance.

Only by like 5mm at most

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Jronman said:

Most Makita tools have a gauge on the tool. Guess you have 2 ways to check battery life now.

Hitachi's premium brushless tools have a two-bar gauge. Better than nothing but still not as helpful as a 3 or 4.

8 hours ago, Jronman said:

would a readout of the battery percentage be possible?

Easily done, but far too expensive. Then there's the issue of durability, most people I know are quite heavy handed with their kit, I can't see screens on batteries lasting long. 

On 8/29/2017 at 1:52 AM, Tug said:

Easily done, but far too expensive. Then there's the issue of durability, most people I know are quite heavy handed with their kit, I can't see screens on batteries lasting long. 

could it just be made out of the same material as the fuel gauges are made of? That soft plastic stuff? Maybe it would have space for 3 digits like what you would see on a digital clock.

7 hours ago, Jronman said:

could it just be made out of the same material as the fuel gauges are made of? That soft plastic stuff? Maybe it would have space for 3 digits like what you would see on a digital clock.

I guess that's possible, but they're always going with the cheaper option. I think you'd need at least one manufacturer to start including that and then hopefully others would follow suit. 

• Like 1

I'm really excited for this as I believe Hitachi's as good an overall power tool manufacturer as anyone when you include their pneumatic tools and miter/table saws into their cordless mix (the Triple Hammer is the best cordless tool out there IMHO). This is like a hybrid of Makita's X2 and DeWalt's FlexVolt and will hopefully result in some fantastic new stuff from Team Green!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 8:31 AM, kornomaniac said:

Found something new online. Hitachi Presented a multi voltage battery in Japan much like the flexvolt.

Can be either a 18v/5amp battery or a 36v/2.5 amps.

A new impact driver and circular to benefit from the multivolt batteries in 36v modus.

Seems they are completly compatible with everything.

http://www.homemaking.jp/product_info.php?products_id=167033&osCsid=1a7f521fc2fbc6e167da0136d206cb05

The new tools include:

An impact driver that has 10%+ driving speed and longer run time compared to the the 18v Triple Hammer impact(with 6ah battery)

A 6.5" circular saw with twice the cutting speed of their 18v brushless circular saw.

4" and 5" variable speed grinders with nearly twice the power of their 18v brushless grinders.

A 6.5" sliding mitre saw.

More about the first multivolt tools here:

http://www.hitachi-koki.co.jp/powertools/pro/multivolt/

https://www.youtube.com/user/HitachiKokiChannel/videos

• Like 1

On 8/26/2017 at 4:21 PM, Tug said:

Surely you can only patent the name and not the tech? 

Likely patented the way of disengaging the 60v connection or the way of mechanically switching between voltages. I think they'd issue those patents but you'd likely not be able to patent differential voltage in a battery...but I've heard of more asinine patents getting through. It also is probably limited to the power tool category, so if there is a different industry that could benefit from the tech it should be free game.