kornomaniac

Hitachi multivolt

I'm looking forward to Multivolt being released, in particular the recip saw, circ saw and blower. Having only a single 10 cell battery for 36V sounds very appealing (personally I thinks it's the best implementation of them all). We'll find out soon though. Runtime will likely be lower than the others (having only 10 cells VS 15 with Flexvolt/M18, and 20 with Makita X2), but at least the size and weight of the tools won't be too much more. Hitachi has the fastest charge times and the cheapest batteries anyway.

I just hope the prices are reasonable. They're the most expensive of all the major brands in Australia. Sometimes significantly more.

Edit: Hitachi actually have the most expensive chargers in Australia. Batteries are about the second most expensive. Dammit Hitachi.

Edited by D W
Not cheap batteries here

I'd have to disagree with you there D W.

Hitachi 6Ah batteries have consistently been priced in the AU$130-145 region, whereas the standard across other professional brands is $170.

Their super fast charger is expensive, but you'll get it in a kit anyway.  In terms of kits, I'd sat their prices are about average ....

• Like 1

@dwain you're right.

I use ebay a lot and sometimes they're prices are far better or far worse. I saw 6ah Makitas for only $119 a few weeks ago.

I just looked at Sydney tools and the Hitachi 6ah is only $145, 5ah $99, and the 3ah compact only $69. There's also a triple impact/charger/2x6ah combo for only $399 (vs Makita TD170 for $569) So they're very good prices for Hitachi. 

A Makita and Dewalt 5ah is only $89, and a 3ah Hitachi is over $100 on ebay. 

ah tricked by ebay. yeah places like Sydney / Total Tools are good ways of checking.

• Like 1

Hitachi prices in Canada are pretty poor from what I’ve seen so I can’t see this system taking off here without significant promotion by Hitachi. Even the batteries that are a good deal in the states are priced high here like every other brand. 

@dwain I just re-watched your OZTT reviews on the impact driver and impact wrench and you mentioned they were not cheap at $700 AUD for a kit (1xtool, 1xcharger, 2x6ah). That's quite high. 

So currently the triple hammer impact kit is $301 less (43% cheaper, now only $399, not $700). That's a big discount and very appealing! Maybe they're clearing them out before the Hikoki change or multivolt release. 

• Like 1

Yeah the IP56 tools were pricey on release.

• Like 1