Hitachi multivolt

kornomaniac

I'm looking forward to Multivolt being released, in particular the recip saw, circ saw and blower. Having only a single 10 cell battery for 36V sounds very appealing (personally I thinks it's the best implementation of them all). We'll find out soon though. Runtime will likely be lower than the others (having only 10 cells VS 15 with Flexvolt/M18, and 20 with Makita X2), but at least the size and weight of the tools won't be too much more. Hitachi has the fastest charge times and the cheapest batteries anyway.

I just hope the prices are reasonable. They're the most expensive of all the major brands in Australia. Sometimes significantly more.

Edit: Hitachi actually have the most expensive chargers in Australia. Batteries are about the second most expensive. Dammit Hitachi.

Edited by D W
Not cheap batteries here

I'd have to disagree with you there D W.

Hitachi 6Ah batteries have consistently been priced in the AU$130-145 region, whereas the standard across other professional brands is $170.

Their super fast charger is expensive, but you'll get it in a kit anyway.  In terms of kits, I'd sat their prices are about average ....

• Like 1

@dwain you're right.

I use ebay a lot and sometimes they're prices are far better or far worse. I saw 6ah Makitas for only $119 a few weeks ago.

I just looked at Sydney tools and the Hitachi 6ah is only $145, 5ah $99, and the 3ah compact only $69. There's also a triple impact/charger/2x6ah combo for only $399 (vs Makita TD170 for $569) So they're very good prices for Hitachi. 

A Makita and Dewalt 5ah is only $89, and a 3ah Hitachi is over $100 on ebay. 

Hitachi prices in Canada are pretty poor from what I’ve seen so I can’t see this system taking off here without significant promotion by Hitachi. Even the batteries that are a good deal in the states are priced high here like every other brand. 

@dwain I just re-watched your OZTT reviews on the impact driver and impact wrench and you mentioned they were not cheap at $700 AUD for a kit (1xtool, 1xcharger, 2x6ah). That's quite high. 

So currently the triple hammer impact kit is $301 less (43% cheaper, now only $399, not $700). That's a big discount and very appealing! Maybe they're clearing them out before the Hikoki change or multivolt release. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yea they have some tools that catch my attention with their ip56 ratings.  But I don't get their marketing strategy, I mean they won't even put their triple hammer impact driver and hammerdrill together as a package in the US.  I also can't find a decent 4 or 5 tool combo kit which if you're going to get someone into your tool line I think a combo kit is a good start.

Just read on IG that multivolt will be getting a 10” table saw and an AC adapter for all multivolt tools. If that’s true that makes me absolutely furious with Dewalt. 
If you read Kruger's post carefully, he states it's rumored to include those things. I'll wait to see what is actually released.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How does this not scream “Makita” to everyone? Even the strap, which no other company uses, is in the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The strap is a common feature in tools from Japan and that area of the world. This is in no way a copy of Makita.

2 hours ago, The.Handyman said:

If you read Kruger's post carefully, he states it's rumored to include those things. I'll wait to see what is actually released.

Thanks! We’ll see if OSHA can’t squash any hopes of a 10” table saw yet lol. 

• Like 1

I didn't say it was a copy, it sure as hell looks like Makita made it though!

The strap is a common feature in tools from Japan and that area of the world. This is in no way a copy of Makita.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if they are actually coming out with a 36V multivolt reciprocating saw? I've read it on Toolguyd and Pro tool reviews but haven't seen a single promo image/video of it. PTR says it's supposed to have orbital action. 

My full size Metabo 18V reciprocating saw died recently so I need a new one ASAP. If I can't be confident of a multivolt within the first release of tools I'll just get the current 18V brushless (CR18DBL). I can't wait too long unfortunately. Makita is also an option but I've hated the angle of the grip when trying it in store. 

• 3 weeks later...

And here it is, the multivolt reciprocating saw. Damn, I just bought the 18V version 😕

See the video below for a comparison. The 36V is a monster. It looks a lot more powerful than the 18V and it rips through wood. Although bigger and heavier for sure. Perhaps there's enough difference to justify getting both 😉

4.5kg with a 32mm stroke at 3,000spm. That's the same stroke length and spm as the Milwaukee super sawzall but a whole kg lighter (5.5kg for Milwaukee). It's also 89mm shorter (457mm vs 546mm).

This could be the new king of recip saws. I don't think I've seen a recip saw cut wood faster than in that video.

https://www.hitachi-koki.co.jp/powertools/pro/cutter/cr36da/cr36da.html

https://www.hikoki-powertools.co.uk/products/cr36da

900--65-CR36DA.png

cr36da_xp.jpg

o1653233814238863066.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So multivolt has started appearing around the world. Anyone purchased anything? 

I'll be ordering a battery this week.

Interesting to see they have two battery sizes (both ah and physical):

-18650 cell 5.0ah/2.5ah

-21700 cell 8.0ah/4.0ah

79012_3_big.jpg

Edited by D W
added photo