Hitachi multivolt

kornomaniac

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, method said:

Anyone got feedback on any of these? I've always thought it's a good idea for high demand tools.

I've ordered the reciprocating saw and 185mm circular saw. They should be arriving next week. 

On paper the Multivolt tools look outstanding. I'm looking forward to seeing them compared with Makita X2 and Flexvolt. 

12 hours ago, method said:

Anyone got feedback on any of these? I've always thought it's a good idea for high demand tools.

I got the 36v impact on clearance (the box and tool had some minor cosmetic damage) and love it.  I just got the Mil. Gen 3 fuel impact a few days before, but returned it because  I like the hitatchi better.  Way better ergonomics, more runtime, quieter and smoother.  The regular multivolt prices are very high though.  I'm looking to add a super sawzall, but Im thinking about waiting to see if the multivolt prices come down.  I have the regular fuel sawzall now, but even with two 9.0's and their "rapid" charger I cant keep them charged when doing heavy demo work, so the cord option is very appealing with the multi volt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcl10 said:

The regular multivolt prices are very high though

I totally agree with this.

I only ended up buying a couple of MV tools because they each came with a free Multivolt battery (during the boxing day sales here in Australia). Otherwise way too expensive. The MV reciprocating saw is $399 AUD and the circular saw is $385 AUD (tools only). Chuck in a free battery worth $179 AUD and it becomes great value though! 

Unless they take off I doubt we will see good value here in Australia. Kind of like Metabo, festool etc always excluded from sales at Total tools/Sydney tools. I like the look of the Hikoki tools though they look to be built quite well. Reviews of the recip saw make it look to cut super fast!

• Like 1

The reciprocating saw has arrived. I haven't used it yet but it feels very smooth and very powerful! The vibration control seems to be doing a great job, just holding it in hand shows it has MUCH less vibration than the 18V version. The 18V is supposed to be a low vibration saw, but I have doubts it actually is compared to most. My previous 18V brushed Metabo had less. 

The 36V is also noticeably heavier and louder than the 18V but not much bigger overall. The trigger is very smooth easy to pull (like all the Hitachi triggers I've used). 

The LED can be toggled to remain on at all times. 

IMG20190110132848.jpg

IMG20190110132807.jpg.fcac889c2a0d484beb8c89233973843f.jpg

• Like 2

Multivolt 7 1/4 inch circular saw. Very smooth running and high quality. I've never owned a cordless circular saw so I can't comment on much else. Specs say the cut depth is 62mm. It feels sturdy and the silent mode is a lot less noise. The motor seems compact compared to others.

A Multivolt version of the 165mm 18V deep cut saw is out there apparently (NZ), and that saw does 66mm cut depth.

IMG20190113155234.jpg

IMG20190113155246.jpg

PTR have a review of the circular saw:

https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/carpentry/metabo-hpt-multivolt-circular-saw/43019/

The final score was let down by the value (too expensive). $359 USD is insane pricing! It's $389 AUD here in Australia, plus they had a recent offer with a free MV battery, so we Aussies are actually getting something cheaper than in the US. 

They also mentioned it's 3lbs lighter than the M18 Fuel. 

Pros

• Excellent build quality
  • Automatic speed control mode conserves battery life and runs quieter in niche applications
  • Outperforms our corded worm drive
  • Lightest among the Cordless Supersaws
  • AC or DC power without switching saws

Cons

• Secondary handle is too small
  • Very expensive at $359 bare
  • No kit options currently available
  • Like 1

Also looks pretty compact. The price automatically means this tool isn’t going to be one of the ones that wins over many buyers looking at other platforms, but in terms of size (including the smaller form-factor of running just a single 10-cell battery) I wonder if it’s actually more fair to compare it to competitor’s 18V brushless units. Still...that price...

I’m thinking we’ll see a price drop in the next 6 months, pricing is just too high, even the drill as great as it $350 for a drill and no battery? I could buy 3 Dewalt 996s for that price and get similar performance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, method said:

I am keen to see the quality of these

Quality is really, really good on the recip saw and circular saw. They feel solid and well made, especially the recip saw. Both very smooth running. I'm especially keen to get the slide switch grinder when it's available here. 

But, there's something I don't like about the brushless motors from Hitachi/Hikoki; for whatever reason, they are the loudest motors I've used. This includes their 18V and new Multivolt (they all sound very similar). They all seem to have a deep tone that sounds like it's resonating exactly at some harmonic to be so loud. The worst is the 18V DS18DBFL2 compact drill. That thing is loud!

• 4 weeks later...