Advice needed, DeWalt vs Milwaukee SDS plus

pcsparx

Hi People,

First things first, I'm and electrician Based in NZ and all my current power tools are DeWalt XR (pretty much the same as 20V Max).

I'm in the market for an SDS plus Rotary hammer, and need some advice on which to go for.

i'm looking at either the DeWalt Flexvolt SDS plus kit with 2 x 9.0ah batteries and a charger for $1200.00 NZD, or a Milwaukee M18 Fuel CHPX with 2 x 5.0ah batteries and a charger for $980.00 NZD.

i'm constantly drilling 25mm (1") holes so the smaller DeWalt 18V SDS plus just won't do, therefore either way i'm going to need to buy into another battery platform.

in the future I will also be in the market for a recip saw, grinder and right angled drill (Milwaukee hole hawg or Dewalt Stud and Joist drill) so when choosing a new platform would need to consider this also.

I can't find any comparisons online for the two rotary hammers so what do you guys think would be the best choice?   

DCH333.png

Milwaukee CHPX.jpg

• Like 1

For quality of machine I'd have to give it to Milwaukee. I have an M28 sds and it's a great machine, a little too powerful to be honest. Its impact energy of 4.1 joules leads to snapped chisel tips on a regular basis, I've broken three before lunch on occasion! 

I also have the DeWalt 323 sds, this is 54 Volts, but only 2.8 joules of impact energy. Does a great job and I do like it, but my chisel and drill bits are starting to wobble in the chuck which suggests poor quality steel in the drill, but I'm no expert. Only had that for approximately four months. There are two others in the 54 Volt line-up, the 333 and 343, both have 3.5 joules of impact energy. 

If I think of anything else I'll pop back. 

Hope this helps. 

According the to the specs the Milwaukee will hit more often and faster when drilling. 

I now remember how expensive power tools were in NZ 

MILWAUKEE

Battery type - Li-ion
Voltage - 18v
Impact Energy - 4.3J
Max. percussion rate - 0 - 5000bpm

DEWALT Specifications:

• Voltage: 54V
  • No Load Speed: 0-1000rpm
  • Impact energy (EPTA 05/2009): 3.5J
  • Blows per Minute: 0-4480bpm

In NZ I don't think they stock Milwaukee M28 unless you go thru a parallel imported supplier = warranty void

and from what I can see the difference between the DeWalt DCH333 and the DCH334 is the DCH334 has a quick change chuck for holding non SDS plus drill bit which could be handy, anyone had any experience with the quick change chuck system or would it be better to go with the non quick change chuck?

I can't imagine the Flexvolt not blowing the Milwaukee out of the water for drilling (based on experience with the Milwaukee you are looking at and the SDS-Max FV).

I guess Tug's experience doesn't like up with that?

Specs don't tell the whole story remember.

Wasn't suggesting you get an M28, looks like they're dropping that range anyway. However, the M18 sds offers the same impact energy as far as my research goes. So far my gut is saying the Milwaukee offerings are definitely better quality. The 9 Amp packs are definitely a bonus too. 

I've recently managed to get a Bosch 36 Volt, but not had the chance to really use it yet. 

4 hours ago, dwain said:

i really want Makita to get us a pre-release of that SDS-Max unit!!

Are they also releasing an update to the SDS-Plus 18x2 model?

Yeah that's the first black and white picture. Brushless version with added option of a vacuum unit ( like the single 18v has ). Belgium had a pre production unit and the rep didn't come to our store with it. The asshole :D

• Like 1

Well, I think I like the Makita options better than both of them. I guess the question to me... is what platform do you have now? I don't think one is substantially better than the other, so I don't think it would be worth the investment to switch platforms, if that makes sense?

I received the brushed 36V Makita from a promotion a while back. Only used it once to break up a 4 inch slab to access some plumbing (fun as heck, btw). The point is, I don't even need or use rotary hammers... but man, that new one pictured by korno looks choice... I just have this urge to grab it and wreck something, lol

9 hours ago, bee-man said:

I received the brushed 36V Makita from a promotion a while back. Only used it once to break up a 4 inch slab to access some plumbing (fun as heck, btw). The point is, I don't even need or use rotary hammers... but man, that new one pictured by korno looks choice... I just have this urge to grab it and wreck something, lol

Hulk bee man ?? :P