DYIer looking for a good tool platform.

Wesley S.

I am in the process of updating my cordless tools platform. I have checked out Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid and Kobalt. I am looking to use them around the house and various outdoor projects(deck). I am looking for something reliable and that will have no problems going through matieral.

Honestly, like everyone else said, they're all good. Milwaukee, Makita and Dewalt are all pricey but top notch quality and durability. Kobalt has a small lineup that they are growing but the new 24v tools should be pretty decent quality. For a home gamer, Ryobi and Black and Decker is plenty, anything better are more expensive and more powerful luxuries (nothing wrong with that). 

I lean towards Milwaukee, m12 and m18 lines are massive and the dual charger makes it easy to be in both lineups. Milwaukee trumps in lighting and plumbing tools and they have great tools in other categories that can compete with or beat everyone else's tools. They do lack in jigsaws (those two need updates) or routers...but Makita and Dewalt aren't much better in those categories, those categories are dominated by Bosch, another great brand but limited line.

Makita has a pretty good thing in the X2 tools and I feel they have the best build quality out of Milwaukee, Dewalt and Makita.

Ridgid has done a good job of mixing up the brushless normal tools and bringing something different to the table like the battery powered compressor. It's owned by TTI so the Milwaukee lighting is trickling down to Ridgid. Ridgid has some good wood working tools though I believe their jigsaws are in the same camp as Milwaukee. Lifetime warranty on tool and battery if bought through HD and registered online...hard to beat that.

Dewalt is a great brand and they have extremely solid tool lineup. Just don't buy into anything other than 20v or flexvolt because you're wasting your money on a lineup they won't keep developing.

• Like 1

Dwain just because your south of the equator doesn't have to make you evil!! For the non Pro Ryobi has the biggest lineup of tools and the newer releases have stepped up the quality and performance. The other thing is Ryobi has some of the best deals on batteries. Home depot did 2 packs of 4.0ah's batteries for years over different tool holidays.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Ridgid has done a good job of mixing up the brushless normal tools and bringing something different to the table like the battery powered compressor. It's owned by TTI so the Milwaukee lighting is trickling down to Ridgid. Ridgid has some good wood working tools though I believe their jigsaws are in the same camp as Milwaukee. Lifetime warranty on tool and battery if bought through HD and registered online...hard to beat that.

TTI don't own Ridgid. Emerson own Ridgid along with the Ridgid pumbing comapny,  but have a licensing agreement with TTI to manufacture power tools under the Ridgid name.  These same tools are known as AEG outside of the US which TTI do own. 

• Like 1

Personally I love the Kobalt 24v brushless, batteries are dirt cheap, 5 year warranties on tools, 3 year warranties on batteries, 1 year hassle-free money back guarantee. I think their impact driver is as good as anyone's with the 3-speed+finish mode. The kits go on sale frequently and they're solidly built.

5 hours ago, kiwi_in_oz said:

TTI don't own Ridgid. Emerson own Ridgid along with the Ridgid pumbing comapny,  but have a licensing agreement with TTI to manufacture power tools under the Ridgid name.  These same tools are known as AEG outside of the US which TTI do own. 

I know that but it was just easier to type(it was late) and I forgot it was Emerson who owned them, was drawing a blank. Still the same info but thanks for clarifying, not sure if that helps the OP but better to have more info than less.

@Wesley S. if you are interested in a pro brand I got some extra new in box tools that I've been trying to sell and if you are interested I would give ya a deal on them. It is a DeWALT DCD996B (bare tool hammerdrill/driver), DCF887B (bare tool impact driver), and DCS575T2 (flexvolt circular saw 2 battery kit) I got a listing in the for sale section of the forum if you are interested

My .02 is the same as always.
Go Ridgid. It's rebranded AEG and often it is identical to some of the Milwaukee tools. Milwaukee has quite a few AEG tools in their line up that are rebadged/recoloured etc.
The warranty is more than you will ever need as a homeowner, provided you register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

My .02 is the same as always.
Go Ridgid. It's rebranded AEG and often it is identical to some of the Milwaukee tools. Milwaukee has quite a few AEG tools in their line up that are rebadged/recoloured etc.
The warranty is more than you will ever need as a homeowner, provided you register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The LSA on the batteries is nice. The Ridgid line is bigger now, but tools they add seem to have short runs sometimes if they are not popular. Also I wouldn't expect any yard tools added to Ridgid if that is something that you might want as a home owner.

The LSA on the batteries is nice. The Ridgid line is bigger now, but tools they add seem to have short runs sometimes if they are not popular. Also I wouldn't expect any yard tools added to Ridgid if that is something that you might want as a home owner.

Good point, if yard tools are a factor, I guess Ryobi is the way to go!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every tool company seems to have a large lineup. They just happen to lean heavier to one or two trades. Milwaukee and plumbing and Makita/Bosch to woodworking. If you want to keep the same batteries for your outdoor tools as your regular power tools then go with Makita, DeWalt, ryobi, or Milwaukee.

Make a list of tools that fits your style of work and possible future work. Also look at your budget. I have Bosch and Makita. Both seem to be on the more expensive side for some reason. Other brands might off the same tools but on a cheaper price point. That could allow you to grow your arsenal at a faster rate vs slowly acquiring tools.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, Wesley S. said:

I am in the process of updating my cordless tools platform. I have checked out Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Ridgid and Kobalt. I am looking to use them around the house and various outdoor projects(deck). I am looking for something reliable and that will have no problems going through matieral.

Here's my $.02 about the brands you've checked out:

DeWalt:  Solid professional brand with a lot of options should you choose to expand beyond the basic (drill, impact driver, saws).  FlexVolt gives you more powerful tools while the batteries maintain compatibility with 20v Max tools, and price-wise, DeWalt is often less expensive than Milwaukee. 

Milwaukee:  Another solid professional brand that until recently offered tools that DeWalt didn't (brushless 7-1/4" 18v circular saw, among others).  They seem to be fixated on keeping the M18 platform for all tools, which limits their ability to compete with higher voltage tools, and they are one of the more expensive brands widely available in the US.

Makita:  Yet another solid brand which I admittedly don't know much about.  Platform-wise they seem to offer many of the same tools as the previously mentioned brands do, though, so in terms of variety you can't go wrong.

Ridgid:  A professional brand that is manufactured by the same company as Milwaukee and seems to be positioned just below that brand in price.  They have an outstanding Lifetime Service Agreement (though some have had bad experiences registering for it) that is unmatched by any other brand as it covers batteries as well as tools.  They also offer innovative tools that higher-tier brands do not such as cordless routers and sanders, but they lack the breadth of tools the first three manufacturers offer.

Kobalt:  A (possibly) up-and-coming platform, 24v Max, seems to be met with praise and offers possibly the least expensive batteries on the market.  Many people were alienated by the rapid change from 18v (1.3Ah batteries) to 20v Max (2.0Ah and 4.0Ah batteries and slightly better specs), which were interchangeable, and then the abrupt termination of 20v Max in favor of this new system. 

If price is your only concern, go with Kobalt; if you want expansion possibilities go with DeWalt, Milwaukee or Makita,; and for longevity purposes go with Ridgid.  I personally chose DeWalt but have gotten a few Milwaukee and Ridgid products over the past year. 

• Thanks 1

Another consideration may be what stores are near you and what those carry. Dewalt has more retailers than anyone else on the list. Milwaukee has a lot of tools available at HD. Dewalt at HD isn't a slouch but it has less than Milwaukee. No Milwaukee at Lowe's, lots of Dewalt at Lowe's, Lowe's still sells Dewalt 12v and 18v tools and batteries. Obviously Kobalt is only available at Lowe's and Ryobi and Ridgid is at HD. Ryobi and Ridgid have https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/

Then there are smaller retailers which carry certain lines. It's gotta be nice being able to buy tools from Lowe's and HD, right now I have a $100 Lowe's gift card but I can''t buy any Milwaukee there.

• Like 3

I'd seriously consider Ryobi, the amount of tools and OPE rival many higher tier brands.  Just be mindful of which model you buy, their basic drill is, well, quite basic, check out the brushless model. Look at the 3 speed impact instead of the El cheapo one.

I use DeWalt and Ryobi tools to make money for my family.... I guess I'm a professional and if I'm using Ryobi, then that means it's pro grade.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Cr8ondt said:

I'd seriously consider Ryobi, the amount of tools and OPE rival many higher tier brands.  Just be mindful of which model you buy, their basic drill is, well, quite basic, check out the brushless model. Look at the 3 speed impact instead of the El cheapo one.

I use DeWalt and Ryobi tools to make money for my family.... I guess I'm a professional and if I'm using Ryobi, then that means it's pro grade.

I'm sure Ryobi tools have fed a lot of families over the years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DR99 said:

I'm sure Ryobi tools have fed a lot of families over the years.

My neighbor runs an electrical contracting business and all he has is a Ryobi drill.  Granted, he rarely has to get his hands dirty these days, but he used it to extend out his shop for a new RV.  When I saw what he and some family and friends built, I was amazed.  I'd have had impact drivers, cordless screwdrivers, and a variety of other cordless tools strewn about with 4Ah+ packs in them, yet he screwed in every fastener with only a drill and likely just the smaller batteries that came in the kit!

• Like 1

My recommendation is for you to make a list of the cordless tools you think you would want (include the outdoor power equipment if you like) and research which lines have those tools available. Compare the tools, the availability in your area (which stores have what), prices and flat and simple which ones you prefer. Don't be afraid of lines like Ryobi, Ridgid or Porter-Cable or even Black and Decker if it is just for DIY type projects, a $69 B&D hedge trimmer will work on 50 feet of hedges for years instead of $199 DeWALT Flex-Volt and leave you money to buy a leaf blower and string trimmer with the same batteries at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1