What brand Power Tool should I invest in?

skullabyss

Budget Power Tool Brands  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Best Budget Brand

• Ryobi
    • Porter Cable
    • Kobalt

What tool brand should I invest in? I'm mostly a DIYer and weekend warrior for home projects; but want to invest in some new power tools, but stuck on different platforms. I also do some automotive repairs on the side which I want to factor in. I am kind of on a budget, but I will be saving up some money for next year when I go to buy a whole new set. Right now I am debating between Porter Cable or Ryobi currently. I will be investing in a 1/2 impact wrench as well, preferably something with a high torque would be nice, as I am often helping people on the side of the road; mostly with pick ups. My current impact wrench from Harbor Freight has been slowly disappointing me. Also would like to have decently priced batteries as well.

There are pluses and minuses to any brand you go with but any of the three should be more than sufficient for diy.  Ryobi has been around for long time and have a huge selection of tools.  Kobalt 24v has good reviews and batteries are super cheap but it seems like they keep changing battery platforms (18v, 20v, now 24v).  

As far as impact wrenches ryobi has mid sized with 300ft/lbs of torque. Kobalt has compact with 200ft/lbs and a high torque that has 650ft/lbs.  I personally would pass on porter cable as their only impact wrench is big and heavy but only has 330ft/lbs of torque.  

• Like 1

I'd go Kobalt. In general their stuff has the best build quality of the 3, the cheapest batteries, the best specs, and the best warranties (5 year tool, 3 year battery, 1 year money-back guarantee). Plus all of their stuff is brushless.

Re: platform longevity, the 24v line is selling *significantly* better than their 20v Max stuff did. It wouldn't surprise me to see this platform stick around.

I'd go with Kobalt for the impact alone, which has more breakaway torque than Ryobi and the PC combined.

Ryobi is the other choice, they have the strongest line.

Honestly, with the cost of the Kobalt batteries and some of Ryobi's tools...I'd consider both lines. Kobalt for your most used tools, impact wrench, drill, recip saw. Then supplement with Ryobi as you grow your collection. Ryobi also has great lighting options, which is much more important than you'd think...especially with storm season and early nights in the Winter. Can you say Ryobi fan? Yeah, you'll be wanting one when the electricity goes out during the storms.

Thanks for the input so far guys! I'm definitely leaning more towards Ryobi for my investment currently. I would like input on Harbor Freights new Earthquake 1/2 Cordless Impact Wrench. I really don't care about the size of the tools to be honest. Just shopping around for good deals.

For sheer expansion purposes, I'd go Ryobi.  Every Home Depot has an endcap devoted to the brand, as well as a significant number of tools in the aisle.  Additionally, holiday promos and the Ryobi Days event offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Kobalt 24v seems great, however, and battery prices are probably the lowest of any brand.  If Lowe's was the only local option, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Kobalt.

@skullabyss Have you thought about Ridgid? The line is fairly large as well. It's more of a bargain pro brand so you get the quality and feature benefits of a pro brand but cost savings of a diy brand. The limited lifetime warranty of Ridgid tools is a reason many choose to buy into Ridgid.

Of the 3 you named I'd go with Ryobi. HUGE lineup, decent quality, and they aren't going anywhere.

Kobalt isn't bad stuff, but I just haven't built up enough trust in Lowe's dedication to the line to recommend it. If long term compatibility isn't super important to you, it's probably the best option of the 3.

Porter Cable is decent stuff, but it's also fairly limited offering. 

I second Jronman's suggestion of considering Ridgid. It's a solid lineup, good quality, good warranty, good history of compatibility, decent selection, and would have been the clear winner had it been an option. 

On 9/7/2017 at 1:18 PM, skullabyss said:

Thanks for the input so far guys! I'm definitely leaning more towards Ryobi for my investment currently. I would like input on Harbor Freights new Earthquake 1/2 Cordless Impact Wrench. I really don't care about the size of the tools to be honest. Just shopping around for good deals.

It costs as much as you can get a name brand one for so I wouldn't even lean toward it and it's one of the only things on that platform. Seems very odd that they would choose to go with three separate simultaneous battery platforms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another suggestion is looking at clearance deals or special buys.  This course of action may take some time and patience, but I amassed most of my DeWalt and all of my Milwaukee and Ridgid stuff by getting clearance deals and taking advantage of the special buy programs.  Ryobi is no different if you want to be able to continually add tools for much less; wait until Ryobi Days and get what you need, then comb Home Depot in the weeks after the event ends to find discounted prices on some other stuff. 

7 hours ago, fm2176 said:

Another suggestion is looking at clearance deals or special buys.  This course of action may take some time and patience, but I amassed most of my DeWalt and all of my Milwaukee and Ridgid stuff by getting clearance deals and taking advantage of the special buy programs.  Ryobi is no different if you want to be able to continually add tools for much less; wait until Ryobi Days and get what you need, then comb Home Depot in the weeks after the event ends to find discounted prices on some other stuff. 

Ryobi tools on the second-hand market and on clearance are ridiculously cheap, like HF prices...but better quality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Ryobi tools on the second-hand market and on clearance are ridiculously cheap, like HF prices...but better quality.

They definitely are.  I've seen the holiday combos go for $69 or so, and since it's not a Special Buy the military and, I suppose, other discounts apply as well.  Probably the best thing for the homeowner on a budget is that they can pick up older blue models for pennies on the dollar.  While they may lack the aesthetics and specs of newer tools, most of those old tools are perfectly capable and all should be fully compatible with the new batteries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fm2176 said:

They definitely are.  I've seen the holiday combos go for $69 or so, and since it's not a Special Buy the military and, I suppose, other discounts apply as well.  Probably the best thing for the homeowner on a budget is that they can pick up older blue models for pennies on the dollar.  While they may lack the aesthetics and specs of newer tools, most of those old tools are perfectly capable and all should be fully compatible with the new batteries.

Yup! Just look at all these deals on Craigslist for Ryobi, it makes me kind of jealous but right now that's not the battery platform I want to add. https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/tla?query=ryobi

$40 and pretty much everything a home owner needs, sure they aren't the best but they'll work: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/ryobi-tool-kit-18vdc-extras/6311243007.html

• Like 1