Makita DGA900 - 18v X2 - 9Inch Grinder

kornomaniac

Came in today at work :)

The new 9 inch cordless grinder by Makita.

First impression was better then I Expected ! Much better balanced then a corded grinder.  It's a very strong tool. Really had to lean on it with my whole weight to get it to stall. In any normal use this thing will not bog down.

IMG_20170911_171108.jpg

IMG_20170911_171110.jpg

IMG_20170911_171114.jpg

IMG_20170911_171436.jpg

IMG_20170911_171826.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kat said:

This looks like a huge fail.

Look at the difference compared to the corded model.  The motor on that one is waaaay beefier.

700W for a 230mm angle grinder? Seriously? 

Your reply looks like a huge fail to me ?

Brushless DC motors are alot smaller and compact then universal AC motors. That's 1 of the big selling points on brushless motors. Their power/size ratio.

No idea where you have found the ' 700 watts ' but it is around 2000 watts output. Thesame as many corded grinders. 

• Like 1

It can't put out 2000 watts, there's no battery technology to support that kind of output yet.

At most they can discharge 20A per cell and at 36V that gives off 720W of power assuming no losses. But in the real world power transmission is not perfect so this grinder probably peaks at 600 watts max.

I like Makita tools, but let's be realistic, this one is clearly inferior to any corded model. Brushless motors are mostly a marketing gimmick. In theory they should be 10-15% more efficient, but in practice no tool manufacturer made a brushless tool that is more powerful that the brushed counterpart and has the same weight/size.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kat said:

It can't put out 2000 watts, there's no battery technology to support that kind of output yet.

At most they can discharge 20A per cell and at 36V that gives off 720W of power assuming no losses. But in the real world power transmission is not perfect so this grinder probably peaks at 600 watts max.

There are a total of 20 cells in the two batteries. If they are 25A rated: 25A x 3.6V x 20 =  1800W.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kat said:

Btw I have the DGA506 model and a cheap no-name $30 corded 115mm grinder, and the corded grinder is actually more powerful than the 125mm Makita. I can only cut thin material with the Makita, it's almost useless

With the exception of the flexvolt grinder (and the newer twin 18V units coming out now), all cordless grinders have less power than basic electric units.

But there are many MANY people who think that the power and convenience delivered by the brushless grinders are extremely useful. Not for industrial grinding of course, but for construction work, absolutely.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dwain said:

Not for industrial grinding of course, but for construction work, absolutely.

Not for industrial grinding, said who ? 

Im using an array of cordless grinder in my workshop doing heavy metal fab. My go to mainly is the FV grinder and makita x2 9" now it's out and have it  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dwain said:

With the exception of the flexvolt grinder (and the newer twin 18V units coming out now), all cordless grinders have less power than basic electric units.

But there are many MANY people who think that the power and convenience delivered by the brushless grinders are extremely useful. Not for industrial grinding of course, but for construction work, absolutely.

And the new Bosh brushless with core battery. 

1 hour ago, kat said:

The convenience, yes. The power? lol.

makita_2233 why don't you make a youtube video and cut something thick with the DGA900 and then with a cheap 230mm grinder and shows which is the most powerful

You didn't answer my question, do you have the x2 9" ? 

No  I don't use utube, but I have 15 years experience as a boilermaker/welder using a lot of different brand/size grinders. The grinder did not stop once in any of the cutting/grinding in my photos. The motor barely bogs down when leaning on it hard. 

IMG_1060.PNG

IMG_1061.PNG

IMG_1062.PNG

• Like 1