Will brushed cordless tools become obsolete?

D W

7 hours ago, D W said:

I'm starting to prefer brushed drills now.

I have 2 brushless and I've had nothing but trouble with them. A jumpy trigger, motor brake not working when releasing the trigger, and motor brake not working when loosening the chuck to release a bit. Small issues, but seriously, why any issues? There shouldn't be any.

I own 2 brushed (previously 3) and not a single issue with any. I know I can pick one up, and it will work like it should. Reliable!

Plus, for some reason every brushed drill has perfectly straight/true chucks, and all of the brushless have some runout/wobble ( I had to return one that had 1mm runout!). Perhaps they are skimping on quality to bring the costs of using brushless down.

I know this is anecdotal, but this is really starting to feel like a trend.

Sounds like milwaukee or Bosch?

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

Sounds like milwaukee or Bosch?

It does sound like yet another Milwaukee-issue-post but surprisingly the problems are with Makita (18V sub) and Dewalt (DCD796). I also returned a DCD791 because of bad run out, which was disappointing because it's such a great drill.

Also surprising is the recent purchase of a cheap rebranded Dewalt that renewed my brushed-love.

Perhaps I'm just having a bad run with brushless or maybe they need a few more years to mature their manufacturing. 50% of my brushless tools have problems, none of the brushed do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D W said:

It does sound like yet another Milwaukee-issue-post but surprisingly the problems are with Makita (18V sub) and Dewalt (DCD796). I also returned a DCD791 because of bad run out, which was disappointing because it's such a great drill.

Also surprising is the recent purchase of a cheap rebranded Dewalt that renewed my brushed-love.

Perhaps I'm just having a bad run with brushless or maybe they need a few more years to mature their manufacturing. 50% of my brushless tools have problems, none of the brushed do.

Ow yeah think I remember you posted about the funny trigger control. 

• Like 1