Metabo TWIN 18V sds drill - 7AH BATTS - KHA 36-18 LTX 32 - oztooltalk review

dwain

That vid popped up in my YouTube feed, top job, well presented. 

As for the drill, seems like a good machine from the specs and the info from yourselves. 3.1 joules is plenty for that weight machine, shouldn't see too many busted chisel tips at that rating. 

Looking forward to your shootout! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tug said:

As a rule of thumb I'd say 3.5 is the limit for sds plus, but I'm no scientist. Ideally it'd be great to get AvE to take a look at this, he has a great channel on YouTube. 

My Milwaukee at 4.1 chews up chisel bits ease.

Hmm very interesting. I wonder if BPM plays no part at all? I guess Joules/hit would be far more important.

I guess bpm does play a part, the shaft of every drill bit or chisel tip is only going to be able to absorb so many impacts before failure. The impact energy will definitely be the overriding cause of failure, particularly with the wider flat chisel tips, their larger surface area will offer up more resistance to each blow, this will all have to be absorbed by the shaft. 

Any metallurgists out there care to comment? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I guess bpm does play a part, the shaft of every drill bit or chisel tip is only going to be able to absorb so many impacts before failure. The impact energy will definitely be the overriding cause of failure, particularly with the wider flat chisel tips, their larger surface area will offer up more resistance to each blow, this will all have to be absorbed by the shaft. 

I suppose so, but the tip (having the least surface area to distribute the force), will be most prone to failure, as you have already noted.

Just now, D W said:

@dwain did you test the new "ultra" charger with that kit? I'm curious to see how much faster it is. The cheapest I've seen it is $199 AUD. 

No we didn't. I have an ultra charger coming, so we'll use it in the comparison. To be honest though, we don't REVIEW chargers. Metabo told me it takes 1 hour, and I'm usually inclined to take them on their word on these things ;)

Personally, I'm not sold on fast chargers. I've got a fair amount of experience with lithium and they're really only comfortable with 1C charging. That means a 5 Amp pack should only be charged at 5 Amps maximum. I've seen Makita chargers banging out 9 Amps! 

The Flexvolt charger I've got will drop the charge current down from 8 Amps to 4 Amps when charging 18 Volt packs, but that still means my 2 Amp slim pack is still being charged at 2C, that could shorten its overall life. 

Not formally reviewing chargers is understandable. I should have used a word other than "test". I was just hoping for a quick bit of info on how much faster it is. It's a very expensive charger and has to really be worth it to upgrade. Those big 7.0ah must take at least 1.5-2 hours on the old charger, and then you have 2 of them to charge!!!

A quick rule of thumb I've noticed, from all brands, is that fast chargers take approximately 8-10 minutes per amp hour.

Great review as always.

For size perspective, put a tape measure in front of the tools when they are sitting on the bench, and a tape measure vertically with the tool sitting on weight scales when they are on the turntable and you will have perfect reviews.

• 3 weeks later...

hmm, that's worth thinking about DW!

I don't mind fast chargers as long as temperature is managed. A well cooled fast charger may keep the batteries cooler than a regular charger, if it does, that's better for the battery right?!

• Like 1