Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

Makita 6 amp are still the normal 18650 cells.

We know Makita are working on new batteries because all their modern 18+ 18v tools have the batteries spaced apart to make room for future bigger batteries.

The rumour is Makita ( and Milwaukee ) will be skipping 20700 cells and go for 21700 cells but when, and how.... Noone will be able to confirm you that for now

The 21700 cells are only 1 mm larger in diameter then 20700 cells. I'm sure that won't matter/ that extra room for that 1 mm has been taken into account by DeWalt engineers :)

I expect only a small increase in amps with 21700 cells so I guess it will be a rolling change for flexvolt throughout the time

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kornomaniac said:

Makita 6 amp are still the normal 18650 cells.

We know Makita are working on new batteries because all their modern 18+ 18v tools have the batteries spaced apart to make room for future bigger batteries.

The rumour is Makita ( and Milwaukee ) will be skipping 20700 cells and go for 21700 cells but when, and how.... Noone will be able to confirm you that for now

I heard the same about Makita but Milwaukee supposedly confirmed they will use the 21700 cells

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ned said:

Thanks!

I am not in favour of Flexi Volt (maxi size) like batteries.

For me the current size (dimentions wise) Makita batteries are just right for every day, all day use. 

Well there is no escaping bigger batteries. We're at the end of what 10cell 18650 cells can do for us.

If we want more powah and longer runtime in the future that will mean some bigger batteries :)

Now a 10cell 21700 battery doesn't have to be much bigger . Does anyone know if Bosch uses 20700 or 21700 in the new procore ? 

15 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Well there is no escaping bigger batteries. We're at the end of what 10cell 18650 cells can do for us.

If we want more powah and longer runtime in the future that will mean some bigger batteries :)

Now a 10cell 21700 battery doesn't have to be much bigger . Does anyone know if Bosch uses 20700 or 21700 in the new procore ? 

Bosch will use 21700 in procore.

With current tech the only option is bigger batteries but solid state batteries are in the near future. Supposedly smaller than Li ion with a bunch of other benefits. I wouldn't be surprised if they come within 10 years.

• Thanks 2

Your not using a Makita battery ..All day Everyday...,they don't last

I use Makita all day, everyday.

I have used/owned all Milwaukee Fuel, Hilti and Makita.
There is no significant difference in batteries between them.
Even the Brushed Hilti stuff.
I use 5.0 and slim 2.0 all day everyday on my Makita stuff.
I don’t have issues with runtime at all. If fact, the Makita Brushed Rotary Hammer seems to last as long as my old 2712-20 Fuel ever did. I also don’t abuse tools or “push” them like some guys like to.

I actually bought too many batteries thinking I should have them “just in case”, now I have batteries that literally sit around collecting dust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@HiltiWpg...sir I am happy that your batteries do work just fine for you. As you said you don't run them hard or push them...I assume you get 2/3 used and you slap a new one on. ?.... In my world of construction aka Framing..we Push everything and Everyone to the N'th degree....I'm sure your not working in blizzards,pouring rain,ungodly heat....well,welcome to my world...Yes,I make crazy stupid money,but our tools must and do perform without problem  just as my worksite does..

......as I said I run 2 very large framing crews side by side on the same job everyday. One uses all Dewalt. One uses all Makita...from my use and supervisory role,I see the Makita tools breaking down more  and the battery getting changed more often then Dewalt..........I am Not disrespecting Makita, they are a fine company,it's merely an observation on a daily basis of long hours and hard work under tough conditions..

You missing the point mate!

We are here (in Makita forum) to share and discuss our beloved MAKITA brand good and not so good experience. This particular forum is not about arguing about Brands. Go somewhere else to argue about.

Nobody make a claim Makita is the Best. If it does not work for you than get something else and move to other forums to discuss.  

• Like 1

[mention=51679]HiltiWpg[/mention]...sir I am happy that your batteries do work just fine for you. As you said you don't run them hard or push them...I assume you get 2/3 used and you slap a new one on. ?.... In my world of construction aka Framing..we Push everything and Everyone to the N'th degree....I'm sure your not working in blizzards,pouring rain,ungodly heat....well,welcome to my world...Yes,I make crazy stupid money,but our tools must and do perform without problem  just as my worksite does.. ......as I said I run 2 very large framing crews side by side on the same job everyday. One uses all Dewalt. One uses all Makita...from my use and supervisory role,I see the Makita tools breaking down more  and the battery getting changed more often then Dewalt..........I am Not disrespecting Makita, they are a fine company,it's merely an observation on a daily basis of long hours and hard work under tough conditions..

When I say I don’t push them, I literally mean I don’t lean hard into them and force them to overdraw or put too much pressure on the bearings. I see morons lean into the tools so hard it’s a wonder they don’t implode.

I drill and fasten concrete, drill metal etc all day.

And if you look up one of the coldest cities on earth, yeah, that’s where I live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

New batteries are coming, it's just a case of when. I'd expect to see them on the JPN and AUS markets before anywhere else however. Rumours of 21700 cells being implemented.

21 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Your not using a Makita battery ..All day Everyday...,they don't last

If makita don't last then none of them last; every brand use one of three cells, samsung, sony or LG.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

New batteries are coming, it's just a case of when. I'd expect to see them on the JPN and AUS markets before anywhere else however. Rumours of 21700 cells being implemented.

If makita don't last then none of them last; every brand use one of three cells, samsung, sony or LG.

Quite right said :)

Today at Screwfix Live tools fair (UK) I have asked Makita reps about when shall we expect a new batteries to become available and they said not this Year.

They Makita did not have any 6Ah at the show neither could you order from them as they direct you to retailers having some stock. 6ah batteries have been released in a limited numbers this summer in UK but no any more supply from Makita since August and nobody knows why.

Which may me thinking that they (Makita) had stopped this batch as they are with 18650 sells, while Metabo and Bosch (here in EU) have already moved to 20700 and very recently to 21700, and now try to sell as mach as they could before new batteries come to the shelfs. I hope we will see the new batteries before the end of the Year. Either 20700 or 21700 will be quite upgrade over present well served for me for many Years 18650s.     

1 minute ago, Ned said:

Quite right said :)

Today at Screwfix Live tools fair (UK) I have asked Makita reps about when shall we expect a new batteries to become available and they said not this Year.

They Makita did not have any 6Ah at the show neither could you order from them as they direct you to retailers having some stock. 6ah batteries have been released in a limited numbers this summer in UK but no any more supply from Makita since August and nobody knows why.

Which may me thinking that they (Makita) had stopped this batch as they are with 18650 sells, while Metabo and Bosch (here in EU) have already moved to 20700 and very recently to 21700, and now try to sell as mach as they could before new batteries come to the shelfs. I hope we will see the new batteries before the end of the Year. Either 20700 or 21700 will be quite upgrade over present well served for me for many Years 18650s.     

No, they'll still be available, makita just couldn't produce them fast enough for the UK market. http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/batteries/li-ion/197422-4-battery-bl1860b-18v-li-ion.html

18 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

No, they'll still be available, makita just couldn't produce them fast enough for the UK market. http://www.makitauk.com/accessories/batteries/li-ion/197422-4-battery-bl1860b-18v-li-ion.html

Very limited stock and Makita does not provide any info about restock them since August. I have had chad with several Makita distributors including FastFix one of the biggest official Makita retailer. This isn`t looking like they can`t produce quantities but more likely clearing old stock before new releases. But that is just my guess. 

Just now, Ned said:

Very limited stock and Makita does not provide any info about restock them since August. I have had chad with several Makita distributors including FastFix one of the biggest official Makita retailer. This isn`t looking like they can`t produce quantities but more likely clearing old stock before new releases. But that is just my guess. 

They were released in the UK Q4 last year. They're not currently old stock. Even with new batteries coming, the current batteries will have to be continued to support 18x2 tools that haven't been designed to accept batteries with a wider body.

• Thanks 1

Gentlemen, because a company uses the same cell that another company uses has Absolutely Nothing to do with finished battery. I'm quite sure you know while 1 battery can run extremely hot (brand A) while a different  battery can run much cooler with the exact same cells (brand Dewalt) not only battery WH but the motor of the tool and voltage none of which i know much about. ........and...mr @HiltiWpg..I'm quite sure if your drilling cement and metal your using the BEST company for that , HILTI..not Makita .........some of Makita 18v batteries don't work in some other 18v tools, as in not compatible.and many don't even have charge status lights.. If Makita works for you awesome, I'm only stating what I actually see. I have a Makita compressor (MAC5200)  from 25 years ago that still works awesome and a rotary hammer (HR3851) that I still use to break frozen ground so I can install Sono tubes for deck footings......so I love those those Makita tools, not bashing...I think the batteries are a different subject...