Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

2 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Realistically, why are you even considering anything lower than a 4ah battery for high drain tools? 

To have the possibility at least would be nice. A new 1,5 or 2Ah battery most likely handles a high drain tool as good (or as bad) as an old 1,3Ah (expecting the "good old 1,3" like the original Sony VTC in the BL1815, newer 1,3Ah are often "budget" versions with lower rating cells). It is a decision to make, will I completely restrict getting poor performance on these occasions or tolerate it for emergencies and inform users that for some tools you need more than 1 row of cells.

I like that i can use my angle grinder for a light duty job with the 2Ah battery when my 2 row packs are flat, even though it is completely unappropriate thing to do.

Just back from D&M Tool Show (London, UK) and ones again Makita does not have 6Ah battery for sell. Last week Screwfix LIVE tool fair was the same. Official reply "Out of stock" and Makita do not take orders on these , unofficial "discounted". Which make me hope than we might see the new batteries with newer sells before end of this Year.

Bosch have had the new ProCore 7Ah on display and will be on the shelves at the end of the month. Ones again just few months between the announcement and product make it to the  shelves. Wish Makita were like that.

Have checked the spacing on the x2 tools. On Makita there is a plastic divider between the two batteries while on Metabo x2 there is open space. I think that the newest (bigger batteries) will fit Makita present day x2 tools as there is plenty of space despite the divider.    

20171007_102501.jpg

20171007_102505.jpg

20171007_102529.jpg

20171007_124601.jpg

20171007_124622.jpg

20171007_124644.jpg

Look at all that wasted space and plastic between the batteries - what if Makita somehow designed a single encased 36V battery that consumed both slots? I would imagine that releasing/removing the battery may be challenging, but maybe they could also design a single release button, or some sort of clever battery release. Darn, but then another charger would need to be released.

1 hour ago, bee-man said:

Look at all that wasted space and plastic between the batteries - what if Makita somehow designed a single encased 36V battery that consumed both slots? I would imagine that releasing/removing the battery may be challenging, but maybe they could also design a single release button, or some sort of clever battery release. Darn, but then another charger would need to be released.

Makita used to have 36v battery lineup, then switched to 18v x2

Am I the only one who doesn’t want big ass bricks on the bottom of my tools? Flexvolt looks ridiculously stupid. Certain tools need to be compact. I love my 18x2 chainsaw and Rotary Hammer. I love my impact even more, BECAUSE it’s compact. 15 more minutes of runtime isn’t worth the bulk to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am into demolition and refurbishment trade and I really need HD batteries. Current stock is quite capable for ordinary no push work, but in my trade my batteries heats quickly and shuts down the tool. I got 8 to overcome this problem but for me will be better to have fewer but bigger batteries.   

When I am blasting holes in concrete, chipping or coring, the 5.0’s work great. If I am doing anything bigger than a 1” hole/ 3 1/2” core, I grab an sds max. I don’t lean into the tool.
Too many guys are clueless about proper tool operation. You see them pushing into the tool with everything they’ve got. It’s no wonder their tools don’t last or overheat.

4 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

@Ned

Do your makita batteries overheat? :)  On what tools? :)

I push them hard but still so does my colleague his Dewalt.

I use a lot my BJR181 Recip saw and my DHS680 circular saw, cutting old rafters and joist, old timber with everything embedded in it. My BLS713 also gives a hard time to my batteries (all BL1830 some new with charge level some older).

On the same work my  colleague`s Dewalt does not heat as much but he has got bigger batteries (not Flexvolt).

• Thanks 1

The tools are to serve us and not other way around.

Most of us here know what is right use and what not and we do no discuss the most extreme cases here. 

But sometimes we all think the our colleagues had a better set :)    

I push them hard but still so does my colleague his Dewalt.

I think we are having a slight communication problem.

When I say “pushing into” or “leaning into” a tool, I mean exactly that, a literal definition. Pushing on/into the tool so hard that you are stressing the tool. That will cause overheating and premature wear on bearings, gears etc, and run your battery down faster. It also causes premature wear on Bits and Blades.

You would be surprised just how many guys misuse tools this way. I have had the same unibit for 6 years. My coworker goes through one a year. Same bit, but one of use pushes on his drill so hard he grunts and sweats. I tell him to let the drill do the work, he pushes harder on the poor thing.

I put my tools through a lot in a day, I “push” them in the figurative sense that I expect a full day of solid work from them.

I spent all day drilling concrete and running pipe, my Impact and Rotary hammer are my two most used tools. Drill and Recip are a close second!

Finally GPS tags (from Samsung)! It would be nice if MAKITA comes up with something similar.

This could be promising if the price is right :). Gonna stick few of them in different tool boxes.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/17/samsungs-connect-tag-low-power-cellular-tracker-needs-charged-week/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-connect-tag/

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19696

Common Makita, give us something to better protect our tools.

4 hours ago, Ned said:

Finally GPS tags (from Samsung)! It would be nice if MAKITA comes up with something similar.

This could be promising if the price is right :). Gonna stick few of them in different tool boxes.

Waste of time and money. I've been a vitim of tool theft and I've investigated. Your best line of protection is a robust insuarance police and paying attention to your gear. These tags aren't independent GPS devices and until that day comes, they're only as good as the cellphone they're linked to.

19 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Waste of time and money. I've been a vitim of tool theft and I've investigated. Your best line of protection is a robust insuarance police and paying attention to your gear. These tags aren't independent GPS devices and until that day comes, they're only as good as the cellphone they're linked to.

That is the point, to be link to my cell phone which is always with me. Insurance does not cover if your van have been open and not broken into. 

This is , if the right price of course, just another layer of protection.  

19 hours ago, Ned said:

7 days battery life in these tags....

• 4 weeks later...