Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

5 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Gentlemen, because a company uses the same cell that another company uses has Absolutely Nothing to do with finished battery. I'm quite sure you know while 1 battery can run extremely hot (brand A) while a different  battery can run much cooler with the exact same cells (brand Dewalt) not only battery WH but the motor of the tool and voltage none of which i know much about. ........and...mr @HiltiWpg..I'm quite sure if your drilling cement and metal your using the BEST company for that , HILTI..not Makita .........some of Makita 18v batteries don't work in some other 18v tools, as in not compatible.and many don't even have charge status lights.. If Makita works for you awesome, I'm only stating what I actually see. I have a Makita compressor (MAC5200)  from 25 years ago that still works awesome and a rotary hammer (HR3851) that I still use to break frozen ground so I can install Sono tubes for deck footings......so I love those those Makita tools, not bashing...I think the batteries are a different subject...

Dewalt don't even use air cooled chargers.

The colour of the tool won't alter the science of the cell so believe me when I say a DeWalt battery at its core will be no cooler than any other under the same load. 

• Like 2

First the dcb118 is fan cooled and yellow and you should tell Milwaukee that their battery runs as hot as a Makita because your science is as correct as "global warming."count on it.......then tell Dewalts engineers they are wrong because a cell is a cell and then "AVE" boltre all that heat disappated foil and extra copper used is all BS......cmon sir , you know not all batteries are created equal right ? 

1 hour ago, Framer joe said:

First the dcb118 is fan cooled and yellow and you should tell Milwaukee that their battery runs as hot as a Makita because your science is as correct as "global warming."count on it.......then tell Dewalts engineers they are wrong because a cell is a cell and then "AVE" boltre all that heat disappated foil and extra copper used is all BS......cmon sir , you know not all batteries are created equal right ? 

It's only taken what, 6/7 years for them to think now's perhaps the time for a can cooled charger when batteries approach the 6ah mark.

As for this running hot nonsense, I'll bare it in mind. Plastic is an insulator. You can fill it with as much copper foil as you like. I've attached a few images for you to study at your convenience. Ironically out of the three the DeWalt has the smallest (if at all) over load, over discharge and thermal protection circuit.

DSCF6385.jpg

remove.jpg

B1NnJwGIQAAyCEw.jpg

• Like 1

As you know the battery you choose is Dewalts oldest, 3ah and a Makita  newer 3ah with battery level indicator...and Milwaukee 2nd gen battery.....I realize you hate Dewalt it's tough on you Makita guys  that Dewalt leads the pack in construction related cordless tools and batteries..I get it...it's why Milwaukee took out full ads the day Flexvolt was released. It's why Makita rear handle came out first ,to try and beat the flex circ,but it can't  I am sorry for you...and yes the new flex direct drive saw is even better by 33% more then then flex circ......

Game changing is what Dewalt does ...it's not a gimmick it's real world tool performance better then anyone else.......I'm not a engineer or electrical in any way...but both Dewalt and Milwaukee have claims and data proving their batteries run cooler then anyone else..(check it it online) I go buy that claim....if you know more then their designers ,you should call them out on it . ...in my real world I can use a Makita battery for a while and hold it   Feel the temp...then a Dewalt battery ....it's not rocket science...one feels hotter after the same use.......

....as I said , I have Makita tools that have lasted decades and still work great. I'm not a guy in a garage doing a 6min test with scrape wood...I build multi million dollar homes everyday , I run dozens of guys , the tools get worked hard everyday...these are my observations everyday.......no disrespect to you at all,I enjoy learning everyday. 

17 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

.I realize you hate Dewalt it's tough on you Makita guys  that Dewalt leads the pack in construction related cordless tools and batteries

Incorrect. I have plenty cordless DeWalt tools, I just choose not to be blinded by the marketing fan boy bull flame wars that go on in forums. If you want to move the goal posts that's fine but I'd rather compare apples to apples. Wait for Makita new batteries if you're going to put the flexvolt battery on a pedestal.

19 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

both Dewalt and Milwaukee have claims and data proving their batteries run cooler then anyone else..(check it it online) I go buy that claim

This is where you fail. Milwaukee are well known as being thermally flawed on their 9ah packs.

20 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

in my real world I can use a Makita battery for a while and hold it   Feel the temp...then a Dewalt battery ....it's not rocket science...one feels hotter after the same use.

This isn't through heat dissipation, this is through heat build up (or lack of) due to high current draw. Perhaps the problem is not with the fact Makita allow a high current draw and inturn get hot but rather that DeWalt do not. The form factor and surface area is pretty much identical for both brands. Without extra surface area and a material that acts as a good conducter of heat, not one or the other will be any better.

23 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

the tools get worked hard everyday...these are my observations everyday.......no disrespect to you at all,I enjoy learning everyday. 

Have you ever considered that it isn't the brand, rather you and the guys using them?

Anyway that's me. If you want to educate yourself further on energy storage there's a wealth of information online.

• Like 1

I love a good debate....definitely love the fanboy twist guys use...you do realize I work to create wealth and to support multiple families...I don't use and buy tools to be blindly loyal to dewalt ( I have multiple brands) .I use the tools the get the job done faster ,more efficiently and the tool that will last. ...

..............always makes me chuckle though......like the Makita xsh01 two battery 7.25 circ saw...the guys at work  bought it and brought it in thinking it could beat the flex circ...funny....watch reviews on the Makita impact wrench...it's big it's heavy and can't even beat the older 899.... Milwaukee is not even in the same league with circ saws.....facts not fans always win,,,that's Dewalt ! Wait till the direct drive is released..! Oh boy ! Bosch core batteries make the same claim, less heat...run cooler.( love Bosch) ..but what your saying is  it's all bs every battery heats up the same....I am sorry ,I respectfully disagree..IMG_0694.thumb.JPG.7bf41b6ec66854e83e55969fa88f5a53.JPG I don't believe that......I could be wrong, I was once back in the 80's ...jk

.......Zippidy Zip Bam Boo......ok buying Dewalt socks was over the line,BUT they are great socks,really......

@Framer joe

You've turned the thread into a dewalt fan boy thread. No one cares that you run 2 crews, 1 uses dewalt and the other makita. No one cares you do multi million jobs. No one cares you create wealth and support multiple  families. What relevance does that have to the original post ?

People are sick of hearing about. What do you want a pat on the back or something ? 

People contribute to this world daily like you do, but don't need to brag about it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Makita_2233 said:

@Framer joe

You've turned the thread into a dewalt fan boy thread. No one cares that you run 2 crews, 1 uses dewalt and the other makita. No one cares you do multi million jobs. No one cares you create wealth and support multiple  families. What relevance does that have to the original post ?

People are sick of hearing about. What do you want a pat on the back or something ? 

People contribute to this world daily like you do, but don't need to brag about it 

Is it about the size of his flexvolt battery pack or his ego?

Either way, I bet that's not all he likes to stroke. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

Is it about the size of his flexvolt battery pack or his ego?

Either way, I bet that's not all he likes to stroke. :rolleyes:

Both I think lol

Hahaha

What will happen when Milwaukee bring their 21700 celled dual voltage packs next year, will they be better ? Who cares, every brand has good and bad 

• Like 1

Guys! This is a Makita topic, keep it to Makita. Everyone knows Festool is better than Makita AND Dewalt. You don’t hear me whining about it 😜

Seriously though, I got a concerned email and checked the thread out. Let’s keep it on task, somebody queried Makita, lets talk Makita. If you want to discuss merits of other batteries pros and cons, start a new topic. 

Besides, when Dewalt gets Dewalt girls like Makita does, then we will be more interested. 

DC0BA731-5D6A-442F-9D50-E925A875CE30.jpeg

AE95FA93-F729-48BB-852A-DFAC58F270FF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Alas, I shall no longer bestow my Makita wisdom on the Makita vine . The ignorant turn to disrespect out of a lack of knowledge and the inability to see the "big picture" ...... The USA was created by great men ,Rockefeller,Carnegie, Vanderbilt, men who spoke their mind, took chances and applauded there own successes,in the face of criticism,such as myself. While I realize your ashamed of your shortcomings,disappointments and lack of success in the world, I celebrate my success.I proudly tell all and encourage all to not settle for anything less ....

Having great success means helping build high school shop buildings, donating tools, and time helping family   friends....Donating large amounts of money to cure cancer,  leukemia.build churches...I have taught dozens framing skills and tool knowledge and they learned at work and after work ,through the years  and have gone on to start their own business and hire people,thus perpetuating the American dream. 

What does this have to do with tools ? Ah,... learning,studying,being a master of my craft, using a vast array of tools and different companies , gains invaluable knowledge. Which tools get the job done faster, which tools break down. Which companies stand behind their tools. Which translates into success, money...

...You should be greatful to vets and the USA if not for us you would be speaking German and standing in line begging for a loaf a bread....

Stick to diy and I'll,continue to build the country,yup yup More POWA god bless

• Confused 1

I'm curious to see if they have fitment issues on the 2x18 tools. I haven't used one. I would imagine they anticipated bigger batteries and left some space? If Makita starts using 21700 cells they'll be able to give horsepower (I guess kW) specs for their impact drivers. Curious to see the change in performance in the td170dz. Still the best impact driver I've ever owned. I'd trade my dcf887 for it any day.

37 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I'm curious to see if they have fitment issues on the 2x18 tools. I haven't used one. I would imagine they anticipated bigger batteries and left some space? If Makita starts using 21700 cells they'll be able to give horsepower (I guess kW) specs for their impact drivers. Curious to see the change in performance in the td170dz. Still the best impact driver I've ever owned. I'd trade my dcf887 for it any day.

Maybe they’ll be taller like the Milwaukee ones? I have the X2 chainsaw and it’s suck if including use a larger pack.

[mention=51679]HiltiWpg[/mention]..I'm quite sure if your drilling cement and metal your using the BEST company for that , HILTI..not Makita .........some of Makita 18v batteries don't work in some other 18v tools, as in not compatible.and many don't even have charge status lights.. If Makita works for you awesome, I'm only stating what I actually see. I

What? Do you even read before replying?
I am talking specifically about Makita, not Hilti. No one mentioned Hilti but you.

I get you dislike Makita, but based on your comments, you haven’t used any recent Makita stuff, otherwise you would understand some of the significant changes that were made and how the product works now, compared to 2009 when you seem to have last experienced Makita.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

A friend told me that toolaholic let slip on his story that a 9ah battery is coming. Definitely wider. Possibly 21 or 20700 cells. 

Any chance there are pictures forthcoming? Maybe a timeframe on the release date?

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Maybe they’ll be taller like the Milwaukee ones? I have the X2 chainsaw and it’s suck if including use a larger pack.

The only way they could just go taller is if maybe they turned the cells so they are set in vertical. 20700 and 21700 cells would be 5mm longer so you would need 5mm spacing between the batteries and 2.5mm on the outsides of the two batteries unless they can cut out a good chunk of the battery shell. I guess we shall see when they release them. Curious as to how much space the 18x2 recip and circular saws have. I think a few guys have them on here.