Makita Battery cell 20700

Ned

4 minutes ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

And that isn't enough?

I get by most of the time just fine, but with all the tools I have, I keep having a feeling that I could use two more batteries and third twin charger, so I could have all of my batteries full in the morning.

edit: Especially when using the DUC353 chainsaw at the same time as DHR264, as Im also usually using atleast a third tool.

1 hour ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

With the tools that are overheating batteries then I can see the requirement. However with much of the X2 OPE gear there's no space for expansion or larger batteries anyway, chainsaws included. 

The 36v 9" would benefit but at the same time I see it as a bit of a gimmick for anything other than short bursts of work. The price has fallen by 2/3s in the UK since this time last year so I think the market feels the same way. 

Makita don't have a rotary hammer which needs any more than they currently offer. We'll see what the DHR282 is like but it's not a requirement and more of a desire. 

Just do what I do, take more than one battery to work with you and you'll be fine. 

The X2 chainsaw does have room for larger batteries :)

and there is a newer version of the grinders coming . That's why the old one is so cheap :)

52 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

and there is a newer version of the grinders coming . That's why the old one is so cheap :)

Newer version of grinders? Do you know anything more please? What new features will these grinders have...? AWS maybe?

9 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Like what, 2 mm wider? 

image.png.fe8ebfd1da3b86e2a4a5784c61d2ff72.png

Why do all the newer X2 tools have like 2 cm gap between the packs then? Except the latest circular saw, where the spacing between the packs seem to be back to a couple of milimeters. I'm just intrigued what this inconsistency could possibly mean.🤔

10 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

They don't knock 2/3rds the price off just because they're bringing a model with AWS 😂. Example, the DSP60X is a hot seller so right now there's no more than £40 difference between the 600 and 601 plunge saw with AWS. The DGA900 isn't selling, a look on the history of most eBay listings show it's sold more units in the past month than it did in the 12 months before hand because the market wasn't interested in it at the price it was offered. The 900 will still be available for sale because some people will never need AWS so won't want to pay the premium for it; not to mention the backlog of stock Makita will already hold that can't be repurposed.

As for extra room on the X2, post above hit the nail on the head. All newer X2 tools are set up for a wider battery where as that X2 chainsaw could only accommodate a deeper battery. So no, I really don't think it does have any extra room. Nor does the 302.

DUC302Z-Slider-1.jpg

5 hours ago, SchenzhenSpecial said:

They don't knock 2/3rds the price off just because they're bringing a model with AWS 😂. Example, the DSP60X is a hot seller so right now there's no more than £40 difference between the 600 and 601 plunge saw with AWS. The DGA900 isn't selling, a look on the history of most eBay listings show it's sold more units in the past month than it did in the 12 months before hand because the market wasn't interested in it at the price it was offered. The 900 will still be available for sale because some people will never need AWS so won't want to pay the premium for it; not to mention the backlog of stock Makita will already hold that can't be repurposed.

As for extra room on the X2, post above hit the nail on the head. All newer X2 tools are set up for a wider battery where as that X2 chainsaw could only accommodate a deeper battery. So no, I really don't think it does have any extra room. Nor does the 302.

DUC302Z-Slider-1.jpg

Agreed on the grinder.

And obviously noone was talking about that age old top handle X2. We're talking about the brushless X2 chainsaw

5 hours ago, Martin said:

Like what, 2 mm wider? 

image.png.fe8ebfd1da3b86e2a4a5784c61d2ff72.png

Why do all the newer X2 tools have like 2 cm gap between the packs then? Except the latest circular saw, where the spacing between the packs seem to be back to a couple of milimeters. I'm just intrigued what this inconsistency could possibly mean.🤔

It's indeed 5 mm extra. What you would need for 21700 cells.

On the latest circular saw I find it strange indeed :) well have to wait and see

Maybe they really managed to cramp 21700 cells into a pack that is only 5 mm wider? For me as a Makita user that would be a dream come true. With other brands, hi-drain packs tend to be hideously big, more than shere difference in cell dimensions would imply. Except for perhaps Bosch Core, which is pretty compact. 

If that is the case, it would explain why the latest circ saw has narrower gap. 5 - 6 mm would do.

They only need 5 mm more really I think ? 21700 cells are only 5 mm wider then the current 18650. 

Bosch's procore are a fine example. Only 5 mm bigger then the ' older' batteries 

I've just measured the duc254. Single battery brushless chainsaw. There is a 3 mm gap next to the battery between it and the housing. If 5 mm more is all Makita needs ( 2.5 mm to each side ) then a 21700 celled battery would fit the chainsaw

Thanks for measuring! Then it's either very compact 21700 packs, or they really have something revolutionary up their sleeve. Eiter way I'm a happy camper 😛.

Btw Dominic, do you have clear favorite between X2 and single battery brushless chainsaws? I can't make up my mind which to get.