Makita circular saw trigger switch, multiple failures

greybird7

I'm curious to hear if other Makita circular saw owners have experienced multiple failures of the trigger switch.

In ten years of ownership, my Makita 5740NB saw has had 4 switch replacements, the latest of which lasted

only 4 days, before failing. All switches failed in the "on" condition. Release of the trigger did not shut off the saw.

I dismantled two of the switches, and found them to be quite delicate and fragile in construction and design.

Are there any company recalls for these switches, or any recourse for customers with out-of-warranty defects?

1 hour ago, greybird7 said:

I'm curious to hear if other Makita circular saw owners have experienced multiple failures of the trigger switch.

In ten years of ownership, my Makita 5740NB saw has had 4 switch replacements, the latest of which lasted

only 4 days, before failing. All switches failed in the "on" condition. Release of the trigger did not shut off the saw.

I dismantled two of the switches, and found them to be quite delicate and fragile in construction and design.

Are there any company recalls for these switches, or any recourse for customers with out-of-warranty defects?

Do u run it on a generator or anything like that . Depends how much u use it if its everyday gets used then switches will wear out but not that fast where do u buy your switches from ? 

Switches are always a little delicate looking(it's just plastic and spring steel), I wouldn't put too much weight into that. Are they physically sticking? You can spray some WD40 in there to clean it up but try to blow out as much as you can or it will attract dust.

Maybe they have a newer switch that will work in it.

My dad had the same problem he changed his three time in a yr or so and then just threw it on the shelf we haven't messed with it since.. mine has been working great for a couple years now but it doesn't get constant use in my shop like his did on our job site