Pouet

Utility knife

Pouet    18

I'm looking to buy a new utility knife. I have the Milwaukee fastback 2 at the moment which I kind of like but I was wondering if anyone has a better suggestion? The popular choices seem to be  Milwaukee and Dewalt. Anything else I'm missing? I love German hand tool brands like Wera, Knipex, Wiha, ... Do any of these brands make a great utility knife that I'm not aware of?

BMack37    3,872

I'd avoid the German brands. Hazet has one that is $50 and made in China! WTF?!

Knipex has the insulated one. It's like $30, uses proprietary blades that are one-sided and like $15 each. I think Gedore has one too, not sure of the cost.

I like the Olfa stuff, made in Japan. There are some decent Kobalt ones too, I have one that looks a LOT like the Milwaukee but with a different texture. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-11-Blade-Utility-Knife/50289429

rrich1    1,772

I have the Milwaukee and like it a lot. The quick open and close are something I'm not willing to give up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

D W    139

I have one made by Hart. It's aluminium so the weight is very light (~200g) The handle holds spare blades and can also turn a 1/4 inch hex bit.

Blade change is easy, just press the black button at the front and pull the old blade out, put a new one in.

For people in Aus, you can get these at Bunnings for $15 AUD.

hart.jpg

hart2.png

BMack37    3,872
7 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I have the Milwaukee and like it a lot. The quick open and close are something I'm not willing to give up.

I like that too. The Kobalt one I linked is the same style but textured. I have the Milwaukee with a straight blade and the Kobalt with the hook blade, texture gives a little extra grip and easily distinguished.

• Like 1

rrich1    1,772

I like that too. The Kobalt one I linked is the same style but textured. I have the Milwaukee with a straight blade and the Kobalt with the hook blade, texture gives a little extra grip and easily distinguished.
Didn't see that. Nice. I'd lose that in a heartbeat though being all black.

BMack37    3,872
5 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Didn't see that. Nice. I'd lose that in a heartbeat though being all black.

#BlackKnivesMatter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JimboS1ice    7,775

I have a handful of dewalt blades the older ones with more rubber over molding on it, very comfortable the front drops on a slight angle and blade change is simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jronman    869

@Pouet my fatmax is pretty good. It is the dual blade version. Bostich also makes the same knife in a different color scheme. I like how I can have 2 blades at the ready. 

fm2176    131

I have a bunch of different utility knives, but always go for the DeWalt versions.  The standard retractable blade ones sold at Home Depot are outstanding, especially when they go on sale at $12.97 for two.  The older all yellow versions have issues with the blade release (something I'm able to live with), but the newer metal ones have been problem-free thus far.  I also have the folding retractable knife, some of the auto-loading ones, and maybe one or two more DeWalt knives I can't recall at the moment.

Store-brand knives seem okay, as do the Stanley versions and many others.  Milwaukee's Fastback and mini-Fastback are great knives, and ones I'll occasionally carry in lieu of a pocket knife.  In the end, it's kind of hard to mess up a utility knife, though I'm sure some companies do so.

Pouet    18

Thank everyone for the suggestions! I think I'll try the Dewalt that is foldable and retractable. The thing I don't like with the fastback is that when you are close to the wall (which happen a lot when cutting drywall), you lack space to open the knife. Maybe I'm exaggerating the motion but I really miss having a retractable knife right now.