Résumé Advice Needed

Stercorarius

Got a call from a different company. Told me they were interested in sitting down with me to see about working there. I'm all to eager to leave my current company. They told me to send over an updated resume and then they will set up a time. I've never had to do a resume before. Any templates you guys prefer? For the employers on here, what do you like to see? There are literally thousands of articles about what employers say they like to see, but I'm interested in a more blue collar perspective. 

New job is for a hay equipment tech. Basically what I do now but it wouldn't be minimum wage, have benefits, overtime, legitimate service truck, and from the guys I've talked to that work for them significantly less bullshit.

• Like 2

I'm not very good with resumes, I hate mine...but I just wanted to say, they probably just want something that isn't in crayon with a bunch of misspelled words. They're already wanting to talk to you, that's more than half the battle.

I'd go short and sweet, bullet points (skills, experience) and background info, no fluff ("I'm good at working with others" or "I work well with little direction"). Save that for the meeting, maybe mention it as a descriptor in your experience (describe "I was a member of a team which blah blah"). Again, I'm not the best with resumes but just my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Resumes...

I haven't had to seriously start one (yet), but there seems to be a few common themes every time I research this.  For one, orient the resume towards what your potential hirer wants to see.  In your case, emphasize your ability and experience in repairing various types of machinery and equipment.  Avoid using acronyms (if your current industry uses them) and make your resume easily readable by any employer.  Focus more on what you can offer than what you have done in the past (but don't completely omit your accomplishments).

I have a major decision to make in 4-8 years: federal/state job, JROTC instructor or regular teacher, retail management, small business owner, or getting back into a trade.  Hence, my resume is going to have to translate 20+ years of military experience and training, along with civilian education, job experience, and training, into something maximizing my potential as an applicant for a variety of jobs.  Resume building skills are necessary now more than ever; a good resume can not only help us gain employment, but can also ensure we start in a position where both the company and we are benefited the most.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not all that interested in paying someone to do it. 

I need to get it done today. Got some advice from my mom who apparently teaches this kind of stuff to the seniors.

Should be fairly easy to write as I just barely turned twenty so I only have about four years in the workforce if you don't count growing up in construction (which I won't).

3 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

Not all that interested in paying someone to do it. 

I need to get it done today. Got some advice from my mom who apparently teaches this kind of stuff to the seniors.

Should be fairly easy to write as I just barely turned twenty so I only have about four years in the workforce if you don't count growing up in construction (which I won't).

If you were paid and can claim it(it was/is a reputable company) I would claim it. If it's a family business you can claim it as a passion project, or you can claim it as something that taught you the value of hard work. I think it would be appreciated if they knew you grew up working and not as some lazy teenager. It's hard to dispel the myth of the lazy millennial, there are places that won't hire people you age because of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMack37 said:

If you were paid and can claim it(it was/is a reputable company) I would claim it. If it's a family business you can claim it as a passion project, or you can claim it as something that taught you the value of hard work. I think it would be appreciated if they knew you grew up working and not as some lazy teenager. It's hard to dispel the myth of the lazy millennial, there are places that won't hire people you age because of it.

Yeah, but most lazy millennials don't apply for jobs as hay equipment techs though. I hear what you are saying though and agree with it. I just need to find time to find a nice clean shirt to meet with them in. Probably wouldn't look all that great if I show up wearing the same stained coveralls that have been my outfit for the last year of my life.

• Like 1