Tough System Wall Rack Questions.

Jronman

So I got out the user manual for the wall rack and was looking through it so I would kinda get an idea of how to instal it into my garage. Seemed fairly straight forward. Assemble the rack then screw to studs then screw to floor. I checked for installation videos and could not find any but I always looked at how the bottom was tied to the floor. The rack was tied to a 2x then the 2x to the concrete floor. It mentions nothing about how to instal on a concrete floor in the directions. I would think that concrete would be the most common material to fasten the bottom to. So now to my question. Can I skip the 2x method and tie the wall rack directly to the concrete? I haven't even looked at what screws are provided. They might just be wood screws. If I have to do the 2x method what screws would you guys recommend to tie the 2x to the concrete? Would I need to use treated 2x for a garage floor? Do you guys got any other suggestions for rack instal? 

• Like 1

As the posts are resting on the concrete, there should be no issue with using tap-cons or drive pin anchors to fasten them to the concrete. The only thing you are trying to limit at that point is lateral movement. The wall mount brackets will have the most stress on them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 2:41 PM, Jronman said:

does the van rack use stronger brackets?

I know the van rack comes with folding arms to save space when not in use, unlike the wall rack. And I think the uprights might be made from a single rail instead of 3 pieces joined together (but  the images are a bit unclear).

My problem is securing the boxes to the wall rack.  The ToughSystem Trolley has a locking mechanism, but I can't see an easy way of adapting this to the wall or van racks.  Has anyone else managed to do this?

3 hours ago, Toolman Tim said:

I'm really looking for theft prevention on a wall rack in the workshop, rather than holding the boxes in place whilst driving the van.

I would a security system work better? The way I see it is a guy could easily cut the plastic and have access to whats inside the boxes. You could maybe have some kind of locking bar that you put in front of the rack to keep a guy from pulling out the boxes?

18 hours ago, Jronman said:

I would a security system work better? The way I see it is a guy could easily cut the plastic and have access to whats inside the boxes. You could maybe have some kind of locking bar that you put in front of the rack to keep a guy from pulling out the boxes?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I noticed the tough-system handcart has a concealed locking system that engages with a metal latch on the rear of each toolbox.   This makes it impossible to release the boxes from the handcart without a padlock key.  Unfortunately this system is built into the cart and not available with either the van or wall racks.  I might try to secure a 1cm diameter steel rod vertically behind the wall rack and inside the rear metal latch on each toolbox.  

• 7 months later...
17 hours ago, Sarbatche said:

Has anyone bought a wall rack recently? Are people still breaking these brackets?

I have instaled 3 since I made this thread. I havent broken any brackets but I wouldn't say I am rough on them either. The one rack I take off a couple boxes to take to work then I put them back on at the end of the day.