Heated Milwaukee jacket rated temp??

TheMidnightNarwhal

Short answer, no.

(I assume you are talking about the 3-1 heated jacket)

I use the heated vest now. Can wear it under anything. Stays close to the body. Doesn’t make you sweat like the heated hoodie can.

Always toasty and never need to go above low/medium.

Putting a hoodie under a jacket just moves the heat farther away from your body and adds another layer of insulation. In severe wind on a -30 to -35 day, the jacket doesn’t keep up unless it’s on high. Which won’t get you through the day.

the jacket doesn’t breath well either, I found it too easy to sweat in. Going in and out all day was a bitch because I would get hot too fast inside, then get a chill outside.

i wear the M12 vest with a Carhartt extreme arctic jacket. It’s awesome.

I would only wear a heated jacket if you know that there's no chance of the battery going out on you. Biggest mistake I made was wearing mine under my usual gear on a -15° Fahrenheit which is close to -30 C. It just gets you used to a heat source other than your body and then once it dies it's harder to tolerate the cold. It's one thing to go inside or get in a heated piece of equipment and then jump back out because the heat isn't so close to your body. I was always better off just wearing thermal underwear, sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, hoodie, insulated bibs and then a heavy coat and a mask if the wind kicks up than having heated gear. Probably nice just for being out in it for a little bit. Spending the money on warm boots was a better investment for me than any heated gear has ever been. 

• Like 1

Totally agree.

I should preface with my typical outerwear set up.

-30 I recommend and use the following:

Glove liners

sock liners - they are awesome.

Boot socks - holy crap, even more awesome. Like a slipper you wear over your sock.

thermal base layer - like long johns, lighter weight.

base layer tshirt/long sleeve

Carhartt Extreme Arctic Jacket

Carhartt Extreme Arctic Bibs

The M12 vest on low is perfect to keep the chill out and lasts all day.

• Like 1

Going to have to try sock liners now. My boots are rated to 40 below and the issue I have is sweating during the day and then they start to freeze when the sun goes down and I need it most. Hopefully they'll help keep my wools dryer. I did the cheap boots before but one brush with frostbite later and I but a new pair of boots every winter. Kamik makes a boot up in Canada that's only a $60 (USD) that's amazing. Only issue I've ever had is that I accidentally pressure washed a hole in mine last year. That was idiot error though, not manufacturing. My old pair was their ice breaker model. Trying the workday model this year. Seem more or less identical, but are rated for colder weather. Muck Boots are overpriced fluff imho. Kinda, well really off topic.

52 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

Short answer, no.

(I assume you are talking about the 3-1 heated jacket)

I use the heated vest now. Can wear it under anything. Stays close to the body. Doesn’t make you sweat like the heated hoodie can.

Always toasty and never need to go above low/medium.

Putting a hoodie under a jacket just moves the heat farther away from your body and adds another layer of insulation. In severe wind on a -30 to -35 day, the jacket doesn’t keep up unless it’s on high. Which won’t get you through the day.

the jacket doesn’t breath well either, I found it too easy to sweat in. Going in and out all day was a bitch because I would get hot too fast inside, then get a chill outside.

i wear the M12 vest with a Carhartt extreme arctic jacket. It’s awesome.

I was talking about this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my M12 heated hoodie story. I got it for Xmas three years ago and used around town, not at work. Great sweatshirt, just not work tough. I wore it to empty out a house that had a fire, lugging boxes but their was no heat in the house either. It quit working at the end of the day, new battery or not. Nothing. Put it in my closet and forgot about it. Now way past warranty. We moved and my wife pulled it out of a box and did some soldering and fixed it. Apparently I had some things in my front pockets and the boxes pressed down and separated the wire. I talked to a rep about it at hd a couple of weeks ago and he said the wire placement had changed.

I'm going to be doing a lot of outside work this winter and am hoping to pass it to her....so I can get the 3 in 1. I'm digging the heavy duty sweatshirt it comes with. I'll be doing some work around some ski resorts and I'll report back if it works for that environment.

I haven't seen any M12 3.0 amp hour batteries around, have they come out?

Wasn't that cold today, but tried it nonetheless, not too bad. On high it chomps through the 2 Amp pack in three hours just as the paperwork claims. On medium it should be good for four hours and on low a full eight hours. 

The temp on high wasn't bad, but would definitely improve if a coat was worn over the top, as previously suggested. I'll try that as the temps drop. 

I'll come back as I get more use and experience with it. 

Well, I gotta agree with Narwal, using a heated hoodie with an extra layer on top is definitely the way to go. I've been using mine for the past week and it's really working well, cold hands, but warm body! 

I've also taken note of Jeremys point and I'm being careful not to stress the cabling. 

If you can put up with the bulk of a 6 Amp pack it'll run all day on high! 

Loving it! 

I got my  Christmas gift early, the 3-1 heated Ripstop Jacket. It is a high quality sweatshirt, none of my Carhart, Walls, etc have protective coverage on the pockets and elbow/forearms. Heat works great. The outer jacket is real nice also with the protection on the pockets and the ripstop shell. It seems a little bulky in the middle, even with the sweatshirt under it. I'm not a wide guy though. Maybe a couple washes will let it lay more naturally. Very impressed with the zippers, underarm flex material and stitching.

It has been unseasonably warm here in the mountains, still not really cold enough for the heat. We would usually have had snowstorm a month ago....

• 6 months later...

Update, the job I had ended up not coming to fruition. I still used the jacket while hiking and walking the dog. Only occasionally at work, when moving you don't really need the heat on high. I only really used it during breaks and lunch. I used the heated sweatshirt underneath my regular work jackets because they are already worn but not dead. I use the outer jacket all the time as regular going out jacket. It's got clean lines and a simple look.

The heated gear is reasonable; I have 3 heated hoodies that I wear on low with a work jacket overtop to break the wind. I’m happy with them for what they are. Compact 3.0 would likely get good mileage, I find the 2.0s decent.

I gifted a heated hoodie to my dad and got him the handwarmer as well; he uses it ice fishing, etc. and likes it well enough. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I own both of them personally and they are fantastic, but I would really recommend the M12 heated jacket or hoodie, and not the jacket, as you can add more layers to it. For eg, you can add a sweat and a sweater on top of the sweater so your body can get the heat closer to your vest. The use of the jacket only allows you to place layers below to limit the effectiveness. I have a more relaxed wear with my sweater, go to the store and so, and it looks more fun. They work very well, however, so whatever you think is best for you.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yeah I've one M12 heated jacket and I recommend it. You can not only pair up with hoodies but tee shirts or shirt and you can wear sweatshirt that keeps you warm and and layer it with jacket. And sweater is a good option too. Although jacket allows us to layer it up with other clothes effectively and it is in trends now a days. But you know better know what is best for you and how to feel relaxed.